Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

I need advice on a new printer

pentaxian450
Posted 21/02/2010 - 01:30 Link
Photomonk wrote:
pink wrote:
epson R1900 is recommended by most and you can buy ciss for them here is a link for a review

R1900

james

Another vote for the Epson. Comparing the quality of photos and finish from the Epson vs HP (I have used both), Epson wins every time.

The Photomonk

Have you tried the B9180 or the Z3200. I think they outperform Epson without even "breaking a sweat".
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Photomonk
Posted 21/02/2010 - 01:46 Link
Being how most HP drivers and Snow Leopard are at odds with each other, I would certainly doubt that since all I can rely on is generic drivers now. I can have a cup of coffee waiting for a 8.5x11 print on an HP printer that is only two years old. When HP decides to keep their driver database up to date with the current operating systems instead of always pushing you to replace with new equipment, then I might reconsider them. I have been waiting since the end of August for HP to update their drivers for Windows 7 and Snow Leopard and according to HP support has missed their own deadlines for producing them by months. I am really disappointed with HP over this, and would consider most other brands over HP because of this issue.

The Photomonk
Edited by Photomonk: 21/02/2010 - 01:47
Glover
Posted 21/02/2010 - 10:33 Link
Would be epson for me all day long, i use a photo p50 atm it uses the 6 cartridge claria ink, they do an A3 equivelant which i was tempted with but couldnt justify the extra cost for what i'd need it for at the mo. they state better than lab quality and i have to say it is outstanding. i use epson premium glossy photo paper and have tried a set of compatible cartidges for under a tenner. Personally i wont be useing the compatables again, there is a noticeable difference in the quality of prints that may be ok for general use but if your selling pictures i could not settle for it.

Oh and the easy print s/w that comes with it is also very good and very easy to use.
Pentax K-5
DA 18-55mm AL WR DAL 50-200mm Tamron 70-300mm, Auto Chinon 28mm 2.8. sigma 30mm 1.4 DC
Metz 48 af-1
Flickr
Edited by Glover: 21/02/2010 - 10:34
fatspider
Posted 21/02/2010 - 10:42 Link
My last four printers have been Epson (does that say something)

My most recent is a 1400, a super reasonably priced A3 printer, print quality is great, the only downside is the high cost of replacement inks (I'm determined to stick with the Epson Claria inks)
I will point out that its not all that brilliant whne it comes to turning out B&W prints, for that you need something that has more than one black ink cartridge.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
pink
Posted 21/02/2010 - 10:56 Link
EPSON,EPSON,EPSON

I own a R1800 wish i had the R1900 less issue with the nozzles
and a R285 I would replace this in a heart beat with a R285 a true work horse but sadly only a A4

The R285 I've had for I think 4 years with CISS not one issue with it at all

The R1800 was bought second hand and really good but the R1900 is much better

James
fatspider
Posted 21/02/2010 - 10:58 Link
Quote:
EPSON,EPSON,EPSON

Do I detect a recurring theme in this thread

EDIT, typo.....cart sim to spell anythink right toady
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 21/02/2010 - 11:00
grahamwalton
Posted 21/02/2010 - 11:46 Link
I have both HP and Epson printers.

The HP is an all-in-one, with reasonable print quality, but the cost of inks is very expensive for very small capacity cartridges.

I bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 A2 printer. It was on special offer at Focus last year. The ink cartridges hold 80ml each. The amount of included ink, made its purchase a no brainer, against an A3 printer with much less ink included. The print quality from this printer is fantastic and black and white prints are spot-on with no colour casts.
Friendly Regards
Graham
bretti_kivi
Posted 21/02/2010 - 11:58 Link
Photomonk wrote:
bretti_kivi wrote:
*is* there a printer company that just creates "drivers" and not a 200MB bloatware special that monitors everything?

Sorry, I'm just a tad disillusioned

Bret

Bret,

I am not sure what operating system you are using, but one advantage I found with Windows 7 is you do not have to use the install disk that comes with all that annoying bloatware. I just plug in the printer (or whatever) and the operating system goes online and finds the latest driver only and installs it. Since that feature has come about, I have cut down on the amount of useless programs on my netbook.

The Photomonk

I have 7 on this and the D600. I will check, but I think at least some of the "info" stuff came over anyway.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
pink
Posted 21/02/2010 - 12:02 Link
Graham

Do you want to sell it ??

James

If not NOW later give me a buzz
grahamwalton
Posted 21/02/2010 - 14:46 Link
No the Epson 3800 is so good that I want to keep it. It's like Pentax cameras.
Friendly Regards
Graham
adwb
Posted 21/02/2010 - 19:33 Link
Thanks every one for the input. Epson it is, probably the 3800 which while it does not have a cis option [that I can find] seems to get better reviews than the 9100 with the expensive and thirsty gloss cartridges,
Alistair
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit
grahamwalton
Posted 21/02/2010 - 19:59 Link
Permajet sell a continuous ink system for the Epson Stylus Pro 3800.
However, inside information suggests that Permajet are about to launch a brand new design ink system for the 3800.
Friendly Regards
Graham
adwb
Posted 21/02/2010 - 21:32 Link
oh boy this now is going to be whole new thread which cis system? I have found 4 brands so far!
qustion has to be print best quality vs cost?
I have a cis on a 1290 which looks like it came from marrut but was supplied with sublimation inks for heat sublimation printing which we do on mugs etc.
best trick with that is a daily timer on the power supply so the priter powers up every day which keeps the nozzles from blocking, uses hardly any ink.
Alistair
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit
Edited by adwb: 21/02/2010 - 21:41
pentaxian450
Posted 21/02/2010 - 21:47 Link
impotentspider wrote:
My last four printers have been Epson (does that say something)

My most recent is a 1400, a super reasonably priced A3 printer, print quality is great, the only downside is the high cost of replacement inks (I'm determined to stick with the Epson Claria inks)
I will point out that its not all that brilliant whne it comes to turning out B&W prints, for that you need something that has more than one black ink cartridge.

Why did you need four? Didn't they last?
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
speters
Posted 23/02/2010 - 08:31 Link
Hi,
I use the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 and absolutely love it. It prints 17 x 22 but you can extend it to 17 x 37.5 inches. Never seen any better color from any printer and the black & white prints are just as stunning. Only drawback, it's not cheap - $ 1200.- But I have never regret spending the money on it.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.