greetings

techno-terminator

Link Posted 14/11/2009 - 21:55
just joined - yeah kind of obvious

Have used a Kodak point and shoot for almost 3 years now - Kodak Easyshare C703 and got a bit frustrated 'cos I couldn't get what I wanted from it now .

Soooooooo it's upgrade time

I'm moving to a DSLR and it's going to be a bit of a culture shock for me I suspect - I've a steep learning curve ahead of me.

I'll be heading to the local FE College for an Improvers Photography Course in January so hopefully that will help
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

davex

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 00:19
Welcome.
So what are you upgrading to

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 14/02/2010 - 16:55

goggalee

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 02:17
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Pentax K10D, *istDS
Pentax 18-55mm,50-200mm,Macro 100mm
Takumar-A 28-80mm, Sigma 170-500mm, Soligor Teleconverter x2

Finally!! Sigma 10-20mm

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

http:/www.pentaxphotogallery.com/maliskaoosthuizen

techno-terminator

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 07:04
weeeeeell
I have 4 on my list - but I think one has been ruled out

So far , and in order

Pentax K-x

Nikon D3000

Olympus E 520

Canon Rebel XS or XSi

So far the Pentax is the front runner by quite a long way . It looks as if my transition from point and shoot should be fairly easy [ important ] , it's not too big [ my hands are fairly small ] and I'm impressed with what I've read about it.

Not yet handled one but I will be doing that next month when the plastic will be handed over for my purchase

Last Edited by techno-terminator on 15/11/2009 - 07:06

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 07:58
Welcome to the forum.

The K-x promises to be a superb camera, I've played with a K-m, they're the same size, and found it easy to get to grips with.

Just don't go for the Canon. The Rebel models are US versions of the EOS1000 (rock bottom and nasty) and EOS450(out of date model)as far as I can tell and as such may not carry a UK warranty.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

mr.mellow

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 11:06
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The older I get the faster I was.
Dave
K-3 II, K10D, DA16-85, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA18-55, DA 50, Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma DG 120-400mm APO HSM.
Metz 58 AF-1.

My Flickr link

techno-terminator

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:12
That's an interesting comment re the Canon

I had thought of it - quite a lot of thought in fact and was reasonably happy

TILL

I found how much of it was plastic - and having had horrendous problems with a white plastic MacBook which developed umpteen cracks in it's case [ long story ] I decided to rule the Canon out - hence it's the bottom of the list now

My new 'toy' will be coming from the Big Apple during a retail therapy trip

K10D

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:17
technoidiot wrote:
That's an interesting comment re the Canon

I had thought of it - quite a lot of thought in fact and was reasonably happy

TILL

I found how much of it was plastic - and having had horrendous problems with a white plastic MacBook which developed umpteen cracks in it's case [ long story ] I decided to rule the Canon out - hence it's the bottom of the list now

My new 'toy' will be coming from the Big Apple during a retail therapy trip

Welcome to the forum.

Bid Apple = B&H and Adorama. Tri State are also good. Do Not Buy from a Brooklyne store!!!

Best regards

techno-terminator

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:26
Since I'm staying with a friend - I'm relying on him to take me for it - J & R I believe , we are also going to Calumet for a Seminar on printing [ mainly for him - though I hope to pick up a few tips ]

I have Thursday and Friday free for the trying out of electronic 'goodies' and Saturday will be the go-and-get-it and hand-over-the-plastic day

Now you mentioned a Brooklyne store - would that be the one that is closed on Saturdays ? We certainly can't use a Saturday closed one - that's the only day my friend has for shopping

Greytop

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:31
Welcome to the forum
The Kx has to be favourite of that list
Regards Huw

flickr

K10D

Link Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:36
The three I mentioned are closed Saturdays (Sabbath) but any Brooklyn store is a risk. J&R are open Saturday so it may come down to that. They also do a price match with local stores...

Regards

gartmore

Link Posted 16/11/2009 - 07:11
Hi,

Which FE College are you going to? Be aware with US purchases that you may well have to pay VAT and import duty at UK customs, which given current exchange rates, may make your camera your camera more expensive than a UK sourced one.

A camera puchased from a UK Pentax Pro Dealer also comes with a two year warranty.

I would point out that it isn't just the Canon thats made of plastic, they all are. Metal insides with plastic outers have been with us since the 1980s and are nothing at all to worry about.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 14/02/2010 - 16:56

techno-terminator

Link Posted 16/11/2009 - 07:35
Langside - I looked at Cardonald , was impressed since they use Macs - but the travelling there hit me - Langside is much easier not to mention for us oldies allowing a much lower class fee - no reductions at Cardonald ! Considering they are both under Glasgow I find this difference curious.

Hopefully Langside will help with the steep learning curve

I'm aware of the possible problems - and actually have born that in mind

gartmore

Link Posted 16/11/2009 - 10:00
Sounds like you're a Southsider like me, The Met has a pretty good photography dept too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johnriley

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 16:57
Some comments edited to remove technidiot's real name.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.