How do handle your lenses when shooting?
Posted 21/03/2010 - 22:19
Link
I try not to be in a rush so I always replace the front and rear caps, reversing the lens hood and back into individual cases or pouches. Then I know when I next want the lens where it is and what state it is in. Rules get broken when I'm hurrying but that's very rare. I also always put the front lens cap into the same pocket when it's off the lens so I can get it without thinking.
If rushed I'll rather shoot with a less appropriate lens rather than hurry the change.
Mike
If rushed I'll rather shoot with a less appropriate lens rather than hurry the change.
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 21/03/2010 - 22:30
Link
very carefully
Having but 2 lenses I usually have the one I want to use on , before I leave the house .
The front lens cap usually goes in my R hand jacket pocket . Back lens cap goes on the lens NOT in use
Having but 2 lenses I usually have the one I want to use on , before I leave the house .
The front lens cap usually goes in my R hand jacket pocket . Back lens cap goes on the lens NOT in use
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 21/03/2010 - 22:42
Link
Glad to see you aren't like me.
I do simply switch the rear cap but the front cap gets into the part where the camera was as well, that part is quite big I can fit the DFA 100mm with hood there without a problem. The DA*50-135 however is a problem but I mostly try to find the time to find the front cap for that lens.
I do simply switch the rear cap but the front cap gets into the part where the camera was as well, that part is quite big I can fit the DFA 100mm with hood there without a problem. The DA*50-135 however is a problem but I mostly try to find the time to find the front cap for that lens.
Posted 21/03/2010 - 22:58
Link
Usual procedure is swap the rear caps and pocket the front cap. After using the lens i'll pat each pocket for the front cap, and, not finding it, look in my bag, pat my pockets again, retrace my steps while peering at the ground, and then, after a more thorough rummage, find it has mysteriously reappeared in my pocket.
Posted 21/03/2010 - 23:10
Link
Only my DA*300mm regularly has a lens cap on it, when stored in my bag it has the hood reversed and both caps in place. However, the 16-45, mounted on the camera, has a Cokin polariser fitted and no cap, the Sigma 105mm has a hood and no cap, as does the FA50mm.
I have a rocket blower to hand to remove any dust that may have settled on the lens, but I can't be doing with removing caps every time I switch lenses, and they're pretty well protected, with the hoods fitted and their own compartments in the bag.
Dan
I have a rocket blower to hand to remove any dust that may have settled on the lens, but I can't be doing with removing caps every time I switch lenses, and they're pretty well protected, with the hoods fitted and their own compartments in the bag.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 22/03/2010 - 06:34
Link
Just read a blog on street photography techniques that said the true pro would quickly spot the amateur by their use of front lens caps on lenses that are in the bag.
So it's official, I'm an amateur! I try to protect my lenses as much as possible (though I mostly don't use protector filters - just on my 12-24 & 17-70, which seem more exposed) - so when changing I replace the front cap (and reverse the hood if it's a bigger lens) then remove it and switch rear caps with the lens replacing it. The front lens cap goes into my left pocket - except when I forget to put it there. I also try to prevent dust on the sensor by changing lenses with the camera upside down and the new lens resting on a solid surface - another reason to have the cap on as I wouldn't want to place a lens face down without one.
In any case, lens changing is kept to a minimum as I like to wander around making the most of the focal length I've got attached to the camera before changing. For the kind of photos I shoot - they generally include people - changing lenses would often defeat the object because the moment would be lost in the time it takes to change lenses. Better just to concentrate on the strengths of what's on the camera. Although, one other thing I often do is take along my LX3 for a wide option when I've only got longer lenses. The drawback to this is that the image quality isn't of course as good, but I've still got many shots I'm happy with from it (it's also nice to have on the everyday occasions when you don't want the bulk of an SLR at all).
So it's official, I'm an amateur! I try to protect my lenses as much as possible (though I mostly don't use protector filters - just on my 12-24 & 17-70, which seem more exposed) - so when changing I replace the front cap (and reverse the hood if it's a bigger lens) then remove it and switch rear caps with the lens replacing it. The front lens cap goes into my left pocket - except when I forget to put it there. I also try to prevent dust on the sensor by changing lenses with the camera upside down and the new lens resting on a solid surface - another reason to have the cap on as I wouldn't want to place a lens face down without one.
