Irix 11mm Firefly

JAK
Posted 20/07/2017 - 19:29 Link
cvhennessy wrote:
The problem is with a lot of these reviews is that they are some time in the past. There weren't any 36mp full frame cameras around in 2012 and the majority of cameras would have been approx 12-16 mp apart from the £5000 pro jobs. So excellent is in relation to those cameras . The Samyang is mushy when you drill down into the images. The problem I have with the Irixes is that when I download the sample images from the reviews they don't look particularly good, then theres always the question of whether excellence is an absolute term or relative to price point, which is never made that clear in the reviews. Seriously thinking of dumping pentax because of having to hunt around for old film lenses which are of variable quality plus the appalling focusing. Did a colour run for my sons school and had a number of back of head shots because the camera refused to lock focus as I followed them round.
Well I use the Samyang on the K-1 and am very pleased with it, even the corner resolution is good (just compare to a Sigma!!) The Samyang won't focus lock as its a manual focus lens though there should be the confirmation focus beep. DOF is so great with these extreme wide angles almost everything can appear to be reasonably in focus.
I'm sure you must have seen some fantastic photos taken with these lenses. I reckon you're simply expecting too much by pixel peeping! I expect you could pay many times the price of these and get little extra in return, given the complexities of making extremely wide lenses. If money's no object, try another brand. I note the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM sells for around £2K, nearly 10 times the cost of the Samyang. I bet it isn't 10x better and what cost the camera you'd use it on?

JR wrote one of those reviews, perhaps he could add his take on it and clarify your concerns about the method of the reviews.

Edit: A further thought has come to mind, if you're using an extreme wide angle it's surely to cover a wide field of view. If your intended FOV is much less, rather than crop the wide angle, why not use a more normal focal length lens and fill the frame. Otherwise, have you tried the Pentax 15-30? It would cost less than a complete new system.
John K
Edited by JAK: 20/07/2017 - 20:15
johnriley
Posted 20/07/2017 - 23:03 Link
The descriptions of excellence are against the potential of the camera used, not an absolute value. It's not connected to price point in terms of performance. Price only becomes part of the Value For Money equation, but that's not just about price.

So a lens tested on a 16MP camera will deliver different figures to one tested on a 36MP camera, and the difference is taken into account. Of course two 16MP cameras can be compared directly.
Best regards, John
RobL
Posted 21/07/2017 - 07:33 Link
Going back to the issue of filters, the Lee Filters SW150 system is designed for ultra wide angle lenses and has a special mount for the Pentax 15-30mm. When I bought mine from SRB Photographic the boss told me that if one didn't fit they could make/adapt one that did - "it is what we do". 11mm might be too much of a stretch but it could be worth seeing what is done for other manufacturers' lenses in this regard.

PS a SW150 adaptor is made for the Canon 11-24mm full frame lens so maybe something could be done for the Irix.
Edited by RobL: 21/07/2017 - 07:57
sebas77
Posted 22/07/2017 - 10:29 Link
I don't know about the 11 but the 15 is a great lens and I love the fact I bought their nd filters for 24 euros

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo