How to use lens pen?

cher-cher

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 11:41
Hi, I am a noob in DSLR, so I need some help. I just bought a lens pen from this site. I observed that it leave (I tried it only on my hand, I was afraid to test it on the lens) that carbon marks other forum members talked about. As I am not the only one seing that, I have to presume this is normal. But now is my question: when I will try to clean the lens wouldn“t the lend get dirty by those residues (that appeared to me kinda greasy, but this might be the effect of being carbon microparticles)? How do I clean those carbon (or what it is) marks I suppose will appear when I use the pen? Shall I use a microfiber after cleaning?
Anyway, I guess this pen is to be used for fingerprints, not for dust, right?
And one more question about the pen: is it to be used also for sensor?
Many thanks

iceblinker

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 11:57
Yes, a LensPen should be used for fingerprints and the like, rather than dust and grit. The carbon is normal and is how it works. It absorbs grease.

1. Blow (preferably with a bulb blower).

2. If any dust or grit particles remain, lightly brush with the LensPen's brush. Blow again afterwards as well.

3. Clean with the LensPen's felt pad.

4. Blow (preferably with a bulb blower).

5. If any carbon dust remains, lightly brush with the LensPen's brush.

6. Twist the LensPen in the cap to prime it with carbon ready for next time.

Occasionally wash the brush.

Microfibre cloths are not as effective, and more often leave greasy smears behind. Any smearing you see after using a LensPen is likely to be dry carbon dust which can be brushed off.
~Pete
Last Edited by iceblinker on 11/03/2010 - 12:12

beakynet

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 15:24
cher-cher wrote:
Many thanks

No

There should not be grease on the sensor, not ever! Also, the brush is not soft enough for the senor - only use the pen on filters or lens eliments.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

Mannesty

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 16:57
cher-cher wrote:

Absolutely not. By far the best dry sensor cleaning product is the Arctic Butterfly from Visible dust.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 11/03/2010 - 16:57

iceblinker

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 18:09
It wouldn't be terrible to use the LensPen for the sensor because it's the same as the SensorKlear pen from the same maker, except doesn't have a triangular pad to help get into the corners. It can help to remove stuck-on dust or dirt particles.

However, I would not use either pen as a first resort for a sensor as the carbon dust is harder to get rid of from a sensor than a lens. I use a blower or Arctic Butterfly in preference.
~Pete

iceblinker

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 18:16
beakynet wrote:
There should not be grease on the sensor, not ever!

How greasy are insects? One could land and die on your sensor

Seriously, for whatever reason, sometimes there can be things stuck on the sensor that don't come off with blowing or statically-charged brushing.

Personally, with my new camera, I've decided to leave the sensor alone until there's something really bad on it. It's too easy to get obsessed with trying to get it perfectly clean. I recommend that you *DON'T* take a picture of a white sheet of paper at f22. It's too revealing.
~Pete
Last Edited by iceblinker on 11/03/2010 - 18:17

cher-cher

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 21:34
Thank you a lot for the advices!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.