Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

I really must stop...

Aitch53
Posted 07/11/2018 - 13:22 Link
...browsing used camera sales sites when I'm bored and the credit cards are (nearly) clear!

Comment Image

Yeah, I found a q10 going for just over a ton. So I ordered it.

After a certain amount of messing about, it arrived. With charger, cables and three batteries. Two of them non-Pentax and all of them dead! One charging as I type, so testing is delayed somewhat.

What it didn't come with is a lens cap. Or a SD card. More expense!

Lego man added to pic to give an idea of size to those who don't know. Thought balloon added 'cause I'm in a funny mood!
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Kim C
Posted 07/11/2018 - 14:00 Link
If the batteries don't charge, I may be able to help.
Aitch53
Posted 07/11/2018 - 14:02 Link
One of them gives a "Battery Depleted" message, so I guess that one at least will charge.

Oh and the one in the charger at the moment doesn't give the flashing light, so I assume that is charging OK.

But thanks anyway.
SteveH!

Edited by Aitch53: 07/11/2018 - 14:03
barkin
Posted 07/11/2018 - 14:37 Link
Aitch53 wrote:

Lego man added to pic to give an idea of size

How big's a Lego man?
Aitch53
Posted 07/11/2018 - 14:55 Link
barkin wrote:
Aitch53 wrote:

Lego man added to pic to give an idea of size

How big's a Lego man?

Erm, about 2/3 the height of a Q10?
SteveH!

barkin
Posted 07/11/2018 - 17:35 Link
Wow!!!

Comment Image
Aitch53
Posted 07/11/2018 - 17:43 Link
barkin wrote:
Wow!!!

Comment Image

We really need a 'Like' button!
SteveH!

Edited by Aitch53: 07/11/2018 - 17:43
alfpics
Posted 07/11/2018 - 17:59 Link
Aitch53 wrote:
barkin wrote:
Wow!!!

Comment Image

We really need a 'Like' button!

Indeed we do!
Andy
HarisF1
Posted 07/11/2018 - 18:56 Link
It's a really really fun camera, good pick up
All the gear with no idea
Aitch53
Posted 09/11/2018 - 19:01 Link
OK, I’ve tried it out for a day or two (I’ll put a few of my test shots up at some point) and my initial thoughts are as follows.

I quite like the Q10, but it’s a bit disappointing. There’s a lot to like about it - it feels well made and it’s quite well balanced, it produces RAW files and takes good pictures considering the size of the sensor (and the person using it, of course).

But I had the same problem with it that I had with the Olympus SH-1 I used to have - the lack of an EVF made using it in daylight a real pain, especially at this time of year when the sun is low in the sky most of the time. Yes, I expected this, but not to the extent it occurred. Mind you, I did find it less of a problem with table-top stuff indoors, where the light is more under my control – the extending flash is a very good idea.

I feel there are the makings of a good camera here, but I think Ricoh made a (deliberate?) mistake in the design of this camera. Let me explain. The lack of an EVF suggests, to me, it was made for camera-phone users used to holding the camera at arms length, but who were interested in taking their photography a bit further. I get the impression that it wasn’t really made as a serious camera, that would detract from their DSLR sales. Probably intended as a ‘gateway drug’, meant to lead the really enthusiastic onto a DSLR. A bit like the Nikon 1 series, though not as overpriced.

The annoying thing is that a couple of things would have made it a more serious option for those not wanting to go the DSLR route. Obviously, a built in EVF. Or at least an add-on one that links into the camera body, like the Olympus VF-4 for various E series models or the Nikon DF-N100 for the V3. And a larger sensor. A 2/3” would fit or possibly they could have shoe-horned in a 1/1.2” Maybe by making the body slightly larger they could have used a 1” sensor.

But this would have also meant a less compact camera, higher cost/price and a possible loss in DSLR sales. Plus, their core demographic probably wouldn’t be interested, just oddballs like me.

So, it’s OK and I’ll use it occasionally, but probably not generally outdoors.

Oh, and by coincidence, it has the same filter size as my Nikon-1 lenses, so I could experiment with the Nikon close-up lens I bought. Quite impressive.

Comment Image

That’s the full frame – obviously shrunk and sharpened a bit.
SteveH!

JAK
Posted 10/11/2018 - 00:44 Link
I have both an original Q (did have two but sold one) and a Q7. The Q10 has the same sensor as the Q, but the Q7 does have a larger sensor [1/1.7 inch (7.6mm x 5.7mm)] compared to the Q/Q10 [1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm)] This certainly helps with image quality (a little bit!)
John K
Edited by JAK: 10/11/2018 - 00:51
Pentaxke
Posted 11/11/2018 - 07:06 Link
I agree withe the lack of EVF. If Ricoh to release an updated Q with EVF (or at least an add-on EVF) I would be all over it. I want a portable package for times when I can't be bothered to bring my K-1 along. Will probably get the Ricoh GR II or III...
Cheers! Marc

Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.