Image Hosting
Posted 27/05/2010 - 18:49
Link
If it's just to upload a photo to show it here I would suggest photobucket also, they even provide a link that you can copy and paste here to show your photo correctly with other sites it's a bit harder to get it to show here on the forum.
Also most other sites support a community and there are also sites that are more professional and give you a whole website almost to showcase your photos but you need to pay for those.
So the question is what do you want?
Also most other sites support a community and there are also sites that are more professional and give you a whole website almost to showcase your photos but you need to pay for those.
So the question is what do you want?
Posted 27/05/2010 - 18:58
Link
I use both Photobucket and Flickr.
Flickr is a pain in the , er, bottom to set up since Yahoo took over. You need a yahoo mail account to even access the site now! That is unless you've a direct link.
Photobucket on the other hand, is easier to set up and as stated, can link quickly and easily to this site.
Flickr is a pain in the , er, bottom to set up since Yahoo took over. You need a yahoo mail account to even access the site now! That is unless you've a direct link.
Photobucket on the other hand, is easier to set up and as stated, can link quickly and easily to this site.
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 19:07
Link
Stefan,
Really I just think its to get pics on the Forum at this stage. I did look photobucket up on Wikp (not that you can believe everything on there), but there was a suggestion that the offering was not as good as it has been particularly in terms of storage space and individual pic sizes.
Wonder why PU doesn't run a service?
Really I just think its to get pics on the Forum at this stage. I did look photobucket up on Wikp (not that you can believe everything on there), but there was a suggestion that the offering was not as good as it has been particularly in terms of storage space and individual pic sizes.
Wonder why PU doesn't run a service?
Posted 27/05/2010 - 19:27
Link
Offering not good... why not?
You got 500MB and the only thing you want to do is throw the photos on there on show them here. 800px on the long side is more then enough so then you get photos that are 50kB to 70kB that's around the 10.000 photos till you've filled that 500MB
Since you aren't interested in other features I wouldn't worry about them.
You can use the PUF gallery but you can only upload one photo a day unless you subscribe to the PUF magazine.
You got 500MB and the only thing you want to do is throw the photos on there on show them here. 800px on the long side is more then enough so then you get photos that are 50kB to 70kB that's around the 10.000 photos till you've filled that 500MB
Since you aren't interested in other features I wouldn't worry about them.
You can use the PUF gallery but you can only upload one photo a day unless you subscribe to the PUF magazine.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 21:06
Link
Stephan I quote
Unlimited (was 100GB but went to 25GB in July 2008 and down to 10GB on August 19, 2009) Unlimited space and bandwidth is valid only for non-commercial use. Uploaded photos must either be smaller than 1 MB or 1024x768 in size (5 MB or 2240x1680 with paid account.
Is this wrong??
Unlimited (was 100GB but went to 25GB in July 2008 and down to 10GB on August 19, 2009) Unlimited space and bandwidth is valid only for non-commercial use. Uploaded photos must either be smaller than 1 MB or 1024x768 in size (5 MB or 2240x1680 with paid account.
Is this wrong??
Posted 27/05/2010 - 21:21
Link
I upload and then resize on site, the photobucket tools are simple to use and work well.
As Stefan says, the best size for posting here is 800x600 so that they fit on a page easily, this shot is from photobucket sized as 800x600.

and as you can see is perfectly acceptable. The uploaded file was straight from the camera, a K200d at full resolution.
Don't believe all you read, try things out, I do and get surprised an awful lot doing so!
As Stefan says, the best size for posting here is 800x600 so that they fit on a page easily, this shot is from photobucket sized as 800x600.

and as you can see is perfectly acceptable. The uploaded file was straight from the camera, a K200d at full resolution.
Don't believe all you read, try things out, I do and get surprised an awful lot doing so!
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 21:26
Link
ISO wrote:
Stephan I quote
Unlimited (was 100GB but went to 25GB in July 2008 and down to 10GB on August 19, 2009) Unlimited space and bandwidth is valid only for non-commercial use. Uploaded photos must either be smaller than 1 MB or 1024x768 in size (5 MB or 2240x1680 with paid account.
Is this wrong??
No you're right but do you need more then that?Stephan I quote
Unlimited (was 100GB but went to 25GB in July 2008 and down to 10GB on August 19, 2009) Unlimited space and bandwidth is valid only for non-commercial use. Uploaded photos must either be smaller than 1 MB or 1024x768 in size (5 MB or 2240x1680 with paid account.
Is this wrong??
That's what I asked and you said it was just to show photos on this forum, then we are talking about 800x600px photos like HG and those are 70kB if you compress them good or else they might be max 150kB.
If you want to have bigger photos then you must use something else, then you come sites like Flickr, Redbubble or Deviantart but those are more problematic to link a photo from.
If it's just for showing here on this or another forum then Photobucket is the easiest.
Btw they say 1 MB or 1024x768
but this one is larger, I think they just have the 1mB limit these days.
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Anvh/__Me_On_The_Floor_2___by_I_Pod_Junk.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 27/05/2010 - 22:02
Link
To get images up on forums, I've used http://www.imageshack.us/ for years - just upload the photo, they give you links but I tend to just click on the picture then Right+Click -> Copy Image Location and paste that into links!
You can register as user as well, but don't have to, its entirely optional. Main difference is you can't delete pictures if you anonymously upload them.
I use this, even though I do have a number of my own websites - why have my bandwidth hammered for photographs when someone else will take the pain?
You can register as user as well, but don't have to, its entirely optional. Main difference is you can't delete pictures if you anonymously upload them.
I use this, even though I do have a number of my own websites - why have my bandwidth hammered for photographs when someone else will take the pain?
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 27/05/2010 - 22:07
Link
Photobucket is is then, particularly given it's compatibility with PU - thanks folks
Just need to decide what rubbish I should post (e.g. anyone seen my submission to the current weekly Comp?)
Nah - don't go there.
Just need to decide what rubbish I should post (e.g. anyone seen my submission to the current weekly Comp?)
Nah - don't go there.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 22:48
Link
Flossie I forgot about Imageshack, there was also another one I believe that was almost precisely the same, can´t remember the name.
Posted 27/05/2010 - 22:58
Link
I like imageshack - I hate signing up for things.
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Posted 27/05/2010 - 23:12
Link
Hardgravity wrote:
I use both Photobucket and Flickr.
Flickr is a pain in the , er, bottom to set up since Yahoo took over. You need a yahoo mail account to even access the site now! That is unless you've a direct link.
Photobucket on the other hand, is easier to set up and as stated, can link quickly and easily to this site.
Seconded.I use both Photobucket and Flickr.
Flickr is a pain in the , er, bottom to set up since Yahoo took over. You need a yahoo mail account to even access the site now! That is unless you've a direct link.
Photobucket on the other hand, is easier to set up and as stated, can link quickly and easily to this site.
I did an article for a non photographic forum on posting images. I tried a few hosting sites and found Photobucket to be the easiest to set up and use as a simple host for posting pictures on forums. Flickr was a bit of a performance, although I have heard it said that it has more advanced features and better re-sizing software than Photobucket.
Posted 28/05/2010 - 10:55
Link
Thanks again all. Time permitting I will try to post something over the weekend but 'er in doors, seems to have planned my time down to the last second.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



713 posts
16 years
Kent
I checked with John Riley when I asked how to upload stuff to the Forum and he mentioned Photobucket. Nothing personal John, just thought I would see what’s to see.