Great news for Flickr users!..
Posted 21/05/2013 - 23:02
Link
200 sessiosn and don't know how long each session would take
will the limits be high enough on ipernity (or whatever it's called)
can't see how you can link to the image for posting on sites and forums
will the limits be high enough on ipernity (or whatever it's called)
can't see how you can link to the image for posting on sites and forums
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 21/05/2013 - 23:24
Link
I am used to scolling down my photostream and being able see the total number of views each image has. I don't seem to be able to do this anymore, I have to select each image.
When viewing the photostream and I move the cursor onto an image a diagonal arrow appears in the bottom right - I thought clicking on this would expand the image (same as clicking on the image itself) but it don't it expands a totally different image.
Don't like it
When viewing the photostream and I move the cursor onto an image a diagonal arrow appears in the bottom right - I thought clicking on this would expand the image (same as clicking on the image itself) but it don't it expands a totally different image.
Don't like it
Posted 22/05/2013 - 14:44
Link
sorry I meant on ipernity not flickr
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 22/05/2013 - 18:36
Link
I have no problem with change. I have no problem with improvements. The new Flickr sucks however. And for several reasons that are not subjective.
1. It's full of bugs. Some will get worked out in time. Some won't, because they are inherent in the design. (How do you see a footer if the page scrolls infinitely?)
2. It is crap on anything but a fast connection.
3. It is dire on a small screen.
4. It is not for photographers who care about looking at one image at a time. For some time now we have known about a little thing called white space, which acts to provide a ground to the image. That's why we matte photos. That's why we hang them with space between the frames. The new Flickr is instead designed for the ADD generation.
5. It is all about dazzling us with stupid meaningless upgrades instead of useful improvements. 1TB of storage. Yeah, we all need that. How about instead giving us access to RAW? Managing watermarks? Creating custom portfolios? Even selling images? There is a HUGE market there that Flickr could commodify.
Worst of all, Flickr did this without any consultation. They obviously have no idea what their users want and don't care. Rarely have I seen a more negative backlash against a site update.
1. It's full of bugs. Some will get worked out in time. Some won't, because they are inherent in the design. (How do you see a footer if the page scrolls infinitely?)
2. It is crap on anything but a fast connection.
3. It is dire on a small screen.
4. It is not for photographers who care about looking at one image at a time. For some time now we have known about a little thing called white space, which acts to provide a ground to the image. That's why we matte photos. That's why we hang them with space between the frames. The new Flickr is instead designed for the ADD generation.
5. It is all about dazzling us with stupid meaningless upgrades instead of useful improvements. 1TB of storage. Yeah, we all need that. How about instead giving us access to RAW? Managing watermarks? Creating custom portfolios? Even selling images? There is a HUGE market there that Flickr could commodify.
Worst of all, Flickr did this without any consultation. They obviously have no idea what their users want and don't care. Rarely have I seen a more negative backlash against a site update.
Posted 22/05/2013 - 18:45
Link
kh1234567890 wrote:
For migration, ipernity is the best - with their Greasemonkey script the stuff goes directly between Flickr and ipernity. All tags, descriptions etc are preserved.
Actually, I'd have to say that the easiest migration looks to be to 500px, photobucket, openphoto, or SmugMug since you can use pi.pe to completely automate the process.
For migration, ipernity is the best - with their Greasemonkey script the stuff goes directly between Flickr and ipernity. All tags, descriptions etc are preserved.
Posted 22/05/2013 - 20:16
Link
rparmar, thanks for the tip. Just transferring the first of my sets from FlickR to SmugMug. I can't stand the awful mish-mash of the new photostream on FlickR. Continuous scrolling and my carefully proportioned pictures crammed togetherortrait oriented pictures are particularly ill served. Pity, because a lot of the upgrade makes snese, but they forgot to allow anmy customisation whatsoever, I think they just assumed we all LOVE Face-bl^^ding-book!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything Changes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Posted 22/05/2013 - 21:53
Link
maybe not 500px :
http://support.500px.com/customer/en/portal/questions/1094591-bulk-imports-vs-st...
this is a local photo hosting site for local photographers
http://support.500px.com/customer/en/portal/questions/1094591-bulk-imports-vs-st...
this is a local photo hosting site for local photographers
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 22/05/2013 - 22:13
Link
smugmug is looking rather good
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 23/05/2013 - 12:29
Link
Had a quick look at the alternatives mentioned above and think I still like ipernity. The old flickr was certainly getting tired looking but, as the users liked it for the way it worked, it simply needed more options for users to customise as they wanted- ipernity seems to do this and is also nice and quick and easy to use.Hopefully the influx of ex flickr users will stay and grow the community. Think i'll leave my pictures on flickr for a while and make a banner for the top with the address of my account on ipernity to direct anyone looking for up to date pictures.
Posted 23/05/2013 - 14:39
Link
Ipernity is looking good for me. They have just released a bulk transfer script. You have to click on a couple of buttons every 90 images but the transfer is going well so far.
I will leave my images on flickr while I put the copies into sets on ipernity. After that, we will see but I expect I'll just delete my Flickr photostream.
Bit of a shame that it will leave broken links on here as I cannot edit posts to update the links...
Best wishes, Kris.
I will leave my images on flickr while I put the copies into sets on ipernity. After that, we will see but I expect I'll just delete my Flickr photostream.
Bit of a shame that it will leave broken links on here as I cannot edit posts to update the links...
Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



7676 posts
18 years
Hertfordshire,
mostly.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.