How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8

clover

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 10:35
I already post this in pentaxforums.com, but it seems that it is helpfull to post here :

For the 16-50mm

http://www.pentaxiste.org/pratique/depannage/article/how-to-deactivate-sdm-and-a...

For the 50-135mm

http://www.pentaxiste.org/pratique/depannage/article/how-to-deactivate-sdm-and-a...
Last Edited by clover on 02/01/2013 - 10:52

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 12:28
Why???

All those lenses will work with screw drive only bodies, if its to get around a broken SDM lens then repairs with the newer parts can be done fairly reasonably.

I don't see the point of this...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 12:36
cabstar wrote:
Why???

All those lenses will work with screw drive only bodies, if its to get around a broken SDM lens then repairs with the newer parts can be done fairly reasonably.

You are still looking at well over £100 for an SDM repair?
If you haven't got the money then this at least gives you af capability. I believe that screw drive on these 2 lenses is also quite a bit faster than SDM ... I might even consider the 50-135mm again (and sell the Sigma 50-150mm) if I could bypass SDM.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 14:09
Last quote I had was around £125 and that was with the new upgraded parts

When I compared my 50-135 on an old k110d (screwdrive) to my GX20 focus speed there was very little difference in AF speed. I think the noise of screwdrive creates an impression of speed.

Here are some shaky videos I made at the time

Screwdrive

SDM
Concert photography

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 14:17
cabstar wrote:
Last quote I had was around £125 and that was with the new upgraded parts

When I compared my 50-135 on an old k110d (screwdrive) to my GX20 focus speed there was very little difference in AF speed. I think the noise of screwdrive creates an impression of speed.

Here are some shaky videos I made at the time

Screwdrive

SDM

£125 is a lot to some people so screw drive is still better than manual focus. Also AF speed was "supposedly" much improved with the K-7/K-5 .. I know some of my screw drive lenses were/are faster on those 2 bodies when compared with the K10D.
Last Edited by Mike-P on 02/01/2013 - 14:18

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 14:21
Didn't SDM speed also improve on the k-7 / k-5 too???
Concert photography

clover

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 14:53
cabstar wrote:
Why???

I do understand your point of view. It is obvious That the Best choice is to repair the Lens, but there are many situations where you might consider bot using sdm .
For example, the cost of reparing, using a converter, the lack of time to sens the Lens for repair it, an already failed sdm, etc...

In thèse cases, thé double af possibilities of thé Lens might be usefull

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 15:06
cabstar wrote:

If it did I never noticed it on the 50-135mm.
As I understand it the limiting factor (with regard to AF speed) of SDM lenses is the lens motor itself, hence why the 18-135mm (DC motor) is much faster

clover

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 15:22
As I noticed that very first producted 16-50mm have a slower but smoother SDM than latter ones. ( I had a very first 16-50mm avaible in France and since, I broke it, exchange for a second with SDM failure, repaired and I tried more than 5 16-50mm during a sale I made by spliting K20, 50-135 and 16-50mm before the price increasing tiume)

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 16:28
Mike-P wrote:
cabstar wrote:

If it did I never noticed it on the 50-135mm.
As I understand it the limiting factor (with regard to AF speed) of SDM lenses is the lens motor itself, hence why the 18-135mm (DC motor) is much faster

Is there a different motor in the 18-135 then???
Concert photography

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 16:31
clover wrote:
cabstar wrote:
Why???

I do understand your point of view. It is obvious That the Best choice is to repair the Lens, but there are many situations where you might consider bot using sdm .
For example, the cost of reparing, using a converter, the lack of time to sens the Lens for repair it, an already failed sdm, etc...

Hmm the use of a teleconverter is a good idea for longer glass maybe the 300mm f/4
Concert photography

johnriley

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 16:49
Quote:

Yes, it uses a different DC motor.
Best regards, John

clover

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 17:23
cabstar wrote:
clover wrote:
Quote:
Why???

Hmm the use of a teleconverter is a good idea for longer glass maybe the 300mm f/4

I sold my 300mm DA for a 300mm FA 4.5 so I can use AF with a converter.

I will try to get the lens rom from a 300mm as soon as I can

cabstar

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:46
johnriley wrote:
Quote:

Is that unique to that lens John?
Concert photography

johnriley

Link Posted 02/01/2013 - 18:56
cabstar wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Quote:

Is that unique to that lens John?

Yes, I think so. I was actually expecting the new 18-270mm to be a DC motor as well, but that one is marked up as SDM.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.