Hey all

Job120

Link Posted 27/06/2017 - 03:12
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the world of Pentax cameras after just picking up a beautiful Pentax 645.

Been in to photography for a long time and have mainly used Polaroid along with other quirky caermas such as the Holga, Lomogrpahy Spinner 360 and various 35mm cameras.
Looking to build my 645 kit and start taking more professional looking pictures, so any tips welcome!

Thanks for looking - J

pschlute

Link Posted 27/06/2017 - 07:54
Hi and welcome. No experience of anything larger than 35mm format I am afraid. Is it a digital 645 ?
Peter

My Flickr page

AndrewA

Link Posted 27/06/2017 - 08:35
Hello and Welcome!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

Job120

Link Posted 27/06/2017 - 18:53
pschlute wrote:
Hi and welcome. No experience of anything larger than 35mm format I am afraid. Is it a digital 645 ?

Hey there

It's the original 120 film version.
I do love 120 film, it was great fun in my Holga. Hopefully his camera will give my pictures a more professional look!

ronniemac

Link Posted 27/06/2017 - 20:46
I have some limited experience with the 645, mine was the N version and I liked it very much.

My favourite lens was the 35mm - fantastic for landscapes but a little pricey. (the 45 was a disappointment - soft and maybe best avoided). You've probably got the standard 75 which is a fine lens.

If you like taking macro the 120mm is a must, for portraits the 150mm. Both of my versions of these were autofocus and although I believe the FA 120 has the same optical formula, the FA 150 was an entirely different lens and is an excellent lens for portrait. Of course, autofocus lenses work perfectly as manual focus as well.

Just writing the above does make me rather wistful, but my consolation was that I part exchanged the kit for K-1 and lenses from SRS - otherwise I would not have parted with it.

Enjoy the 645 experience!

PS - Lots of good information on this forums medium format pages
Last Edited by ronniemac on 27/06/2017 - 20:48

Helpful

Job120

Link Posted 28/06/2017 - 00:41
ronniemac wrote:
I have some limited experience with the 645, mine was the N version and I liked it very much.

My favourite lens was the 35mm - fantastic for landscapes but a little pricey. (the 45 was a disappointment - soft and maybe best avoided). You've probably got the standard 75 which is a fine lens.

If you like taking macro the 120mm is a must, for portraits the 150mm. Both of my versions of these were autofocus and although I believe the FA 120 has the same optical formula, the FA 150 was an entirely different lens and is an excellent lens for portrait. Of course, autofocus lenses work perfectly as manual focus as well.

Just writing the above does make me rather wistful, but my consolation was that I part exchanged the kit for K-1 and lenses from SRS - otherwise I would not have parted with it.

Enjoy the 645 experience!

PS - Lots of good information on this forums medium format pages

Hey Ronniemac,

Thanks for the message!!
I would really love a 35mm, I've been keeping an eye out on eBay but as you said, they're damn expensive!!!
I'll definitely have a look at the 150mm lens too, would be nice to have it as an option.

Will have a look through the forum link you posted too, all tips are very welcome and thanks for taking the time to welcome me!!

All the best - J
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.