How do handle your lenses when shooting?

aliengrove
Posted 22/03/2010 - 20:00 Link
I use filters and alway put the lens cap back on, except when the lens is on the camera and in use I put the lens cap in my pocket and then can't find it again. I have scratched one filter badly, while bending over with the camera round my neck and scraping it across a rock. OCD has it's benefits you see.
Edited by aliengrove: 22/03/2010 - 20:07
Anvh
Posted 22/03/2010 - 20:07 Link
Aliengrove, that's one reason I always use a hood and it reduces flares as well.

I'm thinking of removing all my lens-caps now, like I said what could hurt a lens in your bag. I'm now protecting the front element against the soft padding of the bag
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
cabstar
Posted 22/03/2010 - 20:36 Link
If I am shooting an interior gig & I know I will be changing lenses, then that lens will be ready under the stage with no caps on & hood on, stood on its hood.

For festivals then the spare lens stays in its bag until needed.

Why can't lens manufactures coat the lenses the same way Apple does with its Iphone???
link
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Edited by cabstar: 22/03/2010 - 20:38
beardedwombat
Posted 22/03/2010 - 20:43 Link
This is an interesting thread. I had never really thought about doing anything other than "capping" all lenses when in the bag but Stefan is right in saying that there is normally nothing in the bag compartments to damage the lens. I suppose we think about collecting dust on the front and rear elements, but this would have to be pretty severe to show up on images. I have previously removed my UV filters as I am sure now that they serve little purpose and always use a hood on any lens in use and will try "Stefanising" my lenses on my next outing. It will certainly save time!
Cheers
Chris
Technoblurb
Posted 22/03/2010 - 20:52 Link
I tend to replace lens caps when they go back in the bag and being a little bit clumsy these days I purchased a Lowpro flipside bag, allowing me to a good soft surface to change lenses without dropping lens or camera.

Graham
Mannesty
Posted 22/03/2010 - 22:53 Link
Anvh wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Strange question but oddly, when you see promotional images of bags the lenses displayed rarely, if ever, are shown with caps.
Indeed.
But lets be honest, is there something in a camera bag that would/could damage your lenses?

The whole padding inside mine bags are soft, no zippers or anything.
I have zips inside all of my bags. With both caps fitted, absolutely nothing can touch the glass.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 22/03/2010 - 22:54
johnriley
Posted 22/03/2010 - 23:02 Link
I would think one of the biggest dangers would be to reach into a bag and put a nice greasy fingerprint right in the centre of a lens.

If you have a routine that never alters, putting a lenscap on is not exactly time consuming.
Best regards, John
pnjmcc
Posted 23/03/2010 - 00:40 Link
I usually put what ever current lens is my favorite on the front before I leave the house and when canging lenses I will swap a common end cap from one to the other. If I have time I will put the front cap on and place it gently in to my camera bag.

But mostly I am trying to be as fast as possible so its rear cap on and in to my pocket.

Pentaxophile wrote:
After using the lens i'll pat each pocket for the front cap, and, not finding it, look in my bag, pat my pockets again, retrace my steps while peering at the ground, and then, after a more thorough rummage, find it has mysteriously reappeared in my pocket.
Too True.
Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Anvh
Posted 23/03/2010 - 00:40 Link
cabstar wrote:
Why can't lens manufactures coat the lenses the same way Apple does with its Iphone???
link
I think you've missed this movie link

beardedwombat wrote:
I have previously removed my UV filters as I am sure now that they serve little purpose and always use a hood on any lens in use and will try "Stefanising" my lenses on my next outing. It will certainly save time!
Chris is that a new word?
Let's see what more we can remove from the lens
Still need to try it out, didn't have the time to go out and shoot today

johnriley wrote:
I would think one of the biggest dangers would be to reach into a bag and put a nice greasy fingerprint right in the centre of a lens.

If you have a routine that never alters, putting a lenscap on is not exactly time consuming.
John you're right about, if you put your cap always at the same spot and can find it easily.
One of my problems is that I use a wrist-strap so I can't let go of the camera easily so I'm juggling with my lenses with one hand.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
ajbets
Posted 23/03/2010 - 13:32 Link
I always put the rear cap on and always try to find time for the front. Very rarely does this not happen.

I bet most people have some kind of UV / protection filter on their lenses anyway, so the idea of leaving caps off is probably not so bad as it sounds.
_________

Plenty of stuff - not enough time....

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo