It`s time to say goodbye.

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Thread closed

japers45

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:00
No offence to any posters here but I find the use of words like "censorship" and "dictatorship" rather overblown. It is a slightly ridiculous position on a blooming photography forum. It seems lacking in perspective just because some of the moderation is not to your liking.

The most popular threads seem to be wherever there is some kind of dispute which is a real shame. There are some fantastic photos on the forum and some not so fantastic that need feedback to improve.

Peace

Eagle12

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:07
Hi to all PU members,
Regarding my comments on the forum recently, I have sent an apology to John R and also to Pentaxian450 for comments I made. I also feel that I must apologise to all PU members that I may have upset by my comments, they were rude and abusive and I sincerely apologise for that. BTW this has not changed my decision to leave PU. Goodbye all.

Ed.
Last Edited by Eagle12 on 17/11/2011 - 16:12

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:22
Eagle12 wrote:
Goodbye all.

Ed.

. My Flickr

nass

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:26
Frogfish wrote:
Don't really understand this Dave. I post on FOUR Pentax forums and two none-brand specific forums, some more than others (as some are more active than others) but I check them all regularly for interesting threads or threads where I may be able to offer what I consider to be a valid opinion.

There's nothing wrong with being a member of more than one social club, they are not exclusive. Why not just cherry-pick the threads you like as there will always be some !

+1

What people seem to lose sight of is that all these forums and sites competing for people's EXCLUSIVE attentions are just a little bit stupid in my opinion. You shouldn't ever let yourself become a slave to any one site, none of them own you. They are there as resources that are useful to you so go in and out of each and use each for the bits they're good at. They're all just tools for you, you're not an exclusive automaton owned by any of them.

So eventhough I'm a mod at a site which is not allowed to be mentioned because it's a competitor - how un-user friendly, pathetic and paranoid that policy is btw - doesn't mean I poo poo here because this place is so small compared to the other. This site is great for finding UK items for sale and deals for me as I live in the UK. but the idea that being exclusively in either because it's some cool kids club is... just WEIRD in my opinion.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Last Edited by nass on 17/11/2011 - 16:33

helios

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:18
When I first joined PU some years ago I found it to be a remarkably friendly helpful place to discuss photographic topics and Pentax equipment I thought this was partly due to the active but good natured moderators.

Recently the mood seems to have soured and members have become more touchy and ready to argue with the moderators. I agree that some of the rules about links to "competing" forums seem a bit pointless and irritating but we did all agree to the rules when we joined the forum so we are bound to observe them. If we feel strongly enough about it we can suggest to the management that the forum would be a better place with some revision of the rules but until they are changed it is pointless carping at the moderators when they apply the current regulations.

Talk of dictatorship or censorship is a bit over the top as we are all free to go to other forums whenever we like. Perhaps we could all relax a bit and get things into perspective - this remark applies to male members, the ladies seen to be remarkably good humoured.
Archie

johnriley

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:26
I'll just mention that we have no objection to nass or anyone else mentioning Pentaxforums, in fact we carried their original greetings without a murmur and they are regularly mentioned.

What we do object to is someone effectively saying, "This site is rubbish, come to this one it's much better." A step too far I think.
Best regards, John

japers45

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:37
johnriley wrote:
What we do object to is someone effectively saying, "This site is rubbish, come to this one it's much better." A step too far I think.

I think the moderation is more relaxed over there and its shows- there are some utter idiots tolerated. The lens databse is good though.

woodworm

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:53
japers45 wrote:
... I think the moderation is more relaxed over there and its shows- there are some utter idiots tolerated....

This is correct, which is one of the reasons I don't go there as often as I used to. Too much arguing over politics and religion (and I like an argument!). I do visit there occassionally but only when I'm looking for an answer to something.

I don't think the moderation here is that 'uptight' here either, I have no idea why people feel they have to leave because of it Personally, I feel the mods do a good job and you should all be grateful I'm not in charge!

Don

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:07
as one of the clowns that frequently gets his posts, threads etc locked or deleted, I've never felt the moderation to be unfair or heavy handed. I did a while back start a thread commenting that I intended to spend a lot less time here because there wasn't enough moderation on some issues... and I did take a sabbatical and have come back.
I think the forums value is stronger for the moderation it receives, because let's face it, there are other forums where you simply can't find a decent thread anywhere that actually ends civilly.

I get my share of tickets, so to speak, and respect those that choose a different route, but the bottom line is if you aren't willing to obey the traffic laws, don't take it out on the cop, he's just doing his job...

other routes with less cops you may get to speed with impunity, but you'll wind up in a wreck sooner or later, and hate that route as well...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 17/11/2011 - 18:10

Don

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:09
Mike-P wrote:
Eagle12 wrote:
Goodbye all.

Ed.

best answer ! I agree. Bye for now...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:26
It's all just a bit too dramatic for me if I'm honest.

Seems people are more interested in making a big thing about leaving instead of just getting on with it.

There are a few I do/will miss, others I am quite glad to see the back of and some I didn't even know were members but I do check every now and then ... the majority still pop in to take a peek at what is happening here.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 17/11/2011 - 18:29

fatspider

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:33
Quote:
What people seem to lose sight of is that all these forums and sites competing for people's EXCLUSIVE attentions are just a little bit stupid in my opinion. You shouldn't ever let yourself become a slave to any one site, none of them own you. They are there as resources that are useful to you so go in and out of each and use each for the bits they're good at.

But they can still be regarded as "competition" which could lure people like myself who don't have the time to read through several forums, PU could very easily lose me to the competition if I was so enticed.

As for the level of moderation on PU I have no problems whatsoever with it.
Someone has to do it and as long as that someone isn't me then I'm happy, A bit like a club I'm a member of (not my CC) members complain about the way the club is run but try and get them on the committee or to volunteer to do anything and they run a mile.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

sam-joseph

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 22:21
I've been a member for a couple of years, and the mood generally seems to change like the weather (for me, at least). This is a good thing. If everything was plain sailing, it'd be boring. And those times when it's all too stressful to follow a slanging-match thread to the end, I dust off the mountain bike and go for a blast in the bush. Thanks to all the confrontational PU members for getting me fit again!
Mike-P, your big, cheery smiley 'bye' face is the best reply I've seen, and it's only one word.
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70
Last Edited by sam-joseph on 17/11/2011 - 22:23

Stuey

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 22:38
I seem to have missed what all the fuss was about - I haven't noticed any moderation issues etc etc

Have I just not been paying attention, am I too laid back or is it that there has not been a problem

To be honest I don't really want any answers to that as I am happy here and intend to continue as I am

Hopefully the weather will improve this weekend and I can get back out with my camera (perhaps it is the weather that's been affecting peoples moods) - happy days (I hope)
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

nass

Link Posted 18/11/2011 - 12:02
johnriley wrote:

Fair enough, I do agree with that. Insofar that I think canvassing by people who have some axe to grind for whatever reason, with the idea that then site a/site b/site c is where the 'cool kids' hang out is a bit bleuuuuuuch for my taste. Treats me like a sheep which I'm definitely not. And really, politiking over... a forum? Get a life comes to mind =)

Where such a rule can easily be tricky though is say there's some thread here about some esoteric aspect of photography and there's some great info at some other forum it'd be tragic if you can't put a link to that (because it's a competitor site) eventhough it'd be beneficial to people here. DPR had that situation (hardcoded link bans to specific domains) but you get around it by using url shortening. I find that sort of thing pretty pathetic really, a symptom of the site management being more obsessed with its own rankings and traffic than providing a useful service for its members.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Thread closed