Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Inkjet Printer for Photos

morelia
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:12 Link
As I am now struggling to keep our present ancient but excellent Epson 750 printer going, I want to buy a replacement. Basically for photos but a good all-in-one machine would be fine.
Can anyone recommend something currently available please.
Canon MP630 has good reviews but---?
Edited by morelia: 08/02/2009 - 16:15
Prieni
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:22 Link
My old Epson Stylus Photo 870 has developed an incurable smear syndrome, so I have an Epson Stylus Photo R800 on order. Maybe next weekend I am able to report back on it's qualities.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
ttk
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:24 Link
morelia wrote:
As I am now struggling to keep our present ancient but excellent Epson 750 printer going, I want to buy a replacement. Basically for photos but a good all-in-one machine would be fine.
Can anyone recommend something currently available please.
Canon MP630 has good reviews but---?

Depends on what you have to spend.
Tel,
loskeran
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:27 Link
It is basically what ever you want, many will say Epson others Canon and even HP.
Just look at the running costs, etc.
I have 3 printers all Epson the A3 is the R1400, exellent for A3 colour, an A4 R285 Cheap as chips to run and quality prints and an all in one for general copying etc.
But if you want to print "black&white" and money no object then you will have to buy the "topend" of any make ie; the ones with up to 3 blacks.
loskeran
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:32 Link
Prieni wrote:
My old Epson Stylus Photo 870 has developed an incurable smear syndrome, so I have an Epson Stylus Photo R800 on order. Maybe next weekend I am able to report back on it's qualities.

Prieni

I just hope the R800 you are going to get is not like mine was, a nightmare, bad is not the word for it, I "binned" it in the end.
ttk
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:33 Link
Stick with what you know, if you have always used Epson then replace with a Epson.
I use a Canon pro printer for up to A3+ always have done always will, but saying that a use a Epson A2+ as well.
Tel,
Prieni
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:35 Link
loskeran wrote:

I just hope the R800 you are going to get is not like mine was, a nightmare, bad is not the word for it, I "binned" it in the end.

Uh oh, I think your hope is nothing compared to mine
I did look at the R1900 it just seems too big for me...
I'll let you know when I have it.

Prieni

P.S.: When looking at the running cost, don't make the mistake to calculate how much a liter of ink costs. That is really off-putting
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
iceblinker
Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:56 Link
I'm looking to buy a new printer too, for colour photos, and would be interested in opinions on....

What produces the best quality at A4 for £250?
~Pete
morelia
Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:07 Link
ttk wrote:

Depends on what you have to spend.

Up to £250 also.
ttk
Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:26 Link
Tel,
pentaxian450
Posted 08/02/2009 - 18:00 Link
I use three HP Photosmart printers, and love all three. The HP Photosmart D7160 is A4 and cheap to buy and cheap to operate. The B9180 is A3+. It includes an on board colormeter to calibrate the color "on the go". Then' I just got a new Z3200. This one is 24 in. wide, also includes a colormeter and feed from a roll. Probably an overkill, but an outstanding machine. Just in case you wonder, at work, all the computers and printers are HP, and we hardly ever have problems, so I go with what I know. And, to top it off, at work we have a direct connection with HP that allows me to get better price than stores, so why not...Still, they are cheaper than equivalent Canon and Epson, and they work very well.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Eastridge
Posted 09/02/2009 - 17:53 Link
We have just purchased a Canon Pixma MP980 All In Pne and are very impressed with the photo results. It's at the £200- 250 quid mark.

The colours, contrast etc. were all 'right first time' as opposed to the endless tweaking that seemed to be needed with our (admitidly 4 year old) HP.

Our standards may not be as rigourous as some semi-proffessionals but if you google for reviews of it you will find quote a few. Their consistently good findings encouraged us to buy it and we (and our neighbours) beleive it's great.

We got that model as it had a negative scanner, I don't now if a slightly cheaper version without might meet your needs.
rhayles
Posted 09/02/2009 - 18:30 Link
my canon mp510 is a nightmare and makes up the colours as it wills, even mid print but the rest works fine. What about a dedicated photo printer?? I would be interested in any experience, please
jackitec
Posted 09/02/2009 - 22:38 Link
Epson Photo RX585 all in one you'll never need another printer.
Edited by jackitec: 09/02/2009 - 22:43
jackitec
Posted 09/02/2009 - 22:45 Link
For got to add it prints dvd/cd too.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.