In Yer Face

Gravelrash

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 01:53
My lad just turned 14 and has the fun of a Photography Class at school!

I decided to get him a used *ist DS for his birthday and took it for a spin today.

We had a ride over to the local bike haunt and I sent him off on auto mode to try and frame a few snaps with his new tool.

I was truly surprised by the excellent results, forgetting that 6mp used to be the dogs dangly's in the camera market.

However, back at the ranch, the pictures have produced some massively over saturated reds. Does anyone know how this may be fixed without making me read a 200 page manual for a camera I don't own?

e.g.

As a comparison this, although a little erm vivid, has a charm to it, but still, that coke cooler seems to jump out with the same abrasive quality...

Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Last Edited by Gravelrash on 02/12/2013 - 02:03

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 05:38
It doesn't help in your case, but my 100d regularly produced bright orange type colours indoor (badly balancing for artificial light) and ridiculous green/yellow tones in 'landscape' mode on the selection dial.

That's one area that's not talked about much, but one I'm really liking having moved to the K-30.

6MP is fine for web display, which is where probably 90% of peoples final shots tend to end up these days!

Nice framing on the 2nd shot by the way

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 15:34
Nice shots, been a while since I've been to the barn
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

johnriley

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 15:56
Check the JPEG settings and use "Natural" to get realistic results. Maybe it's set to "Vivid" or maybe the saturation has been turned up.

Clipping of the reds is common in digital cameras of its day, so if there's no detail in the red areas then they have been over-exposed.

There could be all sort of things, so maybe resetting factory defaults and then reading the manual is the way to go?
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 17:21
Try setting a Colour Space AdobeRGB or sRGB.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

gartmore

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 17:23
I have and still occasionally use a DS. Never had that problem, I'd reset everything back to the factory defaults.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Gravelrash

Link Posted 02/12/2013 - 18:30
Thanks guys. I only get the little fella at weekends so I'll work with him on Saturday to see if I can't find the solution.

It was a learning experience for us both. The rear screen doesn't give much away and I think we had increased the exposure for the affected pictures. It may just be over exposure as John has suggested.

Thanks again...your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.