How many K-01 owners here?
Posted 17/08/2012 - 14:38
Link
ChrisA wrote:
So do you think that airshow photography with a K-01 at arms length and a 50-500 on the front would be practical?BigJR wrote:
[quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder. Everything else will not be in real time and then there's the time lag from pressing the shutter to the image being captured. You might manage to capture something now and again at arms length as long as it's not moving too fast A lot of the time you will just capture a blank frame
-
You're clearly speaking from your own experience not mine.[quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder. Everything else will not be in real time and then there's the time lag from pressing the shutter to the image being captured. You might manage to capture something now and again at arms length as long as it's not moving too fast A lot of the time you will just capture a blank frame
-
Although I do think I know the answer, it's a genuine question - I can't imagine shooting aircraft with a K-01, especially if the LCD has the sun on it.
The 50-500 is heavy enough to hand hold at the best of times, let alone at arms length [/quote]Did I say that (or even suggest it) anywhere?
The fact is I was speaking from my own experience which covers the sort of pictures I take. I don't do airshow photography, so that bears absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever.
What I did say was that it's horses for courses. The guys taking shots trackside weren't likely using a K-01 or Q, in just the same way a FF DSLR with giant telephoto wouldn't really suit me.
Posted 17/08/2012 - 14:47
Link
BigJR wrote:
Although I do think I know the answer, it's a genuine question - I can't imagine shooting aircraft with a K-01, especially if the LCD has the sun on it.
The 50-500 is heavy enough to hand hold at the best of times, let alone at arms length
Did I say that (or even suggest it) anywhere?[/quote]Sorry if I've misunderstood - when you said to Algi that he was speaking from his experience not yours, it suggested to me that you had experience of action photography with the K-01.
ChrisA wrote:
So do you think that airshow photography with a K-01 at arms length and a 50-500 on the front would be practical?BigJR wrote:
[quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder...
-
You're clearly speaking from your own experience not mine.[quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder...
-
Although I do think I know the answer, it's a genuine question - I can't imagine shooting aircraft with a K-01, especially if the LCD has the sun on it.
The 50-500 is heavy enough to hand hold at the best of times, let alone at arms length
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 17/08/2012 - 14:50
Link
ChrisA wrote:
Although I do think I know the answer, it's a genuine question - I can't imagine shooting aircraft with a K-01, especially if the LCD has the sun on it.
The 50-500 is heavy enough to hand hold at the best of times, let alone at arms length
Did I say that (or even suggest it) anywhere?[/quote]Sorry if I've misunderstood - when you said to Algi that he was speaking from his experience not yours, it suggested to me that you had experience of action photography with the K-01.[/quote]I was saying that I have experience of taking photographs and using a screen (rather than viewfinder) to compose.BigJR wrote:
So do you think that airshow photography with a K-01 at arms length and a 50-500 on the front would be practical?ChrisA wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="BigJR"][quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder...
-
You're clearly speaking from your own experience not mine.[quote:3496ace15f="BigJR"][quote="Algi"]
For live action nothing beats a direct optical viewfinder...
-
Although I do think I know the answer, it's a genuine question - I can't imagine shooting aircraft with a K-01, especially if the LCD has the sun on it.
The 50-500 is heavy enough to hand hold at the best of times, let alone at arms length
'Live action' covers a whole lot more than airshows, at least in my mind.
Apparently I'm wrong though. And nothing without a viewfinder will do.
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:00
Link
When it comes down to it if you're familiar with the equipment you're using and can use it well, you can get good results out of something most would consider 'unsuitable'.
Using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and Instagram, I've captured some cracking shots of my 18 month old son going down the slide in the park, on the swings, running around the garden, etc. It's not easy at first, but the thing with any lag is that it is generally consistent. This means once you've got used to it you can easily compensate for it.
Take the Q for example, in certain conditions the screen can be a little choppy, which can make shooting lice action a challenge. My work around is generally to pre-focus where possible and use continuous shooting (and start shooting a little earlier than you think is necessary).
Using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and Instagram, I've captured some cracking shots of my 18 month old son going down the slide in the park, on the swings, running around the garden, etc. It's not easy at first, but the thing with any lag is that it is generally consistent. This means once you've got used to it you can easily compensate for it.
Take the Q for example, in certain conditions the screen can be a little choppy, which can make shooting lice action a challenge. My work around is generally to pre-focus where possible and use continuous shooting (and start shooting a little earlier than you think is necessary).
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:26
Link
One of the best ideas for a viewfinder never caught on
It was the Voigtlander Kontur Finder seen and described here:
http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/voigtlanderbessar2/index.php
I have the 6x6 version. You keep both eyes open and see the
scene as normal, but with a white frame superimposed in your
brain
-
It was the Voigtlander Kontur Finder seen and described here:
http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/voigtlanderbessar2/index.php
I have the 6x6 version. You keep both eyes open and see the
scene as normal, but with a white frame superimposed in your
brain
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:35
Link
You could use that with the Q or K-01 Algi. I think I would find it disturbing, but no doubt there are plenty of us who would find it useful.
Best regards, John
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:39
Link
Algernon wrote:
One of the best ideas for a viewfinder never caught on
It was the Voigtlander Kontur Finder seen and described here:
http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/voigtlanderbessar2/index.php
I have the 6x6 version. You keep both eyes open and see the
scene as normal, but with a white frame superimposed in your
brain
-
I like the look of that...
One of the best ideas for a viewfinder never caught on
It was the Voigtlander Kontur Finder seen and described here:
http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/voigtlanderbessar2/index.php
I have the 6x6 version. You keep both eyes open and see the
scene as normal, but with a white frame superimposed in your
brain
-
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:49
Link
Just had a quick look on the K-5 with the Pentax-F 24-50mm
zoom and the left-right 6x6 frames cover about 37mm. So
35mm should be OK.
The upper-lower lines also have parallax lines so the
upper parallax line is probably about right. There's
also a very prominent centre dot.
There was also a 35mm version marked for 50mm lens
and a 6x9
You use it with your eye about an inch away. Works
well in normal roomlight as well as sunlight.
zoom and the left-right 6x6 frames cover about 37mm. So
35mm should be OK.
The upper-lower lines also have parallax lines so the
upper parallax line is probably about right. There's
also a very prominent centre dot.
There was also a 35mm version marked for 50mm lens
and a 6x9
You use it with your eye about an inch away. Works
well in normal roomlight as well as sunlight.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:53
Link
Anything that messes around with your brain is good with me.
Posted 17/08/2012 - 15:56
Link
Just a thought...if you used the finder at different distances from your eye(s) would that simulate the effect of different focal lengths (albeit a rough approximation)?
Posted 17/08/2012 - 16:29
Link
It only works at about 0.5" to 1.5"
Should work with spectacles as well
-
Should work with spectacles as well
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


8880 posts
16 years
Lancashire
especially when the site concerned has also done a
page on the viewfinder.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/AA77A3.HTM
Also the same review states that on continuous shooting the
A77 is showing the previous frame captured and not the one
currently being captured Hardly an example of no lag
This site shows the A77 to have more shutter lag than
the K-5.... this will help the viewfinder to look a
bit more efficient.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax_K-5-vs-Sony-A77
-
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi