How many K-01 owners here?
Posted 17/08/2012 - 09:31
Link
I think we might see a bit of a price crash in the same way as the 'Q' has gone. It is already beginning with the SRS body only deal at £349 but they could come lower still.
Dave
Dave
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:12
Link
There will be a point where I can't resist a K-01, basically for use as a studio camera for copying and small product shots. On a tripod, using the back screen is a very effective way to set these up. I've even used the Q for this.
At the moment I use the K20D for this purpose, so I don't need another body, but it would be handy.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
At the moment I use the K20D for this purpose, so I don't need another body, but it would be handy.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
Best regards, John
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:16
Link
John,
I bet that point will be a price point! The Tesco deal combined with the Jessops viewfinder deal reached the irresistible point for me.
Dave
I bet that point will be a price point! The Tesco deal combined with the Jessops viewfinder deal reached the irresistible point for me.
Dave
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:18
Link
Blincodave wrote:
John,
I bet that point will be a price point! The Tesco deal combined with the Jessops viewfinder deal reached the irresistible point for me.
Dave
Though I gave in to the Tesco deal, I'm so far holding off on the viewfinder deal. Do you have the viewfinder? If so, how do you find it?
John,
I bet that point will be a price point! The Tesco deal combined with the Jessops viewfinder deal reached the irresistible point for me.
Dave
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:18
Link
It may well be a price point, as I realise that sooner or later the K20D will have to be upgraded, so I may jump whilst it has the right second hand value compared to the cost of the new purchase. It could even be a zero-cost deal.
Best regards, John
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:20
Link
Quote:
Do you have the viewfinder? If so, how do you find it?
The viewfinder is a superb piece of engineering. It is crystal clear, just like the best Voigtlander viewfinders of the 1950s and 1960s.Do you have the viewfinder? If so, how do you find it?
As I see it, it turns the Q into a classic reportage camera, not unlike an early Leica with external viewfinder but much quicker and easier to use. And with much better optics.
Best regards, John
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:23
Link
johnriley wrote:
There will be a point where I can't resist a K-01, basically for use as a studio camera for copying and small product shots. On a tripod, using the back screen is a very effective way to set these up. I've even used the Q for this.
At the moment I use the K20D for this purpose, so I don't need another body, but it would be handy.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
I know what you mean! A couple of the deals around at the moment are literally hovering right around that 'point', and I'm having to try my best to resist.There will be a point where I can't resist a K-01, basically for use as a studio camera for copying and small product shots. On a tripod, using the back screen is a very effective way to set these up. I've even used the Q for this.
At the moment I use the K20D for this purpose, so I don't need another body, but it would be handy.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
Not been much of a large sensor fan in the past, I've owned (non-Pentax) DSLRs but found myself not using them much. Since seeing the K-01 in the flesh though, it has really struck a chord with me. Whilst it may have its detractors and perceived weaknesses compared to other CSCs, the combination of K5 image quality in a slightly smaller body and access to a huge lens library positions it fairly well I'd say.
I'm not helping myself here, credit card may take a battering very shortly!
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:23
Link
My initial impressions are the same as John's. Jessops don't appear to have many left, however, of these £49.99 bargains.
Dave
Dave
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:25
Link
johnriley wrote:
As I see it, it turns the Q into a classic reportage camera, not unlike an early Leica with external viewfinder but much quicker and easier to use. And with much better optics.
Thanks John.Quote:
Do you have the viewfinder? If so, how do you find it?
The viewfinder is a superb piece of engineering. It is crystal clear, just like the best Voigtlander viewfinders of the 1950s and 1960s.Do you have the viewfinder? If so, how do you find it?
As I see it, it turns the Q into a classic reportage camera, not unlike an early Leica with external viewfinder but much quicker and easier to use. And with much better optics.
Do you find it makes the Q a little more awkward size-wise? Specifically thinking the way you handle the camera when not in use. I fear that I'd constantly be worried about knocking the viewfinder. I guess the saving grace is that it would be a £50 viewfinder not a £220 viewfinder...
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:27
Link
Blincodave wrote:
My initial impressions are the same as John's. Jessops don't appear to have many left, however, of these £49.99 bargains.
Dave
Still got them available for collect at store at Worcester, just 19 miles from me...tempted.
My initial impressions are the same as John's. Jessops don't appear to have many left, however, of these £49.99 bargains.
Dave
Posted 17/08/2012 - 10:38
Link
johnriley wrote:
There will be a point where I can't resist a K-01, basically for use as a studio camera for copying and small product shots. On a tripod, using the back screen is a very effective way to set these up.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
To get this thread focussed back on the K-01, that was my first thought when I saw it - ideal on a tripod composing off the LCD. There will be a point where I can't resist a K-01, basically for use as a studio camera for copying and small product shots. On a tripod, using the back screen is a very effective way to set these up.
It might also be useful for flower studies - composing on the screen is an effective way of avoiding having to constantly bend my back to look through the viewfinder.
Personally wouldn't buy one for anything else, as I really think cameras should have view-finders!
I get fed-up trying to avoid photographers holding their cameras out in front of them at arms length.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


238 posts
15 years
I was wondering how many forum members currently own the K-01 and how they're finding it?
Couldn't help but see the K-01 body SRS have for £349...!!