Image recovery from SD card

Rataegeoff

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 12:53
Hi All
Hope someone can help em with this one? I had a card error whilst shooting with my K5. Media recovery software was able to find all the files but the raw files were named "~MGP xxxx" where they would usually be labelled "IMGP xxxx".. The file sizes are about right but if Photoshop Elements is asked to open the image file is reports it as an unrecognised document.

I have tried to rename the file under windows but it simply reverts to the version with the "~" as the first character.

Anyone have any ideas or experience of this happening. I do always fromat my memory cards in the camera and tend to repeat each time I copy the images to the PC as one way to have a "clean" card the next time the camera is used.

Thanks, Geoff
K10D,KX, DA 18-55, DA 17-70 AL(IF) SDM, DA*50-135, Sigma 70-300, DAL 50-300mm, Kenko 1.5x, loads of SD cards and even more optimism

spinno

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 14:04
I had a hard drive failure about two years ago. Recovered nearly all jpegs as readable files (with some slight re-naming issues) but raw files were corrupted/damaged beyond repair- no way could I get them open- tried PSE, Gimp and even grown up photoshop.
This is one reason for back ups!
David

steven9761

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 15:04
Could be that the actual problem is that the file type is corrupted. Try right-clicking one of the files, and if you are offered up a dialog box which says something along the lines of "OPEN WITH", try opening with MS PAINT. If it opens the file, click FILE/SAVE/SAVE AS and save as a JPG/JPEG file. I'm guessing that you will have lost the metadata contained within the files that allows them to open as RAW files. Let me know how you get on.

PentaxPrime

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 19:59
Hi,
Try this freebie, it's always worked great at recovering jpegs and will find anything on the card that has been deleted but yet to be overwritten.

http://www.pcinspector.de/SmartRecovery/info.htm?language=1

Once you have recovered all files make sure to re-format the card.

Good luck

PentaxPrime

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 20:10
Just noticed,
It now recovers RICOH .raw......that's handy!

Rataegeoff

Link Posted 15/01/2015 - 23:44
steven9761 wrote:
Could be that the actual problem is that the file type is corrupted. Try right-clicking one of the files, and if you are offered up a dialog box which says something along the lines of "OPEN WITH", try opening with MS PAINT. If it opens the file, click FILE/SAVE/SAVE AS and save as a JPG/JPEG file. I'm guessing that you will have lost the metadata contained within the files that allows them to open as RAW files. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for this. I did try the right click and none of the options, including MSPaint, will produce anything except to see it as a approx 30 MB file.

I will try that recovery software as I still have the camera card in safe storage. The files are all of the DNG type.

At least we can see that some recovery is possible - unlike if you had an issue with roll film...
K10D,KX, DA 18-55, DA 17-70 AL(IF) SDM, DA*50-135, Sigma 70-300, DAL 50-300mm, Kenko 1.5x, loads of SD cards and even more optimism

DaveKitson

Link Posted 16/01/2015 - 00:13
Rataegeoff wrote:
Hi All
....... files were named "~MGP xxxx" where they would usually be labelled "IMGP xxxx"..

Going right back to the old days, if a file was deleted the OS (Dos or Windows) just replaced the first character of the filename with "~" rather than actually deleting the file data (which is why files can often be recovered). The OS thinks any filename in the FAT starting with "~" has been deleted and will not use it.

File recovery software should have a good chance of getting the files back.

dave k
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson
Last Edited by DaveKitson on 16/01/2015 - 00:18

sterretje

Link Posted 16/01/2015 - 08:45
DaveKitson wrote:
Going right back to the old days, if a file was deleted the OS (Dos or Windows) just replaced the first character of the filename with "~" rather than actually deleting the file data (which is why files can often be recovered). The OS thinks any filename in the FAT starting with "~" has been deleted and will not use it.

I thought it was actually a '?' instead of a '~'. Might be mistaken though.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)

juliemeridian

Link Posted 21/01/2015 - 06:52
If the memory card is not recognized in the PC or it is impossible to access the data on it, the controller on the card is damaged. There is only one way to get the data back, digital media recovery and directly access their raw data with a programmable digital media recovery tool. You can use Recover Data for Digital Media Recovery Software
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.