Is It Natural?
Posted 02/11/2012 - 00:28
Link
Hey, that sounds almost exactly like what I was saying before! I think that we compensate out the 'cast' on different surfaces based on our perception of the dominant natural tone on each object - eg the stonework in Davids picture. It is when the camera has not done this, spreading a single cast across the whole picture indiscrimimately, that we start to find it 'unnatural'.
Good to find some common ground
Good to find some common ground
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 02/11/2012 - 09:46
Link
I like the second shot, the first one was a bit purply. What settings on your camera did you use to take this please?
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 02/11/2012 - 10:54
Link
Hello
1. Natural or not this is a cracking shot David - I note the info given above about the split toning and this follows on from a conversation we had at Martin Mere in that the options exist in post processing so why not use them.
2. I don't think that it matters at all unless you were to represent it as being unprocessed when it is not and you have not so no problem - again it's a great shot and one I would be proud of but 4am - if I do have that kind of commitment I am yet to locate it
Dare I say it but surely 'artistic licence' applies to photo's as well.
Cheers
Stu
1. Natural or not this is a cracking shot David - I note the info given above about the split toning and this follows on from a conversation we had at Martin Mere in that the options exist in post processing so why not use them.
2. I don't think that it matters at all unless you were to represent it as being unprocessed when it is not and you have not so no problem - again it's a great shot and one I would be proud of but 4am - if I do have that kind of commitment I am yet to locate it
Dare I say it but surely 'artistic licence' applies to photo's as well.
Cheers
Stu
Posted 02/11/2012 - 12:13
Link
Quote:
If your aspiring to Shaun's or marklj's stuff (and there's no reason you shouldn't) then PP is going to play a very big part.
are you saying that Mark and shaun pp all of there photos and that none are Natural shots they are made in photoshop?? i think thats a bit of green eye there sean lol if so i for one would like to hear what shaun and mark have to say to that ??
If your aspiring to Shaun's or marklj's stuff (and there's no reason you shouldn't) then PP is going to play a very big part.
Thanks Richard
Posted 02/11/2012 - 13:22
Link
I just can't get the image of Smeggy out of my head, sat in the back of a car bombing up or was it down the M whatever, with a bit of blue gel gafferd over his face it's made my day ... I must try it . jeff....
Posted 02/11/2012 - 20:54
Link
AuraTodd wrote:
I like the second shot, the first one was a bit purply. What settings on your camera did you use to take this please?
Hi Aura, the settings used were:I like the second shot, the first one was a bit purply. What settings on your camera did you use to take this please?
Camera Make: PENTAX
Camera Model: PENTAX K-5
Date Taken: 2012-09-22 06:28:52
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
F-Stop: f/8
ISO Speed Rating: 200
Focal Length: 16 mm
Metering Mode: Pattern/Matrix
Exposure Time: 2.0 sec
Regards
David
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7671 posts
16 years
Smegland
I have some comments on the 'brain' - I come from an Audio engineering background , amongst other things and our brains will compensate for an uneven frequency response.
For example I could play a pecie of music with the HF boosted and at first it will sound very trebly. but after a while the brain compensates. Take away the HF boost and return it to flat response and it'll sound very dull for a while until the brain readjusts
The Brain also does this with colour. Many years ago as an experiment ( I was bored ) on a long car journey I held a peice of blue lighting gel in front of my face ( no I wasn't driving ) for a few hours.
Got to the destination and removed the lighting Gel. For about 20 minutes I couldn't see blue. My brain had compensated for the heavy blue colour cast and 'equalised' it out. And then it took some time to recover.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283