Having a crack at star swirl

Spad

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 13:07
Last night I decided to have a shot at doing a start swirl. Did not hit Polaris as there was cloud so tried something else.

Sigma 20mm EX, f1.7 at 100iso with 30sec exposure and was 30 exposures stacked. May try again tonight if the weather is clear.

At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....

HarisF1

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 13:59
Good shot, interesting potential there.

Is there a setting in the camera that allows this type of shot? A bit like the 'fake' long exposures that are possible with interval shooting.
All the gear with no idea

Spad

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 15:29
HarisF1 wrote:
Good shot, interesting potential there.

Is there a setting in the camera that allows this type of shot? A bit like the 'fake' long exposures that are possible with interval shooting.

It's a stack, it is similar to multiexposure but you're not limited to how many exposures you can do. On the K5 & K5 II, i am limited to 9. You then use either Photoshop or Lightroom. You take say, 30 plus exposures and then use either of the above (PS tends to be better at it) to stack all the images in to one image. If you look closely at the image you'll see that the stars are made up of small trails. Then once stacked they create the above effect.

The above image looks like multiexposure but it is in fact a stack.

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 05/08/2022 - 15:32

loadoftripe

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 15:57
Good picture and inspiring, I shall have to get around to trying one, given a pass first of course from SWMBO.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 16:19
Never tried it myself, I'm always impressed by people who make the effort to photograph the cosmos. So the photo gets a . (Would have been if the road hadn't been in the shot).

Interesting to see different different colours among the trails. Is that due to the stars themselves being different colours (white dwarfs, red giants etc.) or an artefact of the camera and processing?

loadoftripe wrote:
I shall have to get around to trying one, given a pass first of course from SWMBO.

Invite SWMBO along - romantic walk in the twilight, ask her which patch of sky is her favourite, then photograph its star trails 'just for her'. What girl could resist??

Steve

loadoftripe

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 16:30
loadoftripe wrote:
I shall have to get around to trying one, given a pass first of course from SWMBO.

Invite SWMBO along - romantic walk in the twilight, ask her which patch of sky is her favourite, then photograph its star trails 'just for her'. What girl could resist??

Steve[/quote]

Good one!. However....first and last attempt at night sky shooting (other than the garden) with the 'boss' we were in the country side well away from city light pollution, as I had explained to her. Dark narrow country lane the car semi hidden in a tractor gate turning area, pretty much pitch black. Farmer's 4 by 4 goes by, then slowly reverses. Window down he pulls alongside with his wife in the passenger seat, and says ....
"and what are you two up to?" in a sardonic monotone almost......
Haha luckily I had the tripod setup as I explained......wife totally embarrassed....blurts out "this is my husband" WTF.....

Spad

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 16:38
I feel sorry for you two.... mine doesnt live with me and works till 11pm'ish!!! So i can bugger off and do as i please...

I have had plenty of nosey farmers!!!! and others who say "what you doing?"... i have to stand on the urge to go in to a sargasm!!

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 05/08/2022 - 16:39

Spad

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 23:58
Lubbyman wrote:
Interesting to see different different colours among the trails. Is that due to the stars themselves being different colours (white dwarfs, red giants etc.)

The stars are actually all different colours.... like you said red giants, red dwarf... etc

If you look closely at this image you can see several star colours

Which exploded....

davidwozhere

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 00:25
What other light was available there? The road and trees look as if it were daytime.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Spad

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 01:16
I was light painting them with my head torch to make them part of the image.

Which exploded....

Spad

Link Posted 07/08/2022 - 16:39
Had another crack at it last night!

Which exploded....
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.