Histogram

johnboy-22
Posted 14/04/2012 - 22:24 Link
On another post one person said that to do any good you had to look at all 3 colours separately. I have done this and noticed that for example all the blue was way to the right compared to red and green. How would you get the blue only to move to the left on a K5.
Pentax K5, Kx, DA15 ltd,18-135, 18-55, 50-200, M100 f4 macro, M135 f3.5 A28 F2.5
johnriley
Posted 14/04/2012 - 23:20 Link
If you do that you will be artificially altering the relationship between the RGB cnannels and you may well not get what you expect. There are reasons for looking at three channels separately, but generally looking at the overall histogram is all we need to do.
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 15/04/2012 - 08:50 Link
Just look at the 3 separate channels to make sure that none of them are clipped/overexposed. They only line up in the left/right direction on a grey subject. If you have a lot of light blue it will be to the right.

The combined (white) histogram is misleading as far as exposure is concerned..... it's explained on the web somewhere, but I haven't bookmarked it.

EDIT: If you search Google loads of sites deal with it.
I can't see the one I looked at, but this one seems to
explain it and there seems to be a discussion below:

link

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 15/04/2012 - 09:00
Algernon
Posted 15/04/2012 - 10:21 Link
I should have added to the above, that I find the Highlight/Shadow warnings much more useful than the histograms, particularly for whites that would be blown on swans etc.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
AnthonyB
Posted 15/04/2012 - 10:34 Link
I'm slighty confused, perhaps someone here can help me understand more clearly. I know this is about stills but with digital stills we are arguably dealing with something more akin to a video signal than an exposed "picture". We're all shooting video nowadays even when we take stills. Reading the flickr discussion linked above I'm a bit confused and slightly skeptical that some of the points made are nonsense. If we take digital stills as being like individual high res video frames (which is essentially what they are) then the detail and "resolution" comes from the luminance signal. Individual chroma signals will naturally be relatively low res compared to Luminance. Worrying overly about R, G or B clipping individually is potentially quite silly. Just because red is clipping DOES NOT automatically mean there'll be "no detail" in the reds/flesh tones because the green and blue contribute to the luminance signal and just because red clipped is not an automatic indication that "all detail is lost". The majority of the luminance signal comes from green, so if I was going to look at anything to judge detail and the danger of losing it, it'd be the green signal. Besides which, histograms are a cheap and nasty way of monitoring the "engineering quality" of your signal. OK for a rough guide but no good for proper evaluation. What we really need to see is a waveform. Then exposure and contrast ratio really could be judged and it'd be a genuine help. Histograms are as potentially misleading as they are useful IMHO.
K-5, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL WR, M 1:2.8 28mm, M 1:1.7 50mm, M 1:3.5 135mm.
Lucian
Posted 15/04/2012 - 10:44 Link
To JohnBoy, you may be interested in the UniWB white balance then.

A very good read about the RGB histogram (and why is slightly misleading) is at:

http://www.libraw.org/articles/white-balance-in-digital-cameras.html

How to get the maximum signal (or minimum channels noise) from using UniWB is explained at:

http://www.libraw.org/articles/magenta-filters-on-digicam.html.

How to set UniWb on your Pentax camera, I forgot to be honest. It could be similar to this technique though: http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm, if not Google is your best friend.

Lucian.
judderman62
Posted 15/04/2012 - 11:03 Link
cracking link that Algi - nice one
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Edited by judderman62: 15/04/2012 - 11:03
Leevon
Posted 15/04/2012 - 16:42 Link
The combined (white) histogram is misleading as far as exposure is concerned..... it's explained on the web somewhere, but I haven't bookmarked it. Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo