Gritty portrait
Posted 14/04/2013 - 13:20
Link
It's sharp for your style John. Enormous texture and detail in the face with well controlled exposure given the lighting arrangement. Can't help but feel that had she looked at the camera, it would have been a whole different image.
Enough shadow detail to keep it balanced overall.
Best regards
Enough shadow detail to keep it balanced overall.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 14/04/2013 - 13:26
Link
Even with the severe lighting I'm not sure you would see "natural grittiness" with the naked eye, because it looks somewhat natural to me.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 14/04/2013 - 13:34
Link
I find it distracting (over-used word here).
I have a default position with editing: remove anything distracting or unsightly that's temporary like spots, or that's caused by my lighting putting essentially invisible things into stark relief.
If my brief is to capture a particular texture or appearance for posterity, that would be different.
BTW, I prefer it cropped tighter - less head.
Essentially a nice image imo
I have a default position with editing: remove anything distracting or unsightly that's temporary like spots, or that's caused by my lighting putting essentially invisible things into stark relief.
If my brief is to capture a particular texture or appearance for posterity, that would be different.
BTW, I prefer it cropped tighter - less head.
Essentially a nice image imo
Posted 14/04/2013 - 14:26
Link
Well John, I love it.
can't say I know many women that'd pay for this style... but... as an art piece. It is very telling that her natural beauty cannot be hidden.
I love hard lighting, I love the sharp lenses and many men would love this style for themselves...
I have one suggestion if you're open to experimentation...
I will often set up a lighting arraingement similar to what you have there, then throw on a ring flash to add a catchlight to the eyes and use the ringflash for contrast control fill... for the ladies I dial up more fill to soften the skin...
(if you don't have a ring flash then your largest umbrella or softbox used behind the camera for on axis fill works too)
can't say I know many women that'd pay for this style... but... as an art piece. It is very telling that her natural beauty cannot be hidden.
I love hard lighting, I love the sharp lenses and many men would love this style for themselves...
I have one suggestion if you're open to experimentation...
I will often set up a lighting arraingement similar to what you have there, then throw on a ring flash to add a catchlight to the eyes and use the ringflash for contrast control fill... for the ladies I dial up more fill to soften the skin...
(if you don't have a ring flash then your largest umbrella or softbox used behind the camera for on axis fill works too)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
This is my current image on EPZ, a gritty portrait of Melissa. I lit her so that she would be veiled in shadows and then decided to leave in the natural grittiness of the skin texture. This is a product of the severe lighting rather than any defect in Melissa!
It's just that I'm increasingly declining to remove and gloss things over in images, leaving them more in their raw state as found. We would have little choice on film, but with digital images we could go either way.
What are your thoughts?