Hosta and water drops

pete
Posted 25/06/2010 - 22:40 Link
Still using the 28mm lens, I took these of some hosta leaves. I noticed how the water (rain) droplets looked on the leaves earlier in the year so I sprayed them with a sprayer/mister and took these.
C&C welcome.
[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z307/50crates/HostaLeaves.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z307/50crates/HostaLeaf2.jpg[/IMG]
johnriley
Posted 25/06/2010 - 22:50 Link
Have you checked the file size of these images as they are very slow to load?

You're right to use this technique and there would be nothing to stop a photographer of flowers and plants carrying a small water spray just for this purpose. It has been known. If you do though, don't spray leaves that are in the sun. The droplets act as lenses and focus the sunlight, burning the leaves.

I like the idea of what you have done but do wonder if some more interesting plant would not be more deserving of your attention. However, you've made something of the subject that you have and full marks for that.

Carry the spray forwards into the world?
Best regards, John
pete
Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:15 Link
Have you checked the file size of these images as they are very slow to load?
2Mb and 2.9Mb for the original cropped files uploaded to photobucket. They were resized on photobucket prior to uploading to this site so I'm presuming they would be smaller than above. I will check however.
johnriley
Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:38 Link
They only need to be about 200K for the forum and they are quite a bit more than that. It just means it slows down the loading of the images.
Best regards, John
pink
Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:41 Link
I learn this lesson tonight I found a really good spider and web but no water to high light the web so I left it be

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
thoughton
Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:45 Link
Perhaps Photobucket was having a slow moment, the two images are only 160 and 120KB respectively.

I prefer the composition of the first one, although what is that pale green long vertical blob on the right edge of the frame?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Thordell
Posted 26/06/2010 - 07:52 Link
Prefer the 1st and find the leaf at the top well worthy of attention the water drops and the ribbing make, for me a pleasing image, do think the rest of the shot superfluous to requirements. would like a little more space above the pleasing whole leaf and perhaps should you wish a spot of editing could push the surrounding leaves into the background a bit.

Sorry not qualified to give any technical CC I can only comment on a images impression on me.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
pink
Posted 26/06/2010 - 08:52 Link
I'm of the opinion the second image is the better one out for the two images however the subject is not in focus and the image is not really stimulating as John said a better subject would have been better.

The viewpoint of the shot, I think is spot on for this subject
You have some edges on the leaf that is blown out and this would suggest the image is over exposed.

What time of day was this shot taken ? Am I accurate in saying the sun was to your right?

Hope this helps you out peter and explains my thoughts on this image my reply is not intended to offend they are purely my observation

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Edited by pink: 26/06/2010 - 08:53

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo