I need advice on a new printer


adwb

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 13:28
Hi, some advice please, I am looking to buy a new printer purely for photo printing.
I have always in the past used various ink-jet Epsom models with their inks and paper as well as other brands of inks and paper, and been fairly happy with the results.
I now want to get a printer that will handle larger than A4 [US letter] sizes certainly A3 size.
there seems to be thermal ink sublimation printers as well as ink-jet ?
comments and suggestions please ?
Alistair
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit

pink

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 13:36
epson R1900 is recommended by most and you can buy ciss for them here is a link for a review

R1900


james

arto

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 16:10
Don't overlook the HP B9180. I don't have personal experience of this printer (I run a large format HP) but from what I hear it produces superb colour and black and white with Vivera inks (highly neutral and best longevity in class). It seems to be good value for money too and sips ink compared to an Epson.

Review here.
www.siskinpress.co.uk

pentaxian450

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 19:26
You can also get the cheaper HP B 8850 (which is essentially a 9180 with scaled down features), or even less expensive, the B 8550. The 8850 uses the same inks as the 9180, but the 8550 uses only 5 Vivera inks. If cost is a concern, the 8550 gives very good results at a lower cost, but is slower than the other two.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Anvh

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:05
What about a Canon iPF5000 for 899,00
It's an older model I believe but it can print A2+ format (17 inch) and has 12 colours.
Ain't 100% sure they ship outside the Netherlands but you can always give them a call link
I couldn't link you to the printer directly but search for the printer type or for the article number 120626
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:10
pink wrote:
epson R1900 is recommended by most and you can buy ciss for them here is a link for a review

R1900


james

Another vote for the Epson. Comparing the quality of photos and finish from the Epson vs HP (I have used both), Epson wins every time.

The Photomonk

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:12
Anvh wrote:
What about a Canon iPF5000 for 899,00
It's an older model I believe but it can print A2+ format (17 inch) and has 12 colours.
Ain't 100% sure they ship outside the Netherlands but you can always give them a call link
I couldn't link you to the printer directly but search for the printer type or for the article number 120626

Sorry Stefan, I can't bring myself to buy anything with the brand name of "Canon".

The Photomonk

Anvh

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:28
Photomonk wrote:
Sorry Stefan, I can't bring myself to buy anything with the brand name of "Canon".

Same thoughts about their DSLR camera's, they simply aren't make for me but the printers are very decent at least so far as I used them and I know some other members using them with pleasure.
I had quite some driver problems with HP so won't get one of those, never tried Epson though but they do seem to be very good although you need to be careful not to mix the different brands of inkt.

By the way, just saying I don't use anything with the name "Canon" says truly nothing, please tell us why you don't.

ps. seems you haven't used a Canon printer before from your comment above.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 20/02/2010 - 21:28

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:43
Anvh wrote:
ps. seems you haven't used a Canon printer before from your comment above.

Oh, I had one Canon printer just once. It lasted a whole year and a month, the quality was so-so, the cartridges did not last long and were not cheap, and finally went completely down about a month out of warranty. Never again for that brand.

As for HP, my biggest complaint is the drivers or lack of proper ones since the upgrade to Apple's Snow Leopard. I have been able to find generic ones, but the performance of the printers has crawled to a painful experience.

As for the Epson printers, I have not had any issues in over five years of use.

The Photomonk

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 21:46
... our DX6000 is good but the inks magically dry up after a year. They're full for a while - and we use the printer rarely - and then, one day, they're empty.

hmm. Me? Skeptic?

*is* there a printer company that just creates "drivers" and not a 200MB bloatware special that monitors everything?

Sorry, I'm just a tad disillusioned

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

Anvh

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 22:05
Photomonk wrote:
Anvh wrote:
ps. seems you haven't used a Canon printer before from your comment above.

Oh, I had one Canon printer just once. It lasted a whole year and a month, the quality was so-so, the cartridges did not last long and were not cheap, and finally went completely down about a month out of warranty. Never again for that brand.

As for HP, my biggest complaint is the drivers or lack of proper ones since the upgrade to Apple's Snow Leopard. I have been able to find generic ones, but the performance of the printers has crawled to a painful experience.

As for the Epson printers, I have not had any issues in over five years of use.

The Photomonk

Seems I'm not the only one struggling with the HP drivers, and the installation is quite cumbersome with all those steps.

Sorry about your experience about Canon we have 3 canons in the direct family (me, my father and my mother) and haven't had any problems with them hardware or software wise *touches the wood*

bretti_kivi wrote:
... our DX6000 is good but the inks magically dry up after a year. They're full for a while - and we use the printer rarely - and then, one day, they're empty.

Couldn't it be that the inkt dried in your printer head and obstruct it?
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 22:13
bretti_kivi wrote:
*is* there a printer company that just creates "drivers" and not a 200MB bloatware special that monitors everything?

Sorry, I'm just a tad disillusioned

Bret

Bret,

I am not sure what operating system you are using, but one advantage I found with Windows 7 is you do not have to use the install disk that comes with all that annoying bloatware. I just plug in the printer (or whatever) and the operating system goes online and finds the latest driver only and installs it. Since that feature has come about, I have cut down on the amount of useless programs on my netbook.

The Photomonk

pink

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 22:58
is the hp b9180 tri ink ?

my wife printer is and one it's expensive.

plus you are tied to there paper because of additive on the paper

also I think it's NOT QUICK DRYING you have to wait 14 days to put the image under glass

James

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 23:02
pink wrote:
also I think it's NOT QUICK DRYING you have to wait 14 days to put the image under glass

James

James,

I have found that to be mostly true with HP ink, though I am not sure about the 14 day part, but from my own experience at least several days to completely cure. As for the paper, I believe you are right.

The Photomonk

i-Berg

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 00:21
The drying-up and nozzle-clogging reports were what put me off buying a pigment ink printer of any brand. YMMV - I don't print enough to keep all the coloured inks flowing without potentially suffering from those problems.

We've had HP, C and E printers in the household, so no reason for brand loyalty there. I also wanted a reasonable scanner that could do our old negatives.

Last week I ended up getting a Canon MP990 that can do both. Current print-head technology, with six ink cartridges including a black pigment ink that is used for text (which we do the most of anyway), and a grey that is used for decent BW prints.

Because it is also wireless (else wired LAN or just USB, your choice), it serves as our default network printer, and works well.

Check the reviews. You can pick them up for AUD $370 here.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.