HDR for high realism (non creative) effect

McGregNi

Link Posted 09/09/2012 - 14:09
Heres a couple of examples of my recent HDR work using Photomatix Pro 4. The subject matter is only of importance in relation to the high contrast that the scenes presented, and in both it was impossible to capture 'what the eye saw' in a single image.

In both the brightness range between extreme highlights (white clouds / brightest foliage) and darkest shadows was many stops beyond the camera's ability, but my own eyes could see all the detail at once. So I want to recreate that realistic 'as the eye can see it' effect.

Any thoughts on the success in this or otherwise much appreciated. All the RAW processing was done in Photomatix on automatic settings, including noise reduction, CA correction, reducing ghosting and aligning.Then adjustments made using the details enhancer controls, tone compressor function.

Each image is a processing of 5 individual bracketed shots on the K7 set to one push bracketing, spaced 1.5 stops apart, handheld. Final outputting to 8bit in PS Elements 8 and some selective work in the shadow areas to remove blue casts.

My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/09/2012 - 15:34
Hi Nigel, the way you have used HDR here is similar to the way I use it - not for effect, but to increase the dynamic range whilst maintaining realism. Although the HDR effect in your images is toned down a bit, I think it's still a little strong to be perfectly natural, but I agree with what you are saying to large degree.

If you want more natural looking shots, then the 'Fusion' setting is the one to go for, not the detail enhancer / tonemapping settings. It's great to have a play with Photomatix and learn how different settings affect the final image.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 09/09/2012 - 15:36

McGregNi

Link Posted 09/09/2012 - 15:59
Thanks David - I did try a 'fusion' process on the 2nd image, and it wasn't successful. It was impossible to pull the shadows up sufficiently, and there was bad blue fringing in the upper parts of the trees (presumable where the sky was bleeding through in the mix of images), and there is no way to control this.

Ultimately it wasn't as flexible as the tone mapping controls.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.