Image misaligned in viewfinder - K30

ventmore
Posted 07/05/2013 - 15:46 Link
Hi all.

I've just bought a K30 with the 18-135 lens as my first DSLR. It's been working flawlessly, and I've been enjoying exploring the various buttons and dials .

Today, when taking a few snaps, I noticed that the resulting image seemed slightly different to what I had lined up in the viewfinder.

After taking a few test shots, I found there was indeed a problem. The image I saw in the viewfinder was shifted slightly vertically. If I lined my son up so his head was touching the top in the viewfinder, and his feet were touching the bottom, then his feet would be cut off in the resulting image, and there would be some extra space above him.

My first thought was that I'd fiddled with one too many buttons . However, whilst trying to find the issue, I found that the rear e-dial wasn't working. It wouldn't zoom into images in playback, it wouldn't work in the menus, it just wouldn't do anything.

I switched the camera off, then back on, and both problems disappeared. It is taking photos perfectly again, and the dial works fine.

I didn't get chance to update to the latest firmware before we came on holiday, so it's currently running on v1.0, but it's the first thing I'll do when I get back home.

My question is, is this something you guys have seen before? I did get some hits for e-dial issues on google, but nothing about the image shift. As both issues happened at the same time, and it's working perfectly after power cycling, is it possible this is just a firmware issue, or do I need to go back to the shop for an exchange?

The big problem with returning for an exchange would be trying to demonstrate the issue.

Any and all input is much appreciated
Neil
Edited by ventmore: 07/05/2013 - 15:55
johnriley
Posted 07/05/2013 - 16:43 Link
The viewfinder image is an optical one, so not connected with electronics, but....just maybe something like SR moving the sensor, or sensor correction of the horizon line, etc. may have been in play.

The e-dial issue is something else, but if it's cleared then just keep an eye on it and if necessary deal with it accordingly, presumably you have 30 days in which to return for an exchange?
Best regards, John
percy
Posted 07/05/2013 - 17:24 Link
Does the K-30 have a 'sensor shift' facility like the K-5?
Might it be related to that?
davidstorm
Posted 07/05/2013 - 19:32 Link
Check the menu to see if you have a 'Horizon Correction' option. If so, turn it off. It's a bloody nuisance on the K-5 as the camera built in level keeps going out of calibration with the net result that images come out skewed. You don't really need it anyway - rely on your judgement and you can always straighten in PP if it's slightly off level.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
ventmore
Posted 07/05/2013 - 20:07 Link
Thanks for the replies guys.

It does indeed have the ability to shift the sensor, though it only allows it in live view, and I was using the viewfinder. However, the shift that it provides is around the same amount that the photos were out by, and that in itself is interesting. I'm wondering if it has just been a small glitch......maybe a set if circumstances that won't happen again.

I imagine, that if the sensor had somehow gotten stuck, that it may not have recovered so easily, and it would probably have happened again by now. I could be wrong though, so I'd be interested to hear thoughts on that

@davidstorm
The horizon correction is already disabled, but thanks for the info. I'll make sure I don't ever enable it in the future

Edit: I'm just reading that the shake reduction moves the sensor with magnetic force. Any chance it could have gotten confused, and fixed it in position?
Edited by ventmore: 07/05/2013 - 20:10
ventmore
Posted 07/05/2013 - 20:19 Link
Sorry John, the email link took me to the newest post, and I missed your post first time

Although the image in the viewfinder is optical, I wondered if there was a possibility the mirror wasn't returning to the correct position.

I do have 30 days to return, and I've already made the shop aware of the issue. If I have any more problems whilst I'm away, then I'll do a factory reset, otherwise, I think I'll reset when I get home, then do a firmware update.

johnriley wrote:
The viewfinder image is an optical one, so not connected with electronics, but....just maybe something like SR moving the sensor, or sensor correction of the horizon line, etc. may have been in play.

The e-dial issue is something else, but if it's cleared then just keep an eye on it and if necessary deal with it accordingly, presumably you have 30 days in which to return for an exchange?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo