Infrared with K7

aliengrove

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:21
I have just ordered a K5 and am thinking of converting my K7 to infrared. I have done a bit of research but was wondering if anyone can give me advice on where to get it converted and how much it would cost? Also I am wondering what increase in exposure times I could expect? I have to be able to shoot handheld as I am mainly interested in the conversion for aerial photography: from what I have been able to find out shooting through a heated windscreen shouldn't be a problem. Any advice/info/tips would be much appreciated.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:44
Are you talking about a permanent conversion (ie. replacing the low pass filter with one that blocks visible light)? If so, handholding would be fine. I have a converted k10d and exposure times are on a par with a normal camera. Not sure if the aerial aspect changes things but I wouldn't have thought so.

Are you sure you want to convert a K7 though? It's still a pretty current model and there are risks with any conversion.

I sent mine to a chap in China. His service was excellent, quick and a lot cheaper than any alternatives I found. I'll pass his details on via PM if you are interested. I would be cautious though - not because of him but because of sending such a high value item by post to China. You may prefer not to take the risk and get it done in the UK, in which case ACS (Advanced Camera Services) convert DSLRs but are pricey.

My first outing with the IR k10d is in the Your Photos forum

link

What I have learnt so far:

- Setting a custom white balance before shooting helps enormously when you are processing. I didn't do that for the photos I've posted so far and getting the classic white foliage look was tricky
- Light and exposure doesn't act in the same way and results can be variable. Hopefully I will improve on this as I learn.
- Certain lenses are not good for IR photography (including most wide angle lenses). The 18-55 kit lens seems to be the best of the lenses I own.
- You have to trust the autofocus. IR light has a different focus to visible light. The autofocus on my k10d was adjusted for me when it was converted. When framing a shot through the viewfinder (visible light) the shot therefore appears out of focus. Live view can help with this.

Cheers

WG
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

Helpful

aliengrove

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 11:04
Thanks for the reply! Yes I am thinking about a permanent conversion. I go to China with work, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing, so would be very interested in your contact there, and some idea of price.The other option I have considered is selling the K7 and getting a Km to convert. As far as lenses I thought about using some old manual focus primes, but if the kit lens works with af then that would possibly be a better option.

I really liked your first set with your K10d, in fact I commented on them.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 02/06/2011 - 11:06

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 11:35
I've sent you a PM with his details.

He usually has some Pentax cameras already converted which may interest you. From my experience I would make sure that any camera you use has focus adjustment available as it makes things much easier.

Manually focusing is possible but you need to adjust the focus. I think that older lenses tend to have a separate IR focus scale on them to help with that.

aliengrove

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 12:31
Thanks for the pm I will get in touch with him! I have a few lenses with ir scale on them but af sounds like a good option. Look forward to seeing more of your ir work on the forum, and hopefully will have some of my own in the not too distant future!
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

ArsenAl

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 19:23
forgive me for asking, but why remake a camera? Why are not satisfied with an infrared filter? Are you so in demand infrared photography to customize it for the camera, the more so as the K-7?
PENTAX K-3, PENTAX K-30,PENTAX K-5, PENTAX K 20D,Pentax FA*250-600 5.6, Pentax DA*200 2.8, Pentax A 50 1.7, Pentax 10-17 3.5-4.5 Fish Eye, Pentax A 100 4 Macro, Pentax FA 77 1.8 Limited,Pentax DA*50-135 2.8,Pentax FA*400 5.6,Sigma 30 1.4,Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, Sigma 18-50 2.8 DC EX, Helios 40 1.5, Tair-3s 300 4.5, Mir-10A 3.528, Mir-20N 3.5/20, tc Sigma 2x EX DG, Flash Sigma EF-530 DG ST

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 20:08
Well it's a free world, innit?

I have to admit though, i'd be tempted to buy a readymade, and recoup the costs by selling the k7 to someone who will really love it!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

karma mechanic

Link Posted 02/06/2011 - 20:57
ArsenAl wrote:
forgive me for asking, but why remake a camera? Why are not satisfied with an infrared filter? Are you so in demand infrared photography to customize it for the camera, the more so as the K-7?

The camera with an IR filter needs exposures of several seconds, and the subject is not visible in the viewfinder due to the filter.
The modified camera allows normal daylight exposures, and you can compose the picture in the viewfinder.

The main reason to use the K7 is that it has live view, so you can compose the picture while seeing the actual IR image. However, it is still an expensive camera...
My own website is www.richardgaddphotography.com

Also on 500px

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/06/2011 - 08:08
After a bit of research (based on info kindly supplied by Wobbly Goblin) I have decided I may sell the K7 and get an already converted camera. Not because I don't want to modify the K7, but because it's more convenient and cost effective.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

RedPanda

Link Posted 20/06/2011 - 20:41
Hi, just picked up on this thread. I use a standard K7 at the mo but I'm also very interested in getting a Pentax body converted for IR use.

@WobblyGoblin would you mind also pm'ing me the details of your Chinese contact?

Thanks

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 20/06/2011 - 22:27
No problem.

Hope he's happy with me sending his details out like this I've sent them to quite a few people now. Has anyone actually contacted him and heard back/ordered anything?

almierau

Link Posted 26/06/2011 - 16:58
One of my friends just had her Nikon SLR converted in Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://camerarepair.ca/

you can view her images here and she is typically shooting at 1/250th of a second.
http://www.pbase.com/marnsphotos/nikon_d80_infrared_photos

Here is a quote they sent to me several days ago.
Canon SX10 $86 labour + $169 parts

Pentax K10D $110 labour + $188 parts

Pentax K5 $140 labour + $188 parts

All plus taxes and return shipping. We are assuming 1.5mm thickness for the Pentax’s but we will likely have to verify before ordering.
Last Edited by almierau on 26/06/2011 - 17:00

redbusa99

Link Posted 26/06/2011 - 17:50
i asked about ir filter on k7 not long after i bought it and the info i was given was that it will not work with that camera so did not go any further. if anyone knows different and has actually done it with k7 would like to know
thanks
odd lens or 2

Flickr

almierau

Link Posted 27/06/2011 - 20:33
Is there anyone on this board that has converted a Pentax *isD to IR? I would appreciate hearing from you

Anvh

Link Posted 27/06/2011 - 20:40
I believe the *isD doesn't have such a strong IR filter so it's probably a lot more cost effective to buy a I filter for on your lens.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.