is it doomed

JForeigner

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 10:08
At the time I was after the full fat version 70-200mm f2.8, and not the slimmed down APS-C equivalent. I can't see me replacing the Tamron unless it gets dropped, or damaged.

Regards

Gary
Armed with a K3, some M, A, FA, DA, and star lens. With an eye open for "just one more lens".

My PPG link

stu62

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 11:40
JForeigner wrote:
At the time I was after the full fat version 70-200mm f2.8, and not the slimmed down APS-C equivalent. I can't see me replacing the Tamron unless it gets dropped, or damaged.

Regards

Gary

And I think in the next year or 2 that will be dropped from the tamron line up as they have already developed a new one but not in ok fit

Don

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 12:36
ah, the Pentax *ist-doomed camera model....
been hearing about this one for decades.
sad but true the brand is languishing behind the competition in some areas, but is still putting out formidable cameras, that are great value for stills photographers.

I can't say one way or the other what the future holds for the iconic name, but I suspect they'll continue to lose people over things like AF speed, video features and lens selections... also third party support for things like wireless ttl camera strobes....

or they'll adapt and save the brand....
the one thing is certain in my mind, having started the transition to sony only for my future is this...
they can't as a business survive for ever if they're only trading on the NAME. other iconic brands have tried and failed using that business model in the past.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Aitch53

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 13:35
Hmm, with respect to this thread and a couple of others, I compared the Ricoh-Imaging UK products page with their on-line official store page. There's a lot more items on the former.

Whether this is because
1. they can't (for some reason) get the items in question - about to be dropped or
2. they could, but don't see the UK as a market worth putting much effort into or
3. they can't be bothered updating the page(s)
I don't know. But it does make me wonder...

Just noticed - the store page is EU, not UK. Don't know how that affects things.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

Algernon

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 13:42
stu62 just moans for the sake of moaning

Sometime ago he was moaning about the Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8 being delayed. It was released and because he's now moaning about other makes of 70-200mm not being available I presume he never intended to buy one.

It would be the same if other makers released K mount versions. He wouldn't buy them

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

stu62

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 15:11
Algernon wrote:
stu62 just moans for the sake of moaning

Sometime ago he was moaning about the Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8 being delayed. It was released and because he's now moaning about other makes of 70-200mm not being available I presume he never intended to buy one.

It would be the same if other makers released K mount versions. He wouldn't buy them

--

that was a fair moan back then when they say its going to be releast and 18 month latter you are still waiting after the time they said it would be releast most of the main companys would say somthing not keep stum and then bring it out at nearly double the price off the competitors equivalent and as some body as already said you cannot trade on the reputation off the name there is a member on here that as moved brands and his keep rate as increased by 50% that is a huge increase

and to say this is a pentax users forum the people that run it are rather quiet also when it comes to finding things out i would have thought they would be pushing ricoh for more interviews and not just from local but from japan the big boys

but it seems that the big boys here are scared of ricoh as well

HarisF1

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 15:39
It's a user run website so I don't think we'll have as much access to the 'big boys' as the US forums who have a bunch of ambassadors and insiders.

RobL

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 20:06
My default preference is a Pentax lens unless one doesn’t cover what I want and it makes sense to get the best you can. I have accumulated several over time and always take advantage of special deals and an ‘as new’ used f2.8 24-70mm from a fellow member. My latest is the f2.8 70-200mm* bought for £700 below list price from Park Cameras. Ditto with accessories like tripods. Unless photography is your business there is no reason not to wait until the right deal comes along.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/05/2018 - 22:20
Don wrote:
I can't say one way or the other what the future holds for the iconic name, but I suspect they'll continue to lose people over things like AF speed, video features and lens selections... also third party support for things like wireless ttl camera strobes.... .

Cononmark now offer a TTL radio triggered strobe system for Pentax ....
link

Also the Phottix Odin II comes in a Pentax P-TTL / HSS version ...
link

If these aren't enough then Cactus will soon release a lithium battery powered strobe that will fully integrate within it's V6II P-TTL / HSS ecosystem .... link

In terms of professional grade lighting support with Pentax DSLRs, things look very bright!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/05/2018 - 22:31

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 00:40
Just as an observation, I think Pentax/Ricoh have been caught in a changing market.

Their cameras are just as good as they ever were for taking photos. That hasn't changed and capability wise in this area they are still fine.

What has changed though is customers expectations of what a camera device should be able to do, and this is being driven by other manufacturers product offerings.

Customers no longer need to purchase a whole different system/kit to take video as well as stills. They're simply not two different things anymore, in terms of the offerings available through most other manufactures today. Even what I would call Pentax's direct competition: Fuji and Olympus, have upped their video game considerably and now feature sensor IBIS as well.

In addition, dynamic object identification and focus tracking is going to become a major area moving forward. Pentax is going to have to do something in this area, and I suspect it's going to require in lens motors rather than somewhat legacy in body screwdrive AF motor. Mirrorless is going to be a major contender in this, given they have forcus points right across the whole sensor, so are able to track the identified object across the whole field of view, and not just in the middle area.

So, I'm not saying this very well (jetlagged) but I think the perception of what a camera should be able to do has changed a fair bit/will continue to change, and the product Pentax has been providing happily will slide further away from this if not addressed. Cellphones have a lot to do with this now also, with face detect AF and exposure setting to match, HDR etc along side 4K video . More and more electronic devices are expected to do more, and public perception (along side what other manufacturers are already doing in these areas) will require traditional DSLR manufacturers to innovate.

I'm really hoping this doesn't sound negative. It's not intended to.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 08:48
˄ Agree.

In terms of tech Canon and Nikon are perceived as playing catch up with Sony FF mirrorless right now, but Pentax seems to still be playing catch up with where Canon and Nikon were several years ago. Pentax can't rely on sensor/image quality any more, now it's the camera features that make the difference. Saying 'oh well we used to manage with single point AF' etc isn't going to cut it with the mass market or reviewers.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Algernon

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 09:09
With over 60 years experience Pentax are World Leaders as far as Movies are concerned.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROJECTOR-PENTAX-P80-WITH-INSTRUCTION-BOOK/2732262245...

German Engineering at it's very best!
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 21/05/2018 - 09:18

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 09:20
Now THAT'S cutting edge!

johnriley

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 09:30
It could be very useful for anyone with any Super8 films. We still have three Super8 projectors and we do have some films from previous generations of the family. We don't often watch them, but we can when we want to.

As for catch up or not, it only matters if we need something that Pentax can't do. Then obviously we would look for something else. Upgrading also only matters when there's something to be gained, and all DSLRs seem to be pretty much at the top of their game.

So, it's down to ergonomics, aesthetics and all the other things that make a camera fit or not. Most people never realise there's a difference, others use everything in sight, each to his or her own.

Ultimately it's all about getting out there and shooting images, isn't it?
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 21/05/2018 - 09:31

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/05/2018 - 09:42
I'm perfectly satisfied using a 5 year old camera. I'd probably be happy enough with a K10D to be honest!

However aside from what we personally want and need, we want Pentax to continue to exist, as well.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.