Impulse Buy Spotmatic

Hardgravity

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 07:20
cedricd wrote:
Aha! been down the developing and printing route when I had a ME Super. Sad to say I dumped all the kit when we moved house and I went "Digital." MISTAKE!! Oh well that`s learning. So I collected the SP from the Post Office today. Looks really champion now to find a cell to power the meter. Some advice here from SP owners would be appreciated. Spent ages today searching through jewelers and the like but no known equivalent came up for the mercury cell. If I found a button cell that fits I guess it would be a slightly higher voltage than the original mercury version. Would that be a problem?

Cedric

I use a small button cell with a bit of 'plastic twisty' around it to act as a spacer.

The meter is a balanced circuit(?) which means it does work this way, just check the readings against a known meter before you commit to film.

Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

cedricd

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 09:05
Thanks HG off to me local Tesco when they open. got a pack of 5 Fuji 200 from Boots yesterday just to play around with.
Enjoy life

cedricd

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 10:08
Just rumaging about & found a cell in one of my Christmas ties thay fits. Woohoo the meter works fine.
Enjoy life

Sandehalynch

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 10:27
Did you miss my post about the battery?
www.sandehalynch.com

cedricd

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 10:47
Sorry Sandeha

I did miss your info ref the battery. My only excuse being I have used my Android phone not the laptop. With old eyed like mine I should have known better. Thanks very much for your advice. Will stock up at Maplins. Now where`s the ebay link?
Enjoy life

Sandehalynch

Link Posted 21/08/2011 - 12:54
Ah good. Yes, that's a problem with mobile Internet sometimes.
www.sandehalynch.com

cedricd

Link Posted 24/08/2011 - 20:28
Woohoo! SMC Takumar 55mm arrived yesterday. It is sooo smooth, I wonder if it`s actually been used. So now I have the camera and lens combo as original. Now where to grab some time from I wonder.
Enjoy life

George Lazarette

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 21:03
The smoothness of the Takumars is legendary.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

LazyPup

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 02:42
I bought my first Pentax Spotmatic while stationed in Germany in 1968, followed by a Spotmatic II when they came out the following year.

The SP1000 was a slightly cheaper version of the Spotmatic. The only difference is that the SP1000 does not have the built in shutter delay timer on the left side of the lens mount when facing the camera.

The also made a slightly cheaper version called the SP500 which also did not have the timer and the max shutter speed indicated on the dial was 500, although there was a blank spot on the dial at the 1000 position and it actually worked at 1000.

Both of my Spotmatics came with a 50mm f1.4, and I added a super takumar 28mm, 105mm & 300mm and a Tele Takumar 1,000mm.

When looking at the old M42 lenses an auto lense has the aperture control pin on the back of the lens mount that stops the lens down when you turn the light meter on or when you snap the shutter. Nearly all true Pentax or Takumar lenses had a slide control to switch from manual to auto. That was so those lense could be used on the old H3v, S1A and such that did not have the auto aperture control in the body.

Manual lenses were just that, the was totally manual. There was another popular type of lenses called "Pre-set" lenses that have 2 aperture rings on the lens. One ring has click stops where you actually set the aperture you desired. The 2nd aperture ring moved freely so you could easily Pre-set your desired aperture on the click stop ring, then rotate the preset ring to open the lens for focusing, and simply rotate it back to the stop and you would be at your preset aperture without taking your eye off the viewfinder. Many of the Tele Takumar lenses were of the preset type.

Now here is a secrete about Takumar lenses that seems to have been lost to time. Asahi Optical company used what they called "Rare earth glass" to make their lenses. The glass was much harder than typical optical glass so they could grind odd shapes or thinner elements, however, the production of rare earth glass required them to heat the glass much hotter than typical optical glass, and as the glass cooled it often formed minute bubbles in the glass. The bubbles were so fine that they had no effect on the image quality, but if you are aware of them you can get some great deals today. How many times have you seen a Takumar lens listed for sale and they are discounting it because they say there is dust inside the lens? Baloney. The lenses are sealed dust tight. What they are seeing is those tiny bubbles and assuming its dust so they let the lens go for peanuts.

johnha

Link Posted 17/03/2012 - 02:09
LazyPup wrote:
When looking at the old M42 lenses an auto lense has the aperture control pin on the back of the lens mount that stops the lens down when you turn the light meter on or when you snap the shutter. Nearly all true Pentax or Takumar lenses had a slide control to switch from manual to auto. That was so those lense could be used on the old H3v, S1A and such that did not have the auto aperture control in the body.

Hi LazyPup,

The S1a (to my surprise) does have automatic stop-down of the aperture in the body (not sure about the H3v and others). Although as the S1a doesn't have a meter, open aperture viewing is only useful for focussing and framing.

John.
PPG Flickr

Reuben0

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 13:22
In my opinion it's worth seeking out the Super-Multi-Coated (SMC) Taks, as the multicoating makes a real visible difference (which is why it was such a breakthrough at the time).

They also had the most up-to-date optical designs

R

womble

Link Posted 21/03/2012 - 19:01
Reuben0 wrote:
In my opinion it's worth seeking out the Super-Multi-Coated (SMC) Taks, as the multicoating makes a real visible difference (which is why it was such a breakthrough at the time).

They also had the most up-to-date optical designs

R

I look for those but mainly because I get the open aperture metering with the ES/ESII with them.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.