In any case, lens changing is kept to a minimum as I like to wander around making the most of the focal length I've got attached to the camera before changing. For the kind of photos I shoot - they generally include people - changing lenses would often defeat the object because the moment would be lost in the time it takes to change lenses. Better just to concentrate on the strengths of what's on the camera. Although, one other thing I often do is take along my LX3 for a wide option when I've only got longer lenses. The drawback to this is that the image quality isn't of course as good, but I've still got many shots I'm happy with from it (it's also nice to have on the everyday occasions when you don't want the bulk of an SLR at all).
Posted 22/03/2010 - 06:44
Link
Im very much like Will, always going through pockets to find the front cap, (and then blaming my missus if she's with me).... But do tend to leave a filter on.
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......
Paul
:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......
Paul
:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
Posted 22/03/2010 - 13:57
Link
I use both lens caps when lenses are off the camera, and tend to replace the front one between shots. I do it without thinking and to be honest I'm glad I got into that habit - I'd rather the lens cap got scratched than the front element!
I do wonder if it's a case of professionals not being as protective of their kit as amateurs. To a pro, the camera is just a tool and they're insured against accidental damage, as well as expecting to replace gear every few years as a business expense.
I do wonder if it's a case of professionals not being as protective of their kit as amateurs. To a pro, the camera is just a tool and they're insured against accidental damage, as well as expecting to replace gear every few years as a business expense.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 22/03/2010 - 14:15
Link
Quote:
I always replace both caps, I keep the front cap of the lens in use in my pocket & I just swap the rear caps when changing lenses.
me too
I always replace both caps, I keep the front cap of the lens in use in my pocket & I just swap the rear caps when changing lenses.
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 22/03/2010 - 15:28
Link
Pros just get the kit they need for the job and the job(s) pay for the gear. So the pro is less likely to take too much care of their lenses! However the keen amateur does not have a bottomless pit of money to throw away on lenses. Each lens has a well known hard earned price tag and is looked after accordingly. Out of the bag, rear cap off, onto the camera. Front cap off, take the shots, cap back on. Change lenses, rear cap off new lens, old lens off camera, new lens on and caps back and in the bag for the old. Seems tedious but it does help to look after the front and rear elements and also keep the dust and dirt out. Then if there is a need to sell the lens in the future, it will not look like a battered pro replica on ebay (One careful owner!!)
Regards
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
David
Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Posted 22/03/2010 - 19:21
Link
The rear cap from one lens goes on the one coming off. I don't necessarily put the front cap on though, if I am likely to be wanting that lens again a couple of minutes later.
The lens on the camera never has the front cap on while it is out of the bag. The lens cap is usually in my pocket, or maybe in the bag.
The hood is on, and the cap is off, as you never know when you might get a shot and removing the lens cap could mean missing it.
At the end of a shoot all caps are back in place though.
The lens on the camera never has the front cap on while it is out of the bag. The lens cap is usually in my pocket, or maybe in the bag.
The hood is on, and the cap is off, as you never know when you might get a shot and removing the lens cap could mean missing it.
At the end of a shoot all caps are back in place though.
Posted 22/03/2010 - 19:54
Link
Mannesty wrote:
Strange question but oddly, when you see promotional images of bags the lenses displayed rarely, if ever, are shown with caps.
Indeed.Strange question but oddly, when you see promotional images of bags the lenses displayed rarely, if ever, are shown with caps.
But lets be honest, is there something in a camera bag that would/could damage your lenses?
The whole padding inside mine bags are soft, no zippers or anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
For long storage all the lens caps or on the lens but when I'm photographing and switching lenses the only cap that gets back on the lens before going in the bag is the rear lens cap and I just "throw" the lens in the big compartment where the camera was so that I can easily grab it again when I want to switch back.
How do you handle your lenses when shooting?
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