Irix 150mm Macro

Algernon

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 08:01
That's impressive focussing.

The magnifying eyecup is a big help with manual focussing even with the K-1.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 12:01
The focussing was a surprise to me when I got home and saw them on a big screen. Particularly as I wear varifocals that were tending to mist up when looking through the viewfinder. I don't think I could have done it with any of my AF lenses, the focus rings rotate too easily. But of course, that might be different for someone else.

The Irix team say they are photographers who want to "create the photographic products they had always wished to have in their hands". I can't comment on their other lenses, but at least for this one it's perhaps a bit more than just marketing hype.

Steve

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 13:15
Algernon wrote:
That's impressive focussing.

The magnifying eyecup is a big help with manual focussing even with the K-1.

--

It is good, but I have lost two as they seem to come off the camera with ease. A third succumbed to water damage, so currently neither my K3 or K1 have one!
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

Algernon

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 13:40
I lost several of the screw in type, but the Pentax OME53 magnifying eyecup just pushes on and needs some force to push it off.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

BarryE

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 16:42
Lubbyman wrote:
This one for Barry E. Here are a few non-macro pictures, focus ranging from about 20 yards to about 3/4 mile. Done while walking the dog, K3 held by one hand, other hand holding dog on lead and focussing with a couple of fingers, so challenging to say the least! SR on. Aperture and ISO chosen to give exposure time less than 1/(1.5f). Viewfinder with OME53 magnifying eyecup. Minimal processing of DNG files, slight sharpening of raw then sharpen (USM) after resizing to 1200px horizontal.

Focussing was easier than I expected, the focus ring rotates smoothly and precisely with a reasonable amount of 'resistance'. The short distance on the focus ring between near distance and infinity means you've got to be careful. But it's possible and should be even easier with a tripod and live view.

1. Focus on gate, guess about 20 yards away

2. Focus on gate, guess about 150 yards away

3. Focus on swans, guess about 3-400 yards away

4. Focus on pole in centre, guess about 3/4 mile away

Make of them what you will!

Steve

Very many thanks Steve that's a big help. I tend to use tripod and manual focus with a loupe, so slooow photography - the limited distance focusing throw is tobe expected, I guess.

I'm getting closer to pressing the button as the reports seem to be coming in positively. I really like their 15mm (my only non-Pentax) lens and in my tiny way would like to support Irix for including K-mount.
Last Edited by BarryE on 20/02/2019 - 16:44

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/02/2019 - 22:00
Another one for BarryE (and a bit heavy on pictures). Here's what it's like for shooting into bright light. Can't get much brighter than the sun. No subtlety here, just focus and shoot in Av with the sun in different places in the frame. Lens hood on for all. Same processing as before. It was hard to get any artefacts at all and definitely not a lens for starbursts. There's one artefact in the opening sequence and a couple in the last two shot through trees, but that's about it out of a much bigger set. (The hint of banding in some of the opening sequence is probably a jpg issue as I can't see it in raw.)

"slooow photography" - so you don't do it while walking a dog??

Don't feel obliged to press the button ... but I'm enjoying this lens and it sounds like you would too

Steve

BarryE

Link Posted 21/02/2019 - 06:51
Very many, Steve. Looks like it handles tricky flare conditions well. I have the DFA 100mm and though it's reported as being good in these sort of conditions, I do find it can struggle a bit more than expected. The extra 50mm gives a few extra degrees of view and looks like it might well be better into the sun. I will try and get to the NEC show next month to try the handling as it a bigger lens than I'm used to carrying - this is likely to be the deciding point.
You're right about my technique not be dog walking compatible. I've sometimes been known to wait for hours at the same spot if I think the light might fall right - no dog would put up with that kind of abuse !

Lubbyman

Link Posted 21/02/2019 - 10:32
Quote:
wait for hours at the same spot if I think the light might fall right - no dog would put up with that kind of abuse !

Just had a wicked thought. The dog is always on a lead because she would head off and not come back for ages (from bitter experience...). Now, if she could be trained to come back when the light is right, she would get her exercise and I could do slooow photography ...

Yes, the Irix is bigger and heavier than most 100mm macros. But when you're used to carrying a camera with DA* 300mm f4 + TC attached, it seems small and light weight!

If you do get to the NEC show, I hope they offer you a discount.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.