Hello from Skye

ChrisR

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 14:56
propwash wrote:
Why is nothing ever simple??? It's Amazon that I ordered the camera from and since ordering it last week it's gone down in price by £48! I've not even opened the box yet because I'm away from home so I chanced my hand and emailed them to see if they'll give me a voucher for the difference or I'll just return it for a refund then re-order it and save myself nearly 50 quid.

Nope, they won't give me the voucher (not that they're obliged to) but they're happy for me to send it back and refund me then for me to buy it back cheaper. This is what happens when you deal with robots and not humans!

I have given up being concerned about price drops, especially on electrical/electronic equipment.
I think you just have to decide when the price is acceptable to you and purchase, and if you are happy with your purchase, and it does what you want, just enjoy.

No, I don’t have money to burn, far from it, but I am afraid that’s the way of life these days, and I am old enough to remember, retail price maintenance and purchase tax. Then Mr average, would not have been able to afford a high end camera.
It was an offence for a retail outlet to give a discount, and you knew they had a minimum mark up of thirty three and a third. The only thing was, you knew that the price for product (x), would be the same country wide. Dealer competition was created by customer service.

Enjoy your new camera.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

propwash

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 16:15
Well I am very tempted just to keep it because I want to play with it, but I'm basically throwing away 50 quid just so I can have a new toy that I've managed to live this far without. I hate to think of myself as a consumer who can't live without the fanciest gadgets so the anti-consumerism rebel in me is making a stand! (A bit late when I've shelled out a grand on a small box of electronics and glass...)

If I send it back and wait a week for its replacement then I'll buy a remote shutter release off Amazon with the cash and it'll be much the same as them giving me a voucher but with more Royal Mail involvement

Hmm, now reading that over it seems like a lot of hassle so maybe I will just take the easy option and open the box when I get home. I'd easily spend the 50 quid on a night in the pub anyway!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 18:15
Think of it this way. If you'd bought it last year, you'd have spent well over three hundred more! Returning it sounds a lot of hassle and you presumably will need to pay postage etc.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

propwash

Link Posted 13/09/2011 - 06:45
Now that I've slept on it I think I'll just keep it, can't be bothered with the hassle plus I'm itching to get my hands on it! Thanks folks

ChrisR

Link Posted 13/09/2011 - 11:14
propwash wrote:
Now that I've slept on it I think I'll just keep it, can't be bothered with the hassle plus I'm itching to get my hands on it! Thanks folks

Great decision, just use it and enjoy, forget about the price.

As Del Boy would say, “you know it makes sense.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

i-Berg

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 10:58
G'day and welcome. It's nearly prop-washing season here, along with all the leading edges...
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Stuey

Link Posted 21/09/2011 - 21:34
Welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

ronniemac

Link Posted 22/09/2011 - 03:09
Welcome to the forum, Dave. I'm from Morar (by Mallaig) originally. I wonder if Pentax have the courage to test weatherproofing in the NW Highlands and Islands! Look forward to some lovely photos of your land and sea scapes, my favourite is Loch Scavaig, (where my great grandfather lost his trading schooner many moons ago), and of course the Quiraing.
Ronnie

George Lazarette

Link Posted 22/09/2011 - 08:57
propwash wrote:

Good. People who send things back at the drop of a hat put up prices for the rest of us. Having to recycle returns is very costly for suppliers, and it's one of the reasons that prices here are higher than in some other countries.

I think the Distance Selling Regulations are misconceived and generally bad for consumers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 22/09/2011 - 08:58

propwash

Link Posted 22/09/2011 - 10:32
I've been playing with my camera for nearly a week now and I'm very happy with it, no photos worth posting yet though. The weather is horrendous here just now and the weather proofing would well and truly be getting a test! I took some shots the other day outside and the clouds looked pretty washed out, would using my grey graduated filter from my 35mm SLR gear (not an ND filter) be of any use with a DSLR, or is this something I'd be better doing in photoshop? Photoshop is completely new to me and I'll be starting from scratch using it, plus it's on my old and very slow windows laptop that is nothing but a pain to use!

Ronnie- Hello, very interesting about your great grandfather. Do you have anymore information on his ship? I used to be a scallop diver and I've found a few old timbers here and there round Skye. Loch Scavaig is one place I've not dived though so wouldn't have been near anything that might remain of his wreck.

JudithAnn

Link Posted 03/10/2011 - 03:53
Welcome and enjoy the forum!

Regards:
JA
https://www.jastandringphotos.com
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.