J.Peg or Raw

flossie
Posted 16/06/2010 - 08:44 Link
Basically, if you are happy with the JPG's out of your camera, that's whats important.

But if you are dealing with any kind of challenging shot, a picture says a thousand words :

Comment Image


Left image was shot Raw but displayed using the in-camera settings - i.e. same as the camera could make a best-quality Jpg. Yes it would have looked like that, was shooting into the sun.

Middle image is converted to Jpg, reimported, then Fill Light recovery tool in Lightrom.
Right image is the same tool on the Raw version.

Look in particular at how blotchy the red is on the middle image...

This isn't a strict comparison as had been in/out of a few programs to knock this together in a simple form, but the effect isn't particularly exaggerated by that.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
terje-l
Posted 16/06/2010 - 09:28 Link
For a fair comparison, the middle example above should have been shot in JPG, not converted. But to be fair, this is one of the situations I would have considered RAW.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
terje-l
Posted 16/06/2010 - 09:37 Link
mattcambs wrote:
14bit versus 8bit tone range. Gee let me think....
RAW vs. JPG is 14 bit linear vs. 8 bit progressive, i.e. most bits are used where it matters most. So the difference is not as much as it seems. (ref. the article linked by Pete).

Mongoose wrote:
That said, if you want to see what can be done by a master who only shoots JPG, just have a look at John's portfolio.
Agreed. John sets the example to aim for. Why shouldn't we all manage similar images? (No offence, John, I am thinking technical quality, not your excellent compositional gifts).
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
aliengrove
Posted 16/06/2010 - 12:22 Link
I've found that shots that are hazy, for example aerial shots, pretty much anything in India (pollution) and here (dust), RAW files seem to cope better with contrast adjustments for mitigating the effect of the haze. When viewed at 100% the RAW files retain a lot more detail. Now I've just got into the habit of always shooting RAW.

However, if anyone has a few pointers on removing haze from JPEG's without degrading the image I'll give it a go.
JForeigner
Posted 16/06/2010 - 13:04 Link
I started off with JPEG's when I first got my camera, after a while, I tried shooting in RAW, and since then I have had no real reason to go back to JPEG's.
Armed with a K3, some M, A, FA, DA, and star lens. With an eye open for "just one more lens".

My PPG link
Ratcatcher
Posted 16/06/2010 - 13:05 Link
Quote:
John Wrote
Received wisdom doesn't change quickly and I do wonder how many RAW users have tried the excellent premium JPEG setting on the K20D. They might be surprised.
I totaly agree
Cayman
Posted 16/06/2010 - 13:41 Link
Excellent thread topic! I'm with John - JPEG at 14MP and **** quality straight out of the k20d is perfect. Interestingly, I also use the same settings as John in terms of sharpness etc. No real need to shoot raw and personally I cant be bothered with hours and hours of PP on the computer - would far rather spend the time getting the shot right in the first place. Makes me happy to know that I'm not alone and that most forum users seem very happy with JPEGs.
Steve Chasey
Posted 16/06/2010 - 13:58 Link
Another consideration is available storage capacity - if I'm shooting in the UK or our favourite Greek Island, then I'll use RAW all the time because I've enough SDHC cards to cover the number of images I'm likely to take.

However, if its a long trip and/or new ground, then I'll go to 4* JPEG. If I'd stuck with RAW last time away, I'd have needed at least 16 cards of 4 Gig capacity - double my inventory. I'm v happy with the K7's 4* JPEGs and the quality's excellant - as can be seen by the early morning shot of Mt cook I've posted.


Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
Anvh
Posted 16/06/2010 - 16:11 Link
Here is another read. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/RAW-file-format.htm

I shoot RAW because I like to process my photos and RAW give me the most capabilities to do that without loosing details. It just depends on what type of shooter you're.
I would only suggest RAW if you're willing to put time and effort in your photo at home.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Paulcollins
Posted 16/06/2010 - 19:21 Link
John I'm going to try those settings in my KM post some and see how close my 10.2 sensor compares with a 14.5 sensor, I've got plenty chances of taking pictures Friday ,as I'm off to Norwich for a look around including the museum.
Paul

johnriley wrote:
Quote:
what settings do people use that get 'baked in' to the JPEG?
+1 sharpness
Natural
sRGB
Daylight WB
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Paulcollins
Posted 16/06/2010 - 19:42 Link
I've posted one with the settings ,It's a violet flower
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Anvh
Posted 16/06/2010 - 20:12 Link
That's fast
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Paulcollins
Posted 16/06/2010 - 20:14 Link
I couldn't wait until Friday
Anvh wrote:
That's fast
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
MrCynical
Posted 16/06/2010 - 21:57 Link
My hoarding instincts mean that I shoot RAW: I like the idea of deciding I suddenly want the exposure to be three stops less, drastically changing the colours, or being able to non-destructively fix WB issues on the odd occurrence (mainly inside).

EDIT: Should add that I'm also a computer geek, so an excuse to spend time in Lightroom (which I got for free from Amazon Prime) is welcome.
Edited by MrCynical: 16/06/2010 - 22:00
wadna
Posted 17/06/2010 - 04:29 Link
I use RAW all the time for the flexibility & what I can get out of a file but at sport on 5fps I'm inclined to go with jpg.
Edited by wadna: 17/06/2010 - 04:30

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo