Help with sharpness please
Posted 25/08/2009 - 09:51
Link
piotro wrote:
Bear in mind that there is one more important factor (two really - focal length as well) when estimating how wide DOF will be - distance from the subject, based on the first example, with 45cm from the object even changing to f/22 will not help much using 105mm lens (means DOF still will be too shallow to have whole flower in focus).
You may check it by using some DOF calculators available around, some example one here:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Admit I did not use a chart but with the object only a little over a cm I thought that f5 at .5 mtr would be fine - goes to show what little use thought is, better as you say to use a chart, will try to find one, thanks.Bear in mind that there is one more important factor (two really - focal length as well) when estimating how wide DOF will be - distance from the subject, based on the first example, with 45cm from the object even changing to f/22 will not help much using 105mm lens (means DOF still will be too shallow to have whole flower in focus).
You may check it by using some DOF calculators available around, some example one here:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
PS to Steve Many thanks.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


995 posts
19 years
Goldsithney,
West Cornwall,
UK
Thank you both, I was surprised how narrow the DOF was, I choose f5 because I did not want the kitchen cupboards in focus (not pretty) The dark shadow is a part of the bloom that is dark green, however I will try again with a smaller aperture and if I have to use a small lamp so be it. Would take it outside but the thing is so small that the slightest wind will move it.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html#calc
Steve