How to know what P-shift is in use?

niklas

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 16:39
In my User Defined Settings on the K20D, I have set up e-dials in Sv mode to have Sensitivity on the front dial and P-shift on the rear dial.

Now I wonder how to determine what P-shift, at any given time, is up in use, when turning the rear dial?

Will that show anywhere or somehow by the push of any button?
And will it be reset to whatever the standard choise of Programme Line when pushing green or any other button?

Niklas
15mm - 450mm equivalent, and still can't reach...

niklas

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 12:39
I guess there's not really any answer on this issue from us users nor from Pentax??

Niklas
Last Edited by niklas on 02/08/2009 - 12:40

Aero

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 15:10
Hi, Niklas,

On the GX20, the P settings appear on the top-plate LCD when it's set up as you describe. The green button returns them to the standard settings. I assume it's the same on the K20D.

Hope this helps.

Al

Anvh

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 15:24
This already asked before don't know by who and where on this forum though.

P-shift doesn't mean you change the Program mode you change the standard/zero value it use.
It's a bit like changing for example the aperture in AV mode you change the balance between the settings you don't change the mode.

ps. found the other forum entry link
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 02/08/2009 - 15:26

niklas

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 20:22
After reading that thread, I believe the end of the thread is misunderstanding the option in subject.

I believe that when the e-dial is set to control the programme line shifting, it's meant to be understood from the manual like you, anvh, stated:

Normal - the camera will try to get the optimum aperture and shutterspeed
High Speed - camera will try to get the fastest shutterspeed
Depth - camera tries to have the lowest f-number
MTF- camera tries to use the sharpest aperture

Thank you for that information and thanks to Aero for information on where to read out what programme line is in action presently.

I will give it a try if the K20D does it the same way.
It puzzles me why these informations are not in the user manual?

After testing, my Programme Line Shift set e-dail just operates the Aperture and in top display is nothing to be seen, nor is there in the VF og when pressing ifo button.

What is wrong here??
What do I do wrong??

Niklas
Last Edited by niklas on 02/08/2009 - 20:34

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 20:43
Niklas,
I'm a bit confused by your comments...

Sv works like this:
* Front dial adjusts ISO. You see this in the viewfinder
* Camera chooses appropriate Av/Tv combination for the chosen ISO
* What values it chooses initially depends on the Custom setting (Normal, High speed, Depth, MTF)
* When you adjust the rear e-dial it will simply shift the Av/Tv combination from the initially chosen values (changing Av & Tv together to keep the exposure correct)
* Pressing the Green button puts the Av & Tv combination back to the 'default' as chosen by your program line choice.

If your K20D isn't doing that - do check what happens in other modes (e.g. Tv or Av, or P mode)

Hope that helps!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Helpful

niklas

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 20:54
Thank you very much MattMatic.

I found your comment helpful.

I was a little mislead by reading, more than one place on different Pentax communities, about setting an e-dial in the USER menu for P-Shift when in Sv mode would function as for changing Programme Line choise.

Now the world seems more simple and cheerful.

Niklas

Anvh

Link Posted 02/08/2009 - 21:46
niklas wrote:
I believe that when the e-dial is set to control the programme line shifting, it's meant to be understood from the manual like you, anvh, stated:

Normal - the camera will try to get the optimum aperture and shutterspeed
High Speed - camera will try to get the fastest shutterspeed
Depth - camera tries to have the lowest f-number
MTF- camera tries to use the sharpest aperture

After testing, my Programme Line Shift set e-dail just operates the Aperture and in top display is nothing to be seen, nor is there in the VF og when pressing ifo button.

What is wrong here??
What do I do wrong??

Niklas

No that's wrong like Matt told you and I a comment earlier it change the aperture, sorry if I was a bit vague

MattMatic wrote:

* What values it chooses initially depends on the Custom setting (Normal, High speed, Depth, MTF)

It goes a bit further then that, when the exposure change it will also act differently.

If you have it set on depth for example it will keep the F-number as low as long as it can so until it it's the border of the iso speed and shutterspeed only then it ups the F-number.

With MTF you will see that when you've set the lens wide open and the scene becomes brighter that it also change the F-number even if the shutterspeed isn't at his end (1/4000).

So basically with P-Shift you're saying that the "program" must work with so much F-stops slower or faster then the standard program so you shift the balance of the program.

Hopefully this a bit more useful then my first comment
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.