IR photos
Posted 17/05/2011 - 18:47
Link
And while I was there I thought I would try out the 43 Ltd as well!
Again, any comments would be welcome.


This one is a bit cliched (well, maybe they all are!) but I liked the way the gravestone seems to pop out of the photo.

Again, any comments would be welcome.


This one is a bit cliched (well, maybe they all are!) but I liked the way the gravestone seems to pop out of the photo.

You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 17/05/2011 - 19:15
Link
These are all very good! They seem remarkably well composed, many IR shots I see are a bit lacking in that department! Nice to see you aren't afraid of a tilt either, nice one number 1 is particularly good.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 17/05/2011 - 22:38
Link
A guy in China was recommended to me on another forum. He did the conversion really quickly and even adjust the autofocus for the IR spectrum. Can't remember the exact price but he was very reasonable. Had a bit of trouble with customs on the way out - DHL messed up the labelling and it was hit with a duty charge. Fine on the way back (sent by post). If anyone's interested I'll pass on his details.
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I need to improve the skies and work out a way to get the white balance consistently right but I'm quite pleased.
WG
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I need to improve the skies and work out a way to get the white balance consistently right but I'm quite pleased.
WG
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 17/05/2011 - 23:09
Link
Great set, though I'd prefer them without the dramatic tilts - Can't understand why that is fashionable!
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
Posted 17/05/2011 - 23:25
Link
Second one for me too. Love the way the sky comes through.
Very interesting effect. I take it, it is a one way conversion?
Very interesting effect. I take it, it is a one way conversion?
Bob
Posted 18/05/2011 - 06:53
Link
doingthebobs wrote:
Second one for me too. Love the way the sky comes through.
Very interesting effect. I take it, it is a one way conversion?
Thanks. I think the sun may have been in the right position (or out a bit more) so the leaves were emitting more light and hence the sky is less over-exposed.Second one for me too. Love the way the sky comes through.
Very interesting effect. I take it, it is a one way conversion?
The conversion would be reversible - the low pass filter had a scratch on it and so needed replacing. But instead of using a standard filter an IR filter was fitted over the sensor. So I can handhold shots and compose through the prism. if I wanted to convert back I would need to replace that filter with a standard low pass filter again.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 18/05/2011 - 18:37
Link
petrochemist wrote:
Great set, though I'd prefer them without the dramatic tilts - Can't understand why that is fashionable!
Me as well, strange angles ...Great set, though I'd prefer them without the dramatic tilts - Can't understand why that is fashionable!
Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Posted 18/05/2011 - 18:53
Link
I like the colours that you've got in the colour shots. It's just a matter of waiting for some proper sunny weather. I look forward to seeing more in that case...
"All the technique in the world doesnt compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 19/05/2011 - 07:42
Link
2, 1 and 3 of the IR set for me, and don't mind the compositions either.
Posted 19/05/2011 - 08:17
Link
#2 for me too, it has a real sense of drama and artistry. I've never done IR but I always like to see classy shots done like this. #3 is also very attractive, it looks almost like a winter scene.
The tilt is fine but if done too often it could become a bit iritating.
David
The tilt is fine but if done too often it could become a bit iritating.
David
Posted 19/05/2011 - 18:38
Link
Thanks for all the comments. Can't wait to try the camera out again in the sun - need to think of a suitable location. I've already passed on the details of the guy who converted it to a couple of forum members via PM so we may see a few more people posting some IR pictures on here.
The tilt-y angles seem to have caused some controversy. Having looked over the photos I took I didn't actually take that many with a tilt but seem to have selected most of them for here. I guess that means I quite like the perspective. To me they seemed to add a bit of drama and quirkiness to the scenes. Not everyone's cup of tea though.
As a side note, I am impressed with how archaic and beautiful Wimbledon cemetery is. I didn't expect it. I'm quite keen to go again and see if I can do a better job of capturing it.
The tilt-y angles seem to have caused some controversy. Having looked over the photos I took I didn't actually take that many with a tilt but seem to have selected most of them for here. I guess that means I quite like the perspective. To me they seemed to add a bit of drama and quirkiness to the scenes. Not everyone's cup of tea though.
As a side note, I am impressed with how archaic and beautiful Wimbledon cemetery is. I didn't expect it. I'm quite keen to go again and see if I can do a better job of capturing it.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


306 posts
17 years
Quite a while ago I bought a slightly broken secondhand K10d from Mike-p which I got converted to infrared. It was winter by the time it was ready for use so I've only really tested it indoors or in the garden. This morning I finally checked the focus correction and headed out to Wimbledon Cemetery to give it a proper run.
Getting the exposure right was tricky, not sure if it was the difficult light or that is just the nature of IR. Also found it particularly hard to judge the sky. It may have been easier if it wasn't overcast.
Anyway, here are the results. I'd love any comments (including the processing).
and one in black and white...