Have You Converted Anyone?

judderman62

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 15:40
that reminds me of monty python's life of brian:

Brian: You are all individuals
Crowd (in unison): Yes we are all individuals
Lone man in corwd: I'm not

if that isn't comedy genius I don't know what is.

Oh yes as I use both Canon and Pentax systems do I have to castigate myself, mock myself, belittle myself and have an inferiority complex on alternate days ?

On Canon days should I sneeringly (and quite childishly) refer to those that have not seen salvation and moved to Canon refer to the non believers as the Olymtax crowd ? or the Penpus folk.

Why not just enjoy the kit you use, whatever creed colour, brand, sexual orientation, and go out and take pictures ? Why not embrace the heathens that dare use a different brand to the one you slavishly worship and celebrate your shared beliefs in the good of photography.

We will now sing hymn 634 ... all things bright and beautiful.

Here endeth the sermon
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

steven9761

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:35
Judderman - that post reminded me of Jocky Wilson's funeral service recently. It was a humanist service, and Jocky's friend and MC, Tony Green turned to the assembled mourners and said "let us all sing Hymn number ONNNNE-HUUUUUNNNDRED AND EEEEIIGGGGHTTTTTYY!!".

George Lazarette

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:46
Ah, 180. That well known hymn. In case you don't know the words:

Hymn 180. युवो रजांसि सुयमासो अश्वा रथो यद वां पर्यर्णांसिदियत | हिरण्यया वां पवयह परुषायन मध्वः ...

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

steven9761

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 16:50
George Lazarette wrote:
Ah, 180. That well known hymn. In case you don't know the words:

Hymn 180. युवो रजांसि सुयमासो अश्वा रथो यद वां पर्यर्णांसिदियत | हिरण्यया वां पवयह परुषायन मध्वः ...

G

"Hounslow, Hounslow - that's the place for me" is not a hymn, George - it's a football chant!

tyronet2000

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:02
I'm unique, just like everyone else
Regards
Stan

PPG

tyronet2000

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:06
steven9761 wrote:
Judderman - that post reminded me of Jocky Wilson's funeral service recently. It was a humanist service, and Jocky's friend and MC, Tony Green turned to the assembled mourners and said "let us all sing Hymn number ONNNNE-HUUUUUNNNDRED AND EEEEIIGGGGHTTTTTYY!!".

Being hard of hearing I thought my wife said my brother in law was having a humourous funeral, my wife was horrified when the Lucky the Clown outfit arrived from the hire shop
Regards
Stan

PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 17:13
Back on topic please....
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 07/04/2012 - 00:33
johnriley wrote:
Using camera phones and compact cameras is all well and good, but it's best for social and spontaneous photography.

Making quality images that stand up as images is something else entirely, and for that we really need a DSLR.

The right tool for the right job.

Complete Rubbish John! The merits of an image has nothing whatsoever to do with the machine it was captured with. There's been some fantas5tic images taken on the most crappiest of cameras and some the most soul-less dross captured upon very expensive DSLRs.

I can even give you an example. I posted some pics elsewhere where all but one were taken with my K-5, the other with my little Sony TX-5 compact. I didn't say which was which.

The favourite image unanimously was the one taken with the Sony.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 07/04/2012 - 00:36
cabstar wrote:
Why is there this need to convert anyone to anything, you buy a product, it either works for you or it doesn't.

I never understand why people want other people to be teh same as them, be an individual, it's more fun

it's a good point.

I suppose there is the view that the better commercially the brand we use does than the better products that brand can afford to develop. some of us might worry our brand will go bust.

But other than that a camera brand isn't a religious cult so I agree, why the need to convert anyone
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

K10D

Link Posted 07/04/2012 - 00:57
Use the kit that gives the results you require, even a bonus if it instils confidence in its use.

I've said it at least twice before, the IQ of Pentax jpg's straight from the camera have yet to be bettered, IMO. A very close second to Pentax is the X100. Even the IQ of the original Konica Minolta DSLR's are very good, Sony took the life of of them.

Since this post started, I have actually recommended a Kr to a work colleague who is looking to buy his first DSLR, so no conversion.

Best regards

tyronet2000

Link Posted 07/04/2012 - 07:19
Converted the wife from an old sony 4mp to a shiny new Lumix. I kept the pentax rs1000 and the rx18 for myself as pics are postable on here Without any artistic talent I doubt my images would look any better even with the most expensive kit, but I do get lucky sometimes and people say nice things about some of them therefore one satisfied pentax user.
Regards
Stan

PPG

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 08/04/2012 - 13:12
Converting my girlfriends 8 year old next weekend!
Shiny *istDS all kitted out and raring to go when we arrive at the Dunlop Touring Car Championships at Donington on Saturday!!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Conjurana

Link Posted 10/04/2012 - 21:46
Hi guys i am a newbie to this site forum...but an old time Pentax user more than 15 yrs...was shooting profesionaly, freelancing for three news paper agents... now only enjoying the outdoor life with my new K-5.....
i still use my trusty old *ist D the first ever digital camera...before that i have the K1000,Mn-5,and the Z-1P....all still in workimg condition.

Soon i will be entering competions on this site...watch out i,m in for the kill ...just kidding.

Conjurana
Last Edited by Conjurana on 10/04/2012 - 21:51

AnthonyB

Link Posted 10/04/2012 - 22:44
I don't think it would be possible to convert anyone I know. I took my K-5 into work at Granada Studios the other day to get a few shots for my website. Stood behind my ped with the Pentax strap around my neck and it caused quite a stir. "What is it?.... Oh Pentax!! Do they still make cameras? Is it film or digital? Is it full frame?" etc. etc.

It was quite funny really. Nobody seems to realise that Pentax still make cameras. Media types are generally terrible Canon snobs. If it ain't a 5D it ain't worth bothering with. They were impressed with it though. Everyone who handled it said positive things about the build quality, proofing and nifty size. I said to them that in my opinion for the money (at that price point) it's the best on the market and nobody scoffed or disagreed.

Pentax really need to get their marketing act together and get themselves out there bashing the drum in the marketplace.

Bought my sister a Pentax compact for Xmas which she loves. My conversion to Pentax from Lumix is spreading through the family

After only just over a month since I converted I'm really happy. I love my K-5 and the only tricky thing is resisting the temptation to buy more primes. I refuse to buy DA lenses though because I really hope they bring out a FF model and I wanna be able to use my existing glass if they do.
K-5, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL WR, M 1:2.8 28mm, M 1:1.7 50mm, M 1:3.5 135mm.

K10D

Link Posted 13/04/2012 - 01:41
K10D wrote:
Since this post started, I have actually recommended a Kr to a work colleague who is looking to buy his first DSLR, so no conversion.

Best regards

The work colleague gets his Kr twin lens kit today. He is quite excited about getting his first DLSR, itís the 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit.

Best regards
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.