Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How WR without a WR Lens ?

MartynUK
Posted 18/02/2011 - 18:14 Link
I just wondered how water - resistant a Pentax camera would be without a WR lens attached ?

Is there some kind of sealing that would prevent water getting into the body through the lens ?

I would risk the loss of a non-WR lens in a rough situation - but not the loss of the camera!
Tyr
Posted 18/02/2011 - 18:22 Link
Water could get into the mount and lens. You would ruin your camera and lens.
Hardgravity
Posted 18/02/2011 - 18:36 Link
Bad weather in short bursts doesn't seem to worry this combination.

I used my K200d in Girona last year when it snowed/rained horrifically, the sigma 18-200 misted up for a day or two but the body stayed dry inside.

I wouldn't risk dropping the combo into a river/stream/pond though!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnriley
Posted 18/02/2011 - 18:49 Link
Some years ago I had a SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm f4 lens that was filled with water through a leaking camera bag. It was quite a storm I was caught in to be fair.

I emptied the water out of the lens, half a cupful it seemed, and left the lens to dry out. It continued to perform perfectly well.

This is not something I would recommend! Ideally WR lenses should be used and then there is some confidence that we can actually go out and shoot in the rain.
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 18/02/2011 - 19:23 Link
MartynUK wrote:
I just wondered how water - resistant a Pentax camera would be without a WR lens attached ?

It isn't
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
MartynUK
Posted 18/02/2011 - 20:11 Link
johnriley wrote:
Ideally WR lenses should be used and then there is some confidence that we can actually go out and shoot in the rain.

So am I right in thinking that the ONLY WR lenses available at the moment are the two or three WR lenses from Pentax ? Guess I'll have to rely on the plastic bag and rubber bands!
johnriley
Posted 18/02/2011 - 20:19 Link
There are quite a few weather reesistant Pentax lenses. The WR lenses have simplified resistance to water ingress but the DA* lenses have a more complete weather and dust resistance.

The latter category include 55mm f1.4, 300mm f4, 200mm f2.8, 16-50mm f2.8, 50-135mm f2.8 and 60-250mm f4.

So far as I am aware there are no other makes offering this feature for Pentax cameras.
Best regards, John
royd63uk
Posted 18/02/2011 - 20:43 Link
a plastic bag works fine
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
snappychappy
Posted 18/02/2011 - 21:27 Link
The clue is in the title, "resistant" and not "waterproof".
johnriley
Posted 18/02/2011 - 21:37 Link
snappychappy wrote:

Very true. However, the lenses are resistant enough to use in the rain without any problems. The promotional video shows a jug of water being poured over camera and lens, which amounts to the same thing.
Best regards, John
fatspider
Posted 18/02/2011 - 21:39 Link
I used my K10D with a non WR lens in the pouring rain and never had any problems, I just made sure I kept wiping around the lens and mount. the only problem is when you come to blow your nose as your hankerchief is soaked

I found the weak spot (the area around the mount) only got wet when you raise the camera to take a picture, when hanging around the neck I found the lens tended to force the camera into a downward position so rain wasn't hitting the mount area anyway.

I should add this was with an FA28-80 which I wasnt particularly bothered about ruining as long as I got the shots, that was three or four years ago and the lens has shown no signs of being any worse for its "ordeal"
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
chrism_scotland
Posted 18/02/2011 - 22:03 Link
I bought a rain cover a few years back for a Sony which I'm going to use it did a good job with it, I had also thought about trying to pickup a cheap 18-55 WR just so I can still get out with my camera in the wet!
Gwyn
Posted 18/02/2011 - 22:41 Link
I used the K20D with the Pentax 17-70 in the pouring rain with no problems. I was soaked to the skin but camera and lens were just dandy.

I used the K5 with the same 17-70 attached, on a dog sled, at - 20C in a snow storm, with no ill effects (to the camera at any rate) though I did have to chip the ice off it after that.
Oggy
Posted 18/02/2011 - 23:42 Link
snappychappy wrote:

Not really. The term "water resistant" is meaningless without a qualifier.

My diving watch for example is not claimed to be waterproof, but water resistant to 200m.
johnriley
Posted 18/02/2011 - 23:57 Link
It's defined on page 7 of the lens instruction booklet, up to a point. In practical terms it is a useful feature though that offers better water resistance than standard lens manufacture.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.