Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K2, KX, KM, K1000 ?

chunky
Posted 18/02/2012 - 11:36 Link
Without going into a long and boring story I have been offered the choice of one of the following camera bodies, K2, Kx, Km, K1000
and a the choice of one of 7 lenses. The balance of the kit going to the deceased's grandchildren as mementoes
of their grandfather.The choice of lens is obvious, the 50mm f1.2. But which body? They are all in truly mint - condition with only the K1000 showing obvious signs of wear. I am very tempted to opt for the K2or the KX.
Either would complement my LX. Any thoughts?
There may be a possibility of two or maybe three more lenses of which the 24mm and the 135mm seem to be the obvious choices The 28mm and two 50mm f1.7's could be offered to the grandchildren along with the other bodies.
All the cameras come with Pentax never ready cases and the lenses all have UV filters and lens hoods and are again in excellent condition. Everything was always kept in foam lined aluminium flight cases and hardly used.
Advice please.
Chunky
Edited by chunky: 18/02/2012 - 11:38
prsjnb
Posted 18/02/2012 - 15:46 Link
Firstly, Chunky, please accept my condolences on the loss of your relative.

With regard to your question, and given that you already possess a fine 35mm SLR in the LX, why not 'plump' for one of the DSLRs? You can survey the thoughts of other photographers here link

In the event that the other family members decide not to keep their 'memento', perhaps you might encourage them to offer them for sale on the forum first. Speaking personally, and no disrespect intended to the deceased's grandchildren, I would like to think that my 'kit' would end up in the hands of a fellow 'Pentaxian' and be put to good use rather than being left to gather dust, be boxed, packed away and forgotten or used as an expensive paperweight.

Jon
Pentaxophile
Posted 18/02/2012 - 16:07 Link
I would go for the K2 as it has MLU and Av mode. The KX has MLU but no Av mode. The Km and K1000 have neither Av mode nor MLU.

If any of the bodies were black that might change my mind, as a mint black body is very nice and well sought after.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Hardgravity
Posted 18/02/2012 - 16:10 Link
They're all film bodies prsjnb, Pentax re-used the designations..

Have a look at THIS LINK and choose the spec you like chumky.

no doubt Womble will be along soon, he knows these bodies and can give better advice than me.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
George Lazarette
Posted 18/02/2012 - 16:32 Link
I am old enough to have bought a K2 when it first came out.

It's definitely the right choice, if it's working. It can do anything the others can do, and more.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
womble
Posted 18/02/2012 - 16:45 Link
I would go for the K2 myself although the KX is excellent too. The KM is simpler but the meter doesn't have the range of the KX. K1000s are the photographic equivalent of wearing sackcloth.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
prsjnb
Posted 18/02/2012 - 18:26 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
They're all film bodies prsjnb, Pentax re-used the designations..

Duh That'll learn me not to forget to do my homework before posting

In my defence, I am but a relatively recent convert and at the time when the bodies mentioned were released, I had my feet planted firmly in the Yashica/Kyocera/Contax camp.

Jon
Hardgravity
Posted 18/02/2012 - 19:27 Link
womble wrote:
K1000s are the photographic equivalent of wearing sackcloth.

K.

Even if they are in demand by photography students!

I said he'd know more than me...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
chunky
Posted 18/02/2012 - 19:57 Link
Thanks for all the advice lads.
Just to clear things up it isn't a relative of mine that has passed away.

When I next see the bereaved I will no doubt opt for the K2 with 50mm f1.2 lens.
I will try and tactfully mention that there may be a market for people to have the other cameras and lenses,
people who would continue to use them.
I hardly knew the chap, I just popped in to see him a couple of times because his wife asked me to.
I knew he had an interest in photography but that was all.
It seems there are boxes of scientific instruments, microscopes, compasses, sextants etc from the late 1700's onwards. Plus a collection of model trains.
Chunky
ChrisPlatt
Posted 26/02/2012 - 03:23 Link
I much prefer the KX to the K2.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Edited by ChrisPlatt: 26/02/2012 - 03:26
Oso
Posted 27/02/2012 - 17:28 Link
K2 without a doubt, the other Ks are left overS from the Spotmatic era;
George Lazarette
Posted 27/02/2012 - 18:37 Link
ChrisPlatt wrote:
I much prefer the KX to the K2.

Chris

Why?

A simple assertion, without giving reasons, is not tremendously helpful.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
womble
Posted 27/02/2012 - 19:53 Link
I'd be curious to know too. The K2 does tend to have problems with the ISO ring around the lens mount on occasion, and I must admit I rather like the handling of the KX. Given that I keep eyeing up copies of the K2DMD when they come up for sale, I'd be interesting in your reasoning.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Oso
Posted 29/02/2012 - 09:58 Link
I never had any problem with the ISO ring, Kris, I'm also looking for the K2DMD, Regards

Oso
womble
Posted 29/02/2012 - 10:24 Link
Oso wrote:
I never had any problem with the ISO ring, Kris, I'm also looking for the K2DMD, Regards

Oso

I get the impression it is a problem with cameras that have been in storage for a while. As always, however, the 'net tends to emphasise the problems more than the lack of them! I was just speculating as the reasons behind the earlier post.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.