Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

how to change to back button focus

Manuela
Posted 08/10/2016 - 06:26 Link
I just got my K-1. This is my first Pentax. Could somebody please tell me how I change from the Focus button to using the AF button for focus, i.e. back button focusing? what are the steps I need to take?
Chrism8
Posted 08/10/2016 - 06:45 Link
You can change the mode in the main menu somewhere to take the focussing off the shutter release, but I just keep my thumb on the " AF " button when shooting fast moving subjects. it just takes a little getting used to and to remember to use it.

Chris
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
michaelblue
Posted 08/10/2016 - 09:55 Link
Just scroll through the menu until you see 'Button Customization' select this then you'll see 'AF button' and 'Shutter Button Half Press'
Regards,
Michael
JAK
Posted 08/10/2016 - 20:46 Link
Manuela wrote:
I just got my K-1. This is my first Pentax.

Welcome to the forum and the world of Pentax. The K-1's a great camera and I'm sure you won't be disappointed but it will be a bit of a learning curve getting to know the menus and buttons. This link to the US Pentax forum might help getting to know the menus and possible setting changes including what you requested.
Enjoy your new camera.
John K
Edited by JAK: 08/10/2016 - 20:47
vic cross
Posted 09/10/2016 - 09:08 Link
In my working life I often wrote operators manuals for machine tools and on the front of each one I always put.
IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE MANUAL. That's the best advice I can give you.
Welcome to Pentax User. I hope you have a pleasant stay. We are all mostly a friendly bunch.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
davem
Posted 11/10/2016 - 22:19 Link
I agree Vic, but the pentax manual for the K3ii is not easy to read due to a lack of care in the printing size etc. It is also quite difficult to read, understand and use.
JAK
Posted 11/10/2016 - 23:23 Link
davem wrote:
I agree Vic, but the pentax manual for the K3ii is not easy to read due to a lack of care in the printing size etc. It is also quite difficult to read, understand and use.

Download it and read it on the computer.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf
Makes it easier to search in it too.
John K
vic cross
Posted 12/10/2016 - 09:36 Link
Dave. I have the K3 & the K3ii and both of my manuals are of a reasonable size to read.
I must admit I did have a bit of a problem working out how to set up my AF540FGZ & my AF540FGZii for remote operation from the built in flash on the K3, but I worked it out in the end.
People spend a long time writing these manuals so why not use them.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
JAK
Posted 12/10/2016 - 11:01 Link
Manuela wrote:
I just got my K-1. This is my first Pentax. Could somebody please tell me how I change from the Focus button to using the AF button for focus, i.e. back button focusing? what are the steps I need to take?

Have you got is sorted now?
John K

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.