Jasmine and Pollen Beetle

Lubbyman

Link Posted 27/06/2019 - 23:37
Following a suggestion from Lennybloke, I've been experimenting with tubes on an FA77 as part of a project to photograph every type of flower in the garden. The aim of the project is to get 'interesting' pictures rather than just record shots. Here's one of the results.

The flower is Himalayan jasmine at about 1:1 magnification. There was a pollen beetle running around in every flower. This one posed for the shot so I thought it deserved its 15 minutes of fame. In fact, it seems to have replaced the flower as the star of the show.

Any comments or thoughts on the result of the tubes + FA77 experiment? Or messages to pass on to the beetle?

Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2019 - 16:04
The out of focus areas have a softer, dreamier look than many macro lenses would produce (IMO) - that's why I enjoy using portrait lenses with an extension tube, not specifically to make it true macro, just to bring the closest focus in a bit and allow the backgrounds to be rendered differently. You've done a good job with this one Steve, capturing the bug and petal textures with sharpness and detail yet the overall impact appears much gentler
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 01:16
Also, yellow is an absolute sod to get right and you've done it very nicely.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

derek897

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 13:34
I do love the look of these.
This is lovely too.
Nicely shot sir
I know what i like, If not always why.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/06/2019 - 16:27
Thanks folks. The experiment with tubes seems to be working.

davidwozhere wrote:
yellow is an absolute sod to get right

Very true. If the subject is yellow, I always reduce the camera's exposure by 0.5 - 1EV then adjust until the result is what I want. It seems to help. This was -0.7EV. Being in shadow also helped, no bright highlights to deal with.

derek897 - Today's macro challenge is the eyes of a pollen beetle. Way beyond me, but for someone of your macro capabilities ...

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 01:55
Lubbyman wrote:
Thanks folks. The experiment with tubes seems to be working.

davidwozhere wrote:
yellow is an absolute sod to get right

Very true. If the subject is yellow, I always reduce the camera's exposure by 0.5 - 1EV then adjust until the result is what I want. It seems to help. This was -0.7EV. Being in shadow also helped, no bright highlights to deal with.

derek897 - Today's macro challenge is the eyes of a pollen beetle. Way beyond me, but for someone of your macro capabilities ...

Steve

Ah the Joy's of holding yellows, and for me I can struggle with some reds. , I have some 135mm plus tubes I might add. I love the natural lighting and creamy oof areas.

Just for you Steve on a dandelion

Lubbyman

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 08:12
derek897 wrote:

Just for you Steve on a dandelion

That's very good indeed . Can't have been easy! I bet you didn't do it at 1.55am though...

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 10:38
No bloody chance, wouldn't fancy trying to get a dandelion at that time, let alone a pollen beetles eyes.

Sry

Link Posted 30/06/2019 - 22:28
LennyBloke wrote:
The out of focus areas have a softer, dreamier look than many macro lenses would produce...

Couldn't have put it better. Great shot.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 02/07/2019 - 01:11
That beetle is amazing. The blessed things are measured in millimeters!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.