Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Hi from Oxfordshire

parigby
Posted 08/06/2011 - 18:52 Link
Hi folks,

Have been skulking in the background for a few weeks and thought it was about time l stuck my head above the parapet.

Don't want this to sound condescending, but l bought the silver K5 and two kit lenses as a backup for those occasions when my Leica M8 just wouldn't do the business. So far l have been very, very impressed with the K5, especially it's low light performance, as l never use flash. The kit lenses are the 18-55 and the 50-200, and l have to admit do a fine job, although l am just a little bit critical as to the sharpness of the 50-200 - but there again when you look at the price of the lens, what on earth did l expect.

I have on order the 43mm Limited, again because with a past Nikon kit l did take a lot of images in the 60mm area, and for me it works.

What l am now looking seriously at is the telephoto end of the Pentax market. Do l go 200mm prime or 300 prime. I like the 200mm because of the f2.8, but am l going to find that l miss the extra reach of the 300mm. The loss of a stop or so can easily be corrected with the K5's capability, but am l going to find the extra weight and length of lens a problem. Bear in mind that l am used to Leica lenses here, hence the preference for primes.

Anyway here l am, confusions and all, but at least l feel at home in a nice relatively small family group of enthusiasts.

regards ........... philip
pianoman
Posted 08/06/2011 - 18:59 Link
Hi Philip and a warm welcome look foward to seeing your work I have the 200 and 300 I love them both but for me it will be the 300 with my K5 but Im a novice so will just stick with the handshake and enjoy it here
All the best

David
Edited by pianoman: 08/06/2011 - 18:59
tomkeet
Posted 08/06/2011 - 19:44 Link
Hi and welcome.
Philip the DA 300 is a very fine lens.
Regards
Tom

K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301
johnwhit
Posted 08/06/2011 - 20:03 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi and welcome. If you like primes I think you're going to like owning a Pentax. I have both the DA*200 and DA*300, both fine lenses, I'd advise going to a Pentax Pro dealer such as SRS and trying them for size and weight. The 300 does have a sturdy tripod collar which the 200 lacks, but TBH I've never missed it on the 200.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Edited by johnwhit: 08/06/2011 - 20:19
i-Berg
Posted 09/06/2011 - 10:38 Link
G'day and welcome Phil - the primes are an excellent choice IMO.
Gwyn
Posted 09/06/2011 - 10:42 Link
Welcome Phil. Have fun with the K-5. And the Leica too.

I lived in Oxfordshire before moving to the Netherlands.
ronniemac
Posted 21/06/2011 - 20:37 Link
Hi Philip

I just joined and the first thing I see is someone from Oxfordshire. Hope you find a long lens to your liking, sorry I can't advise, I am a rank amateur and still working with the M series primes - until funds permit something newer and better.
Edited by ronniemac: 21/06/2011 - 20:38
George Lazarette
Posted 21/06/2011 - 20:43 Link
parigby wrote:

I have on order the 43mm Limited, again because with a past Nikon kit l did take a lot of images in the 60mm area, and for me it works.

regards ........... philip

When this lens first came out, it was tested against a Summicron and the then current Nikon 50mm 1:1.4, and came out on top.

So you needn't feel you are stepping down.

It'll be very interesting to hear what you think of it. Please report back.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
parigby
Posted 22/06/2011 - 08:45 Link
Hi George,

The 43 limited arrived a couple of days or so ago, but as yet l have to really put it through it's paces. Popped out for half hour or so yesterday and came back with a dozen images, not the best composure wise, but something to let me see what the lens can do.As far as sharpness is concerned, l have no complaints whatsoever right across the range.

Colour rendition, not as good as my Leica lenses, but that could very well be down to the fact that l am still tweaking the settings in the K5, especially WB, so it is probably a little unfair to judge at this stage.

So far l am very impressed with build quality, feel and operation in conjunction with the K5. I know it may sound a little odd, but it's as if Pentax specifically decided to design the K5 to go with the Limited lenses. Certainly the K5 and the 43mm seem destined to be together.

I will have a far better opportunity to judge the set up in three weeks time, when l go on a cruise to Norway. I intend to take the two kit lenses and the 43mm, but with the expressed intention of taking the vast majority of my shots with the 43mm. I will let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, got to start saving the pennies for the next lens in line, the 77mm.

regards ......... philip
George Lazarette
Posted 22/06/2011 - 17:10 Link
parigby wrote:

In the meantime, got to start saving the pennies for the next lens in line, the 77mm.
regards ......... philip

That's the jewel in the crown.

Have a great trip.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.