Internal battery

john941

Link Posted 09/05/2012 - 19:59
A friend of mine has just had to change the internal battery in his Nikon because the time and date went dead. I was wondering if our Pentax cameras have one to keep the time and date memory in tact.

cbrog

Link Posted 09/05/2012 - 20:25
In your computer date & time and certain other basic info is kept in battery powered CMOS Ram - I guess it is the same in a digital camera?

Roger.

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 09/05/2012 - 20:29
If the K-5, K-7 and K10D have one then there is no user access to it, and no reference to one in the manuals. The *istD has what’s referred to as a ‘Backup’ battery which is accessed via a cover on the bottom of the camera.

It would not surprise me if there is one in the current models but I guess they expect it to last the lifetime of the camera, if it did fail then the camera would need to be returned to have it changed.

JAK

Link Posted 09/05/2012 - 23:00
It may not be a battery, it could be just a capacitor. Many compact cameras loose their settings if left with a run down or no battery. Anyone experienced that with a Pentax DSLR? I'm sure there is a thread here where someone was saying their camera would not remember its settings when it was turned off and back on again. A duff battery/capacitor might cause that.
Mention was made of a Nikon camera having an extra call for its internal clock. The Canon EOS I had for a time did too, but none of my Pentax's do.

John
John K

johnriley

Link Posted 09/05/2012 - 23:26
It's probably a capacitor as if you leave the camera with no battery in it for long enough the settings will be lost.

Something has to ensure the various memory items are kept intact whilst batteries are changed, or if they run down.
Best regards, John

johnha

Link Posted 10/05/2012 - 00:07
It's really only the clock that requires power, other general settings are likely stored in some form of non-volatile memory. There's a lot of menu options and other parameters, but when you squash them all into binary bits they don't take much space. As has been mentioned, capacitors are probably more common today (and are used in various 'kinetic' type watches).
PPG Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.