Grips. Essential or not?

JohnX

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:33
I have a Pentax grip for my K20D. Been on the camera once just to check functionality. Never felt the need to use it.

Fast forward to my new K5II. Smaller body, but does it need a grip? If I buy one, will it suffer the same fate as the one for my K20D?

So, those of you with gripped K7/5 cameras, why? Does it help, or is it attached simply because you've got one or feel you should have one?
Last Edited by JohnX on 01/02/2013 - 18:34

cabstar

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:43
Balance, extended battery power, supposed to make AF faster...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:46
The control duplication makes vertical hold shooting easier, the extra battery gives longer between having to recharge and the spare SD card holder means I always have a spare.

That's on the K5,on the K200 it was just to balance the camera better.

I have and use a grip on my K5 and miss it when removed, that's personal though, if you want to try a grip get one of these and, if you feel it's worth while you can always spend a lot more on a genuine Pentax one.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 18:49
I prefer the size of the K10D/K20D so when I bought the K-7 I also bought a grip as I thought the body was a bit small. It has since been on my K-5 and today was fitted on my new K-5II ... never comes off. The only time has been when I have one of the pancake lenses fitted and want a small unobtrusive camera to take out.

Never seen it mentioned it makes af faster though.
. My Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 21:14
JohnX wrote:
I have a Pentax grip for my K20D. Been on the camera once just to check functionality. Never felt the need to use it.

Fast forward to my new K5II. Smaller body, but does it need a grip? If I buy one, will it suffer the same fate as the one for my K20D?

So, those of you with gripped K7/5 cameras, why? Does it help, or is it attached simply because you've got one or feel you should have one?

I bought a Pentax Grip for my K20D. I took it off after a while as it made the Camara too bulky. I never used the duplicate controls as I never had a problem with vertical shots using the regular controls. I always carry spare batteries and cards with me anyway.

Sold the grip and will never want one again. I do hope that Pentax, when they eventually bring out a suoper dooper FF model they don't make it with integral grip like the top end Canon and Nikon models.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 21:28
Personal preference really.

I have the grip for my K-5 and my K10D/K20D
It depends on where I am, what I am shooting, and what is on the end of the camera.

My 40mm Ltd looks both silly and harder to use when the grip is on the camera. On the other hand, my 50-135 needs the grip for balance.
On the other hand, the fact that it has the extra battery and I can keep shooting with having to change batteries is great.

Finally, and this is purely a perception, if you have the grip on, the camera looks more "pro" in some peoples eyes. Sad I know, but there you go.
Some Cameras

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 21:45
Couldn't care less whether it makes it look more 'pro' or not, but it feels a lot better in my hand with one. I've used one ever since I had an *istD (the reason I got that, even though it was discontinued, over the *istDS).

I don't have a battery in mine, I keep the remote control where the battery should be.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

mikeyscope

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 22:03
I usually prefer to keep batteries warm in my pocket but hope to try some time lapse and want to extend the operation time of my K5 in a single run so just bought a Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip...also like the option to use AA batteries if away from mains.

May sound obvious but be careful what lens is attached as the camera can easily fall forward if you instinctively lay it down on a worktop as you might have done prior to the grip being attached...thankfully mine was on a soft surface.
My Flickr Site

Blythman

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 22:04
Just tend to use it if I think I'll need the extra battery.

Being a left eye shooter, using the grip for portrait shots is more cumbersome than using the camera alone
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 22:16
Blythman wrote:
Being a left eye shooter, using the grip for portrait shots is more cumbersome than using the camera alone

I'm a left-eye shooter too, but have never found that a problem. Grips always on though, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

womble

Link Posted 01/02/2013 - 23:11
Most of the time I don't bother, I'd rather use the space in my bag for another lens or two. The only time I use it is when (a) I know in advance I am going to use something like the DA* 50-135 a great deal and (b) I think I am going to shoot a lot of images in a short space of time. As a result, I have used it once in two years! I leave the power turned off as I automatically use the normal camera controls and also I tend to mess things up by accidentally changing the settings via the extra ones.

Grips are one of those marmite things, one either loves them or can happily pass. In my case, I'll pass.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Blythman

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 00:17
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Blythman wrote:

I'm a left-eye shooter too, but have never found that a problem. Grips always on though, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Dan

Using the AF button on the grip, I'm just about poking my right eye with the knuckle of my thumb. So, even with the grip I tend to use the camera AF and shutter buttons
Alan

PPG
Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 09:53
I only use a grip when clients are around, they think they are getting more for their money, never use the vertical controls because I forget they are there
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

greynolds999

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 10:13
I find it really hard to use a camera without a grip.

I do think it makes you look like a more serious photographer which can help when you're fighting to get the shot, but mainly it helps to keep my portrait (orientation) shots straight.

However, I think if I went without I would learn to adjust.
My Photobucket

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/02/2013 - 10:21
I've never used a grip. I have no idea whether I would like one or not, but I am not prepared to fork out on one only to find I leave it on the shelf most of the time. I love the size of the K-5 as is, and am not sure sticking a grip on it would make it any better for.

No-one around here has one I could borrow to try so I could find out.

I think the answer to the question do you need a grip with the K-5II is to buy the camera, and try it gripless. If you really can't get on without a grip then buy one.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.