Have You Converted Anyone?

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 22:12
Not quite "converted" but helped with purchasing their first DSLR
Both my parents got Samsung GX-1s (aka *istDS2) on my advice, as they were a bargain at the time (a mere 250) However my mother could not get to grips with a DSLR and ended up with a Fuji S series instead. Now however, she has got A Fuji HS20 as she wanted more control (it takes time with my mother) In the meantime, I am the keeper of her GX-1s until she is ready again. My dad? well I does use it from time to time, but ultimately, he shoots video when they are on holiday. I am sure if he gave it a dust down, and wanted stills, it will be used more.
A colleague at work wanted advice, and ultimately got the K200D. Now he has that, the grip, Tamrons 10-24 and 70-300 and the fine 50mm F1.4. Oh and yes the AF 540 flash too. He is really enjoying the kit.
Other friends are far too gone down the CaNikon route to change really (and we are talking about EOS 1D, 5D, 7D, D3, D300s etc. But do appreciate the Pentax images I take, and love some of the flexibility. But, when you have several L lenses, it is hard for them to swap. Never Mind.
Some Cameras

steven9761

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 22:57
On the Yahoo! Answers photography section, there's more than a few keen amateurs thinking of dipping their toes into the world of DSLR. It seems that they are being advised by the CanNikon snobs that probably couldn't tell the difference between an F-stop and S Club 7! I always try not to talk down Canon and Nikon gear, but instead try to promote the Pentax brand. Where relevant, I also leave links back to here, so that people can get a better understanding of what Pentax offers as a brand, and the satisfaction we all get from using Pentax over other brands. The CaNikon snobs are easy to spot - they always thumb down any mention of Pentax!
Last Edited by steven9761 on 05/04/2012 - 22:58

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 23:00
VonBatCat wrote:
Another Derby Lad - I have converted 2 Nikon users to Pentax in Derby and got one to join this site..... Derby on the rise.

It would be interesting to know how.

As in, what exactly didn't they like about their Nikon gear, and what it was about Pentax that encouraged them to change.

It is, after all, quite a big deal, changing systems.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

George Lazarette

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 23:05
It's a big deal if you have a big system.

Many people have just a body and one or two lenses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/04/2012 - 23:44
George Lazarette wrote:
It's a big deal if you have a big system.

Many people have just a body and one or two lenses.

Very good point. Should have thought of that. AAMOF, I know someone in that category.

She's very keen on the whole manual focus, manual exposure thing. Access to lots of good cheap lenses, with the added benefit of SR, makes her a prime candidate for switching to Pentax.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

annieogg

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 09:03
I haven't managed to covert anyone but was a convert myself albeit not from the Canon Nikon stable. When I first went digital I had been away from photography for a long time and seemed to remember Pentax nd Olympus being bigger players then.So I intended to go for one of them. I got a good deal on an Olympus E510 so went with them only to find lens limited. I bought a 70-300 lens for it which to be fair is an excelent lens has a long reach due to the 4:3 thingy (technical term)but it was really heavy and I found it impossible without a tripod. Tried monopod but I cant get the hang of them. So my friend (who seems to have more cameras than Jessop's)lent me a K10 with kit lens and a 70-300 lens. He said I could use the camera as long as I wanted and I had it around 10 months. Fell in love with it as its small fits my hand better. I have just fallen in love all over again got a K-5 and my friend is letting me keep the 70-300. So happy with the K-5 only have small hands and its just made for me.

guess this doesnt really count as when kids were small I got a pentax auto 110 so had been a pentax owner lol
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them

mecrox

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 11:06
I'm the only Pentax user in my local group and have been for at least three years now. When we meet the talk is much more likely to be about the last photo apps for mobile phones or tricks on social networking sites than it is about the conventional photographic brands. I wouldn't want to convert anyone anyway, but I have noticed that the few serious ones who move on into semi-pro land do so for FF on Canonikon.

The current round of price rises in the photographic industry makes me laugh a little hollowly. To judge from my local group (it's a Flickr one, but an organized and social one) the next generation of folks is interested in snapping on mobiles, video, connectivity. They are just as likely to by an iPhone or Xperia and really use its camera as they are a conventional SLR. By pricing themselves stratospherically above what these folks want to do with their photography and sticking firmly to "no cloud/wifi here, thanks", the established brands are well on the way to writing themselves out of the story.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 11:34
Of course with a unobtrusive camera/phone, if you're involved in a disaster, you can record it and sell the pictures to the papers/tv/mags etc. It all falls down when everyone else is doing the same
Regards
Stan

PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 11:39
Using camera phones and compact cameras is all well and good, but it's best for social and spontaneous photography.

Making quality images that stand up as images is something else entirely, and for that we really need a DSLR.

The right tool for the right job.
Best regards, John

Whizzkiddwill

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 11:59
Each to there own I say. I'm new to photography and on reading reviews of the other brands, I was not put off and still went with the K-x as I thought it to stand out above the similar priced other brands.

Will
Pentax K-x, DAL f3.5-5.6 18-55mm,Pentax-A 50mm f2, DAL f4-5.6 50-200mm, FG360FGZ
Last Edited by Whizzkiddwill on 06/04/2012 - 12:00

judderman62

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 13:26
convert ? Isn't that what Islam tries to do ? We all know how that's panning out.

How about live and let live as a philosophy instead ?
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

George Lazarette

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 13:29
judderman62 wrote:
convert ? Isn't that what Islam tries to do ? We all know how that's panning out.

How about live and let live as a philosophy instead ?

Islam?

Christianity has done much more to convert people than any other religion, and done it in nastier ways.

But I agree with your philosophy.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

judderman62

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 13:46
was picking one at random and agree re christianity
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Algernon

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 14:21
I've converted a few lenses
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

cabstar

Link Posted 06/04/2012 - 15:06
Why is there this need to convert anyone to anything, you buy a product, it either works for you or it doesn't.

I never understand why people want other people to be teh same as them, be an individual, it's more fun
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.