Posted 23/12/2014 - 19:04 Link
michaelblue wrote:
I hope Pentax/Ricoh take a look at the poll result above:

At the time of writing......

Often - 15%

Seldom - 20%

Never - 65%

Says a lot I think

Yes, that most Pentax users are over 30.
michaelblue
Posted 23/12/2014 - 19:12 Link
Mike-P wrote:
michaelblue wrote:

At the time of writing......

Often - 15%

Seldom - 20%

Never - 65%

Says a lot I think

Yes, that most Pentax users are over 30.

Which could explain the K-S1
Regards,
Michael
Mike-P
Posted 23/12/2014 - 19:16 Link
michaelblue wrote:

Which could explain the K-S1

I think most people realise the K-S1 is aimed at the younger market. Now if this thread was about useless flashing lights I could see a reason for it.
stu62
Posted 23/12/2014 - 19:51 Link
ai have just added my vote
and if you have read the other threads you know what it is

regards stu
StephenHampshire
Posted 23/12/2014 - 21:41 Link
I vted "Never" but I did try the video on my K5 to check it worked. I don't have the inclination or knowledge to edit videos, I doubt if I shall even touch the video button on my K3. I have got some Super -8 films I took about 40 years ago somewhere, seem to remember doing a lot of splicing with sellotape....
McGregNi
Posted 23/12/2014 - 21:55 Link
Video is an essential aspect of my DSLR .... I expect it and would look at video functions, control options and accessory support related to video, before buying another DSLR. This is not because I am any sort of serious 'videographer' or film-maker, but simply because I am a serious amateur photographer who likes to record important family times, both in stills images and video, when I'm out and about with them all. Because I value high quality in digital photographs, so I value high quality HD video, and can appreciate the output that our cameras are capable of.

But I don't have four hands, nor capacity to carry extra bags and equipment, nor the time to switch between devices when I'm with the family ... I need to be able to switch instantly between taking images and video recordings, as appropriate to whats happening. These needs can only be met by a single device, and my DSLR provides by far the best portability, versatility and quality for these combined purposes. So high quality video is an essential component on my DSLR, for me.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Russ
Posted 23/12/2014 - 22:02 Link
The result of the poll isn't surprising mind. If you had any interest in video, Pentax just wouldn't be on your shopping list at all. If video was your thing you would make a b-line for the other company that begins with P or the one that starts with an S. Same poll on their forums would get a completely different result i reckon.
I personally have never taken a video, don't intend to take one. Pentax suits me perfectly.
McGregNi
Posted 23/12/2014 - 22:17 Link
Well, its there if you ever need it, and I doubt it added much to your cost.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
scarr1
Posted 23/12/2014 - 23:07 Link
Never used it.
I bought a kr, then a k5, and would have still bought them even without the video function.
But, as Nigel says, its there if you need it.
50mpCMOS
Posted 23/12/2014 - 23:15 Link
Chances are Pentax will most likely even have 4k video in one of it's flagship models in a year or two; which would be a sincere game changer - even more than full frame.

Take a look at the price of the Canon EOS 1d C variation. Also even the attempt at a smaller version the Panasonic GH4.

On the down side... Shooting video at 4k, and then wanting to later edit it would also spell out quite impressive computer specs. Find me a system that does 4k editing effectively at less than 2k euros
Kseries
Posted 24/12/2014 - 15:24 Link
Well, I added my never to the poll. Despite my somewhat negative feeling towards video being included in my DSLR, I've put making a short video in my photography 'things to do' list for 2015.
mayday
Posted 24/12/2014 - 16:54 Link
When taking stills at my Granddaughter's nativity play or birthday parties etc, it's always good to have a video option as well, in order to capture some of the action. Also save having to carry two cameras - for still and video.
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
fatspider
Posted 24/12/2014 - 17:36 Link
michaelblue wrote:

Why?
Removing the video feature would be the last thing they would think of if trying to stay competitive, unless the other manufacturers bring out similar models.
There is of course the option of offering a model either with or without. but I doubt it would be economically viable to produce both, consumers would likely end up paying that bit more for the video option "just in case"
StephenHampshire
Posted 24/12/2014 - 19:41 Link
fatspider wrote:
michaelblue wrote:

Why?
Removing the video feature would be the last thing they would think of if trying to stay competitive, unless the other manufacturers bring out similar models.
There is of course the option of offering a model either with or without. but I doubt it would be economically viable to produce both, consumers would likely end up paying that bit more for the video option "just in case"

Just because I don't use I, I see no reason to remove the capability for video from any Pentax or Ricoh camera, others do use it, and presumably live view performance is improved by the video enabled technology...
Dave-L
Posted 25/12/2014 - 02:17 Link
Assuming that "seldom" (my answer) equates to "sometimes", I'd say that 35% of respondents using it sometimes (the current poll result) is a very good reason for Ricoh to retain the feature!

It does seem to be a biased poll though, as 'seldom' implies 'hardly ever' but that isn't true in my case. 'Sometimes' would have been a more even handed option, I think. I very nearly used the video tonight to capture the International Space Station pass but being short of time, and not having my 2nd Pentax and tripod with me, I elected to try some 15 second photos instead.
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/DA*200F2.8/DA*300F4/DA*50-135/DA*60-250/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Edited by Dave-L: 25/12/2014 - 02:23

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.