Had To Have a Play with B/W

puma
Posted 26/01/2013 - 13:21 Link
Well i have been having a go at doing some fine art and strong B/W please see below.

1. Comment Image



2.Comment Image



3.Comment Image


4.Comment Image


5.Comment Image


6.Comment Image


7.Comment Image


8.Comment Image


9.Comment Image


10.Comment Image
PPG link
McBrian
Posted 26/01/2013 - 13:46 - Helpful Comment Link
I like them all Shaun, lovely PP, what program/filter did you use?

No1 and No 5 might benefit from a little bit of staighting
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
puma
Posted 26/01/2013 - 13:52 Link
I used Photo shop cs5 And the filters i use are lee 3, 6, 9, hard ND
Thanks
PPG link
Snootchies
Posted 26/01/2013 - 14:07 - Helpful Comment Link
They all work extremely well in strong black and white. As people here probably know, this style is more my thing, and these are great. I'm jealous!

I especially like 1, but honestly its very close with the rest.

My only comment in the negative would be regarding number 5. I think the clouds are too strong, and its become more akin to a HDR image. Pull them back a little (not a lot, but just take the edge off them) and it would be a belter as well.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Edited by Snootchies: 26/01/2013 - 14:12
puma
Posted 26/01/2013 - 14:11 Link
thanks Bob your right Ive fixed no 5
this is what i want others see things differently and as long as it is constructive and helpful Iam happy as we all need help from time to time
PPG link
Edited by puma: 26/01/2013 - 14:14
swarf
Posted 26/01/2013 - 15:53 - Helpful Comment Link
I think that they're all good in different ways, really difficult to choose a favorite, but for me it's between 1, 7 & 8. If I was being really picky, I think that a couple need just a tad of straightening.
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
johnriley
Posted 26/01/2013 - 15:55 - Helpful Comment Link
It's an interesting effect, very pen-and-ink, like an engraving.
Best regards, John
andrewk
Posted 26/01/2013 - 18:10 - Helpful Comment Link
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please explain what the term "strong black and white" means - and how such images are produced?

Andrew
wvbarnes
Posted 26/01/2013 - 18:35 - Helpful Comment Link
High contrast while retaining tone would be my judgement. Very nice set. I especially like the brooding clouds over the finely detailed architecture.
puma
Posted 28/01/2013 - 22:06 Link
andrewk wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please explain what the term "strong black and white" means - and how such images are produced?

Andrew
Bills got it
PPG link
Blythman
Posted 28/01/2013 - 22:14 - Helpful Comment Link
Some excellent processing there Shaun. I'm waiting for the video
Alan


PPG
Flickr
puma
Posted 28/01/2013 - 22:16 Link
Blythman wrote:
Some excellent processing there Shaun. I'm waiting for the video
Done it a long time ago see link
PPG link
davidstorm
Posted 28/01/2013 - 22:21 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent work Shaun, all very good. The images were great before this treatment was applied and the processing makes them highly dramatic. Very different from what we normally see on the site and it's a pleasure to view them.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
aliengrove
Posted 29/01/2013 - 00:07 - Helpful Comment Link
Nice set!

I really like the first shot, especially the foreground, it sets off the whole image beautifully.

3, 4, 5 and to a lesser extent 10 look over-processed to me. I'd guess that some version of Topaz has been used on these, and I think it's been a bit overdone on the detail. 3 could perhaps do with a bit more in the highlights.

7 and 8 the processing looks to me like it's been done just right, lovely images. 9 I think needs a bit more subject matter on the left hand side. 10 I'd like to see a colour version.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo