Inspired by Derek and back my macro roots!
Posted 10/07/2018 - 07:45
Link
swarf wrote:
Wow - your old kit still works then!!
Phil
They do don't they, Wow - your old kit still works then!!
Phil
Well it didn't take you long to get back into the groove, with shots like these,
Super.
The pollen beetle is my fav, just love the light, tones and composition
Back with a bang sir.
Looking forward to seeing much more.
Thanks for the mention too
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 10/07/2018 - 08:02
Link
Superb set, excellent photography and with butchered kit as well !!
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 10/07/2018 - 08:07
Link
My favourite pastime even though I get robbed for it. Great shots.
C&C welcome.
Don.
Don.
Posted 10/07/2018 - 08:22
Link
You members of the Professor Branestawm society can certainly deliver the results
That first shot is pretty scary first thing in the morning - I like the softening of highlights you've created with the softbox, good overall illumination without receding into blackness. Nice little set, and I'm glad to see you're getting your Macro Mojo back
That first shot is pretty scary first thing in the morning - I like the softening of highlights you've created with the softbox, good overall illumination without receding into blackness. Nice little set, and I'm glad to see you're getting your Macro Mojo back
LennyBloke
Posted 10/07/2018 - 08:31
Link
Great set David. I love the opening shot, albeit a bit sinister looking, Also the pollen beetle looks good too. Must get back into this as well...
Andy
Posted 10/07/2018 - 14:24
Link
Impressive magnification and IQ, for such a (I presume) small outlay. The bugs have never been an area of photography I really enjoy looking at, however as I tell Derek, I can certainly appreciate the skill and stealth involved.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/07/2018 - 14:30
Link
Well you certainly haven’t lost your touch David... super set... not my area of expertise so can’t offer any technical thoughts, but I particularly like the head-on shots 1 & 3... really direct... top stuff...
Best
Best
Posted 11/07/2018 - 22:18
Link
Thanks all for the comments, I do need to do more of this stuff, I enjoy it and used to be a lot more prolific than I am recently!
I might use the spare afternoon we now have on Sunday since England went out of the World Cup!
Cheers
David
I might use the spare afternoon we now have on Sunday since England went out of the World Cup!
Cheers
David
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4934 posts
15 years
Sheffield,
England
I like to look at derek897's macro images as it reminds me of what I used to do a lot of. I used to spend hours in the back garden with all manner of home-made kit, shooting macro images with my K-x or my K-5. These past few years, I don't seem to have had much spare time, but decided yesterday to spend a few minutes with my K-5iis and D FA 100 F2.8 Macro WR lens. Then tonight I rolled out the best bit of kit I ever cobbled together, which is my de-glassed FA 28-80 zoom lens, with a reversed Nikkor F2.8 Enlarger Lens fixed to the front. With a powerful manual flashgun on the hotshoe and a cheap ebay Softbox attached to the flash, this is a versatile and powerful macro combination, capable of pretty extreme magnification levels.
Here are a few shots from my venture back to macro, hope you like, all comments welcomed.
1. Damselfly Eyes with Butchered Zoom + Nikkor lens, Aperture F32, Flashgun
2. Pollen Beetle on Bird's Foot Trefoil Flower with Butchered Zoom + Nikkor lens, Aperture F32, Flashgun
3. Damselfly with D FA 100 F2.8 WR Macro lens on extension tubes, Aperture F13, Flashgun
4. Marmalade Hoverfly with D FA 100 F2.8 WR Macro lens, Aperture F5, Daylight, no flash
5. Marmalade Hoverfly with D FA 100 F2.8 WR Macro lens, Aperture F5, Daylight, no flash
Cheers
David
Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu
Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs