High street K10D advice

George Lazarette
Posted 18/01/2007 - 00:20 Link
I suspect the worst Jessops staff are in London. In provincial stores they probably retain staff much longer, and longer-standing staff are likely to be more knowledgeable and more dedicated.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 18/01/2007 - 08:06 Link
There are a high proportion of enthusiastic amateur photographers, fledgling wedding photographers, University students on long local courses, all sorts of intelligent people. Some know a lot about photography, some very little, but then again some customers won't know much either!

If you think of a chain like Jessops as 300 different shops, then it's not surprising that some will excel and some will not. If they all had a different name we wouldn't bat an eyelid at the ones that fail, nor would we tar them all with the same brush.
Best regards, John
justgetoutandride
Posted 31/01/2007 - 03:01 Link
I popped into Jessops in Carmarthen just on the off chance to ask if I could see the K10, they didn't have any in stock but would order one for me, no obligation to buy, just so I could handle it. Compared to the
sony there was no competition.

I took along a copy of the offer from an online camera store to see if they could price match. they told me they dont do that anymore but did reduce the price of the camera via 'managers special'.

I bought the camera and kit lenses and a few other bits and pieces from them as they had been so helpful, and also because i had the camera in my hand and didn't want to give it back.
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
David Benson
Posted 01/02/2007 - 11:21 Link
The problem here is the power of the brand over the reailers. I have been in the retail business for over twenty five years now, jewellery and watches not photographic. I was talking to the manager of one of the last independant photographic retailers in this area and he told me that now Cannon were demanding that they spend a minimum amount with them a year or loose the brand. The could not hope to meet this demand so would not be selling the brand in the future. Cannon will also put pressure on the larger retailers by offering better discounts for larger orders so the retailers put pressure on their staff to sell them. Companies may offer inducements to the staff in the shops to sell their products such as gifts such as short holidays etc. i.e. meet the targets. The big watch brands operate the same way and offer the best rewards to the larger retailers. Cannon are now almost at a point that they could almost operate with any high street retailers we may be seeing the future.

David Benson
Mongoose
Posted 01/02/2007 - 11:30 Link
Quote:
The problem here is the power of the brand over the reailers. I have been in the retail business for over twenty five years now, jewellery and watches not photographic. I was talking to the manager of one of the last independant photographic retailers in this area and he told me that now Cannon were demanding that they spend a minimum amount with them a year or loose the brand. The could not hope to meet this demand so would not be selling the brand in the future. Cannon will also put pressure on the larger retailers by offering better discounts for larger orders so the retailers put pressure on their staff to sell them. Companies may offer inducements to the staff in the shops to sell their products such as gifts such as short holidays etc. i.e. meet the targets. The big watch brands operate the same way and offer the best rewards to the larger retailers. Cannon are now almost at a point that they could almost operate with any high street retailers we may be seeing the future.

David Benson
when Intel tried to strongarm motherboard manufacturers into not supporting the AMD Athlon they got sued, a lot. I think M$ tried it on at one point with companies who made Linux PCs. They got sued too. I don't understand why the camera industry seems to be immune from being done over under anti-competititive practices laws.
Ammonyte
Posted 01/02/2007 - 11:32 Link
Probably beacuse non of the retailers could afford to start a fight them.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
David Benson
Posted 01/02/2007 - 11:51 Link
Another intresting point from a retailers perspective are the guarantees issued with cameras. Is now EEC law that all purchasers of products such as cameras get a TWO YEAR guarantee this is the retailers responsibility. Now all the watch companies I know of both Swiss and Japenese give a two year guarantee with each product that is a manufactures guarantee. Now ask a member os staff in camera shops of electrical retailers and I have done this on a number of occassions recently and they will usually insist that there is only a one year guarantee. Now is this ignorance or a management policy to decieve I dont know but all of you who have purchased a camera recently hang on to your retailres reciept as well as the standard manufactures warranty.
LiamD
Posted 01/02/2007 - 13:47 Link
Hi,

this could be very useful info..

http://money.guardian.co.uk/howtocomplain/story/0,,1738830,00.html

It states that you can, in some circumstances, expect recompense for faulty goods up to six years after purchase. I haven't the time to check further now, but i will later on.

Cheers

Liam
Liam


"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo