Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Help identifying fungi please

tyronet2000
Posted 18/06/2015 - 16:33 Link
Saw this growing on a felled tree trunk and was wondering what it is called?

Comment Image
Regards
Stan

PPG
alfpics
Posted 18/06/2015 - 16:50 Link
Ah - looks like the 'lesser-spotted orange squidgy lump fungus' to me Stan - in other words I haven't a clue!
Andy
tyronet2000
Posted 18/06/2015 - 17:09 Link
alfpics wrote:
Ah - looks like the 'lesser-spotted orange squidgy lump fungus' to me Stan - in other words I haven't a clue!

Ha Ha Ha a rose by any other name
Regards
Stan

PPG
Algernon
Posted 18/06/2015 - 17:17 Link
Does it taste like Maple Syrup
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 18/06/2015 - 17:18
alfpics
Posted 18/06/2015 - 18:09 Link
On a more serious note it might be a Laetiporus sulphureus but depends on which image you look at, or a yellow brain fungus. However am sure someone more knowledgeable will come up with the real ID!
Andy
wvbarnes
Posted 18/06/2015 - 18:13 Link
Very like that foam from a can you can use round holes in the wall Nicely photographed, by the way.
tyronet2000
Posted 18/06/2015 - 21:25 Link
Algernon wrote:
Does it taste like Maple Syrup

I'll get a sample for you to try Algi then you can post your findings on here, perhaps starting a new thread "Favorite Mushroom Recipes"
Regards
Stan

PPG
tyronet2000
Posted 18/06/2015 - 21:29 Link
alfpics wrote:
On a more serious note it might be a Laetiporus sulphureus but depends on which image you look at, or a yellow brain fungus. However am sure someone more knowledgeable will come up with the real ID!

I hope it's called something like former name. I have an image I'll put in a competition as I love to hear the judges pronounce these weird names
Regards
Stan

PPG
cardiffgareth
Posted 18/06/2015 - 21:35 Link
Looks like expanding foam to me !
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Dingo
Posted 19/06/2015 - 03:46 Link
alfpics wrote:

Could be we have a Winner

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/66614153
vic cross
Posted 19/06/2015 - 07:12 - Helpful Comment Link
Its common name is. Chicken of the woods. English version of its Latin name is Sulpher Polypor. Very nice eating. I have a tree in my garden that produces it every 2/3 years if I'm lucky. This year however I found a tree by our local river with masses of it. The soft bit at the outer edges you can fry for breakfast but the more solid parts you can put in casseroles, stews, and curries, and it just has the texture and taste of chicken. When you first cut it from the tree wash it cut it into bite size pieces then blanch it for 5 mins. in boiling water, dry it off then you can freeze it. It makes really good eating.
CHEERS Vic.
Dingo wrote:
alfpics wrote:

Could be we have a Winner

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/66614153

Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
vic cross
Posted 19/06/2015 - 07:16 Link
P.S. If it grows on a yew tree then you have to be a little careful to make sure there are no bits of the tree embedded in it as the yew tree is poison. Otherwise happy eating.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
tyronet2000
Posted 19/06/2015 - 08:13 Link
Thanks for the information Vic. It's also answered Algi's post as to what it tastes like. I've no idea what the tree trunk was that I found it growing on. As regards edible fungi I leave that to the experts and just buy mine from the supermarket

PS how you getting on with the K-3
Regards
Stan

PPG
vic cross
Posted 19/06/2015 - 08:38 Link
Mornin' Stan. Do you mean my K3 OR my K3ii ? I have both now With grips. (My hands are like baby steam shovels) I've just done a few experimental shots with the K3ii. More or less just playing with it. Nothing of any merit. Now deleted. I tried the pixel shake on a travel blanket. On and off. The actual weave showed up a lot more with it on. I saw this comparison test somewhere and tried it for myself. It really works. It should be great for super sharp landscapes. I hope to try out the follow focus in the next two weeks as I'll be on a cruise around the UK with stops in the Western isles. The Orkneys, and the Shetlands. So the birds and any other wildlife I can see will be on my must have list. My wife being the gardener means we'll be visiting castles and gardens so as a good husband I'll been taking photos of flowers etc. for her. (and me). If I get anything half decent I'll put some up for viewing. CHEERS Vic.
tyronet2000
Posted 19/06/2015 - 09:08 Link
Oops Yes I meant the K-3II Vic. I do like the grip on my K-5IIs although I'm getting along with the K-S2 ok as well. I don't take too much notice of reviews and prefer to read what everyday users think of what they are using. Hope you get some good shots on your cruise and share some on here
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.