ISO help...

Snoops27
Posted 03/09/2014 - 20:53 Link
In the K-5 11s, in the ISO auto settings, there is the facility to change the parameters so that the sensitivity change will be either at a slow, standard(default), or fast rate. Are there any situations in which one would move from the standard setting?
Follow me, I'm right behind you...
McGregNi
Posted 03/09/2014 - 21:04 Link
Hi snoops, could you be more specific about about the exact menu / control item you are looking at plus the exact descriptions of the 3 options ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
johnriley
Posted 03/09/2014 - 22:18 Link
I use a fixed ISO, otherwise different shots in the same sequence may show different noise patterns, which isn't really what I want. I prefer to keep control of the parameters.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 03/09/2014 - 22:53 Link
I tend to use a fixed ISO too, one less variable to worry about
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Snoops27
Posted 04/09/2014 - 09:41 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Hi snoops, could you be more specific about about the exact menu / control item you are looking at plus the exact descriptions of the 3 options ...


Hi Nigel, it comes under "Setting the exposure" - "Setting the range of automatic sensitivity correction" - "iso auto setting" - "iso auto parameters"

#1 - slow - (increases the sensitivity as little as possible).
#2 - standard - (default setting).
#3 - fast - (actively increases the sensitivity).
There is a wee diagram illustrating the three options but I've no idea how to copy from a PDF doc.
Follow me, I'm right behind you...
McGregNi
Posted 04/09/2014 - 09:58 - Helpful Comment Link
Thanks for those extras details. That control option is not available on the K7 (and most likely K5 mk1 either), so I haven't any experience sorry ... Must be a newer feature on the II series cameras.

My suspicion though is that it probably only applies to shooting in the ' green square' mode, where you have no control over the exposure settings at all, so for most of us probably has no effect ... ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
wvbarnes
Posted 04/09/2014 - 10:34 - Helpful Comment Link
McGregNi wrote:
Thanks for those extras details. That control option is not available on the K7 (and most likely K5 mk1 either), so I haven't any experience sorry ... Must be a newer feature on the II series cameras.
?
It is a feature on the K5 under ISO auto settings on menu 3 of record menus (ones with camera pic in corner). It is on pages 96 and 97 of the excellent handbook. TAV mode (my preferred mode) on pages 110 111 states it only uses auto ISO although of course you can restrict the range.

I think it's fair to say its confusing where it works and where it doesn't but I guess AV and TV.
Gwyn
Posted 04/09/2014 - 13:19 - Helpful Comment Link
I have the front wheel set to control ISO and the rear wheel to control aperture or time depending on whether it is in Av or Tv mode.

ISO is automatic in either setting unless you set it up not to be. As others have said it is better to be able to set the ISO yourself and have more control over things.

If you are happy with auto ISO I would leave the ISO parameter at either slow or leave it at the default standard.
Snoops27
Posted 04/09/2014 - 14:05 Link
Everyone has helped in one way or another, so I'm really grateful for that. As I've not had the K-5 11s for very long, I'd only just stumbled upon this option and wondered what others had to say about these settings. I do find myself setting the ISO manually a great majority of the time but was curious to know if anyone had used this setting and if so, what they had chosen. It would seem that it's one of those "extra" settings that nobody bothers with and after reading all comments, I'll no doubt not bother either.
Thanks again guys..
Keep shooting !!
Follow me, I'm right behind you...
Smeggypants
Posted 04/09/2014 - 17:33 - Helpful Comment Link
I find I have more control over things when I use TAV ( auto ISO mode ) - I have both control over Shutter and Aperture that way. I used to use Av mode mostly, but I mostly use TAv for more control now.

I wouldn't think the ISO Auto setting response times work in TAv mode though as ISO will change to set exposure when shtuer or aperture changes. I think it's more of P mode
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
gartmore
Posted 04/09/2014 - 18:59 Link
Interesting to read how other people customise their camera settings
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
McGregNi
Posted 04/09/2014 - 19:18 Link
Well yes, but almost nothing at all has been said about the specific ISO control options that the OP asked about! I'm still assuming these choices to restrict auto ISO changes only apply to green mode, or perhaps P? In this way it's similar to the program line options for p mode. On any case, for real life photography I can only surmise the differences between the options would result in such subtle effects as to be fairly pointless?

Mostly were want hands-on firm control over ISO as we're making quality balancing - type judgements about the weighting of ISO and, say, shutter speed, depending on the intended output, our the lighting conditions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 04/09/2014 - 19:19
MrB
Posted 04/09/2014 - 19:34 - Helpful Comment Link
Snoops27 wrote:
In the K-5 11s, in the ISO auto settings, there is the facility to change the parameters so that the sensitivity change will be either at a slow, standard(default), or fast rate. Are there any situations in which one would move from the standard setting?
In the semi-auto shooting modes -

If set to Slow, the camera will keep the ISO as low as it can, while still giving a shutter speed adequate for the focal length of the lens being used. This could be important in a hand-held landscape shot, where you might want the noise to be as low as possible.

If set to Fast, the camera will raise the ISO (but keeping it below the set limit if it can) to give a much faster shutter speed for the focal length of the lens being used. This could be important if you want to reduce the motion blur of a moving subject.

Cheers.
Philip
wvbarnes
Posted 04/09/2014 - 19:35 Link
Hi all,

Like Smeggypants TAV does it for me. I set an aperture and shutter speed for the task from my head, the camera alters the ISO. If out of range I make a judgement on what to alter next. To me it is the best compromise between auto and manual use.
Edited by wvbarnes: 04/09/2014 - 19:35
Snoops27
Posted 04/09/2014 - 19:45 Link
MrB wrote:
Snoops27 wrote:
In the K-5 11s, in the ISO auto settings, there is the facility to change the parameters so that the sensitivity change will be either at a slow, standard(default), or fast rate. Are there any situations in which one would move from the standard setting?
In the semi-auto shooting modes -

If set to Slow, the camera will keep the ISO as low as it can, while still giving a shutter speed adequate for the focal length of the lens being used. This could be important in a hand-held landscape shot, where you might want the noise to be as low as possible.

If set to Fast, the camera will raise the ISO (but keeping it below the set limit if it can) to give a much faster shutter speed for the focal length of the lens being used. This could be important if you want to reduce the motion blur of a moving subject.

Cheers.
Philip
Thanks very much, MrB; now that you have explained, in language I can understand, how these settings work, when I've gained more experience with the camera, I'll see if they can be of some benefit to my photography.
Follow me, I'm right behind you...
Edited by Snoops27: 04/09/2014 - 19:50

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo