is it doomed

cabstar

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 12:52
Algernon wrote:

Or this man this at a fashion show (note all at f/2.8 )

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4284156

--

And that post proves the problem with Pentax apart from two of those images they’re all shot when the model is static at the end of the runway and only two are of the models walking.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 13:09
And what do musicians do

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4000694

This one's moving...

http://www.pbase.com/mankhunchan/image/122820136

So are these...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4237901

Just take photos stop moaning

Edit: Just for comparison this is a review of the Tamron 70-210mm mostly at f/4....... Not very good. The Pentax at f/2.8 whips it's ass

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4237901
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 21/05/2018 - 13:23

stu62

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 14:16
Just take photos stop moaning

--[/quote]

but you are always moaning so when you stop moaning we know that we have to call the doctor because you are ill

stu62

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 14:19
However aside from what we personally want and need, we want Pentax to continue to exist, as well.[/quote]

yes but they need to open there eyes see what is going on and act

as some one said you cant keep going on reputation

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 14:30
Pentaxophile wrote:
Pentax can't rely on sensor/image quality any more, now it's the camera features that make the difference.

Oh that’s a really good point there.

Pentax has always been able to eek more out of a given sensor than the rest. To put imaginary numbers on it, they could get 48 where the rest would get 43.

We are generally seeing smaller incremental sensor improvements between models now, as the technology has plateaued compared to massive leaps of the early days.

Now that sensor performance is pretty darn good across the board, the impact of that Pentax advantage seems smaller. Eg we now score 93 vs 91 for the completion, and both are really good.

At which point you turn to additional features, both ergonomic as John says (grip, menu style, customisable etc) but also electronic, (such as focus ability, tracking AF, focus peaking, video capabilities, GPS, wifi, touchscreen for image review etc), and sales, (such as price, deals, support, warranties, ability to purchase locally/online, training videos, events, social media presence, support forums/user community etc).
Last Edited by richandfleur on 21/05/2018 - 14:32

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 14:33
stu62 wrote:

Seems to work for Morgan Cars 14% growth last year. Still using wood in car production

Maybe Pentax should have never stopped making the Spotmatic Morgan brought back the 3 wheeler so there's still hope for a Spotmatic iii

How about a tie up free Spotmatic iii with every Morgan sold

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 21/05/2018 - 14:34

stu62

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 15:41
Algernon wrote:
stu62 wrote:

Seems to work for Morgan Cars 14% growth last year. Still using wood in car production

Maybe Pentax should have never stopped making the Spotmatic Morgan brought back the 3 wheeler so there's still hope for a Spotmatic iii

How about a tie up free Spotmatic iii with every Morgan sold

--

And chris as said at srs that if they made one like that he could sell them Like no business

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 16:38
The Kii has excellent AF ....... see .....

K1 ii can actually auto focus at World Speed Challenge and Porsche GT cup
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4284862

--

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 17:02
Algernon wrote:
The Kii has excellent AF ....... see .....

K1 ii can actually auto focus at World Speed Challenge and Porsche GT cup
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4284862

--

We all know, because we're told so, that Pentax cameras can't focus on anything, apparently. Therefore all those images just have to be fake mock ups.
John K

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 17:03
Presumably he was trying to focus on the grass every time, but the camera kept being fooled and locking on to those damn annoying cars screaming around !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 21/05/2018 - 17:04

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 17:17
It was a bunny rabbit on the grass actually

Algi

edin_togger

Link Posted 28/05/2018 - 08:55
I have to say the warning signs don’t look great right now with the number of retailers fully supplying Pentax stuff dwindling ever further.

LCE recently got rid of most of their stuff, WEX look to be doing the same - basically “liquidating” used stock based on some of the prices for lenses and things like the 31mm f1.8 don’t even appear on their site anymore.

If I could get a full set of the glass I’d need I’d consider another K1, for landscapes there’s little to beat it and a used D810 is actually dearer!

stu62

Link Posted 28/05/2018 - 09:38
I think Ricoh need to sit down rethink their strategy and kick a few butts and pull the finger out there arse and start to communicate with there customer base not just in Japan and the US but here in the UK

Aitch53

Link Posted 28/05/2018 - 11:24
stu62 wrote:
I think Ricoh need to sit down rethink their strategy and kick a few butts and pull the finger out there arse and start to communicate with there customer base not just in Japan and the US but here in the UK

Perhaps you should be glad not everything makes it out of the far east...
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

walt

Link Posted 28/05/2018 - 12:30
I think Pentax is just taking a different direction to the one I want and others, I assume, from some posts I've read. I shoot a lot of wildlife and macros, virtually no landscapes. When I started with Pentax/Ricoh it was manual focus, lots of travel landscapes, family snaps some wildlife and motorsport. It was good to have a compact kit as all my travels were on motorbikes. Then AF came along so I gravitated more to wildlife as it got easier, still taking a lot of landscapes though. Into the digital age and macros really drew my attention (take loads of shots and bin all but the best, great fun) along with wildlife and birds in flight. I liked the compact nature of the bodies and the FA*300 F4.5 I had from the film days. Then af started to frustrate me, so I added Canon (APSC) for my wildlife, but the lens I had, Sigma 100-300 F4, was big and heavy, for it's focal length, compared to Pentax. So I stopped using the Canon and eventually succumbed to all the talk of the DA*300 F4 being an excellent lens. That was a mistake, the DA* just doesn't cut it for AF even compared to my FA*. Pentax released the huge 150-450 (IMO) and so I went back to Canon again with the Tamron 150-600 enjoyed it a lot, and have added the Tamron 100-400 for a lighter weight kit. So it seems to me that it's all turned on its head my Canon Kit is longer than the Pentax zoom and lighter. Of course it always been more proficient at AF.
MY K3 has the Sigma 180 macro on it most of the time, but my olympus with the 60mm macro is used more often because it is just so good at macro and lightweight. My Pentax gets left at home more and more, and I just have no interest in the K1. So, as I said Pentax have just chosen to go in a different direct to me and to what it used to do. That's life, it's an emotional struggle sell off the Pentax kit, but it's gathering more and more dust and now the K30 has stopped working perhaps due to it being used so little, and I worry about the sdm motor in the DA* going the same way through lack of use...
I would be really happy with a K3 that matched the Canon 7D af and a faster interface, add that to my 300 with it's 1.4x converter and that would be a nice portable walk around solution. But I'd still be lacking the longer lens of the tamron/sigma 150-600. Lenses (for wildlife) and AF are what these days keep me in a system and that is where I think Pentax is now behind the competition.
I know someone said that Sigma has no Zooms for Sony, but they have the MC-11 converter which converts all their Canon EOS fit lenses (and Canon's own brand), to work with their mirrorless systems. That's a huge range, although I have no experience of Sony, yet..
I assume Pentax know their business model better than me and if they can sell enough top end expensive kit with a higher margin then that will counter a reducing user base.
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa
Last Edited by walt on 28/05/2018 - 12:36
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.